Marlin '94 PG conversion?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Marlin '94 PG conversion?

Post by centershot »

Hi guys! I'm hoping someone can help me out with some info on this. I have a Marlin 1894c that I really enjoy shooting, but I really wish it had a pistol grip stock instead of the straight stock. Are there parts available to convert this, or can you steer me onto someone who can convert it for me if this is not a "home-gunsmith" type of thing? I appreciate your thoughts on this!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin '94 PG conversion?

Post by KCSO »

Yes parts are available and it's not a hard conversion to do. Replace the lever and replace the buttstock. I would start at Brownells and for the stock Boyd's.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - more than just the lever & buttstock needs be replaced for conversion to PG.

Unless you want a canyon under the rear of the installed curved lever, where the issue straight lower tang doesn't curve down with the stock's pidtol grip - the lower tamg (bottom/trigger plate) must also be swittched from the thinner, straight-grip specimen to a thicker/curved PG unit.

All the small parts will readily swap/install between the tangs - but AFAIK lower tangs (PG or straight) are unobtaimium from the factory, making the best bet a swap with a private party having one.

centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Yes Pete, you're right, at minimum I'll need a lever, a lower tang and a stock. What about the upper tang, does it need to be bent to fit the contour of the new stock?
J. R. R. Tolkien
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nope, that's all you'll need - all the little fiddly-bits will be a straight swap/transfer into the new lower lang. The old tang screw will even fit, since a PG tang is built-up on the inside to compensate for the different distance.

centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Thanks Pete, I'm off to start shopping!!
J. R. R. Tolkien
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Its hard to find a PG 1894 trigger plate. They only made a couple that way. A guy over on Marlin Owners recently made one by cutting the 1894 lower tang Off & welding on a 336 tang. I thought of that awhile back but he's the first I'v seen do it. The weld will likely show unless you case or rust blue the reciever but its covered by the lever anyway. I think honestly, if I were looking to do this that would likely be how I went about it.