CASS Stainless Steel Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBCinID
Levergunner

CASS Stainless Steel Question

Post by DBCinID »

Like many I am intrigued by trying some Cowboy Action Shooting. I just bought the New Vaquero 357-4 5/8" barell in stainless, which I love shooting BTW. I really like stainless firearms. Anyway, I am looking at a Rossi 92 in 357 to go with my Vaquero, but was wondering if there were any restictions in CASS rules that preclude using a stainless steel firearm. If not, I am thinking about getting a stainless steel 92, unless there is something better for the money. I should probably get a mate to the Vaquero, I mean what kind of cowboy doesn't have a pair of six guns.

Thanks,

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: CASS Stainless Steel Question

Post by Griff »

None. An 1873 Winch, clone is arguably a better gun for that game, but an 1892 is still better than not playing. A 2nd revolver is required, unless a club near you allows a waiver for a newby. Gunslingers would more likely to be found with 2 sixguns in the old west; it'd be the RARE cowboy who'd own more'n one gun. Hollywierd images notwithstanding. You'll also need a shotgun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

Thanks Griff. I appreciate your experience and knowledge about SASS and lever guns. My comment about cowboys needing a pair of pistols was very much tongue in cheek. Mostly I was making fun of myself justifying buying another firearm. Like I really need a reason other than I want one, its legal and I can.

Thanks again,

Don
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

Forgot to ask, what do you think about the Marlin and Henry Big Boy? As far as shotguns, I have 2 side by sides now, both in 20 gauge. I could use my CZ as long as there isn't a limitation on a 20 gauge. Otherwise I could probably pick up a servicable Savage or something similar.

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DBCinID wrote:Forgot to ask, what do you think about the Marlin and Henry Big Boy? As far as shotguns, I have 2 side by sides now, both in 20 gauge. I could use my CZ as long as there isn't a limitation on a 20 gauge. Otherwise I could probably pick up a servicable Savage or something similar.
Don
Well-tuned Marlins are equal to well-tuned 1873, IMO; but, unless you are a good tuner or have access to a CAS knowledgeable mechanic, they can be problematic. There are several good mechanics out there for the Marlins. IMO, the "Big Boy" is best left to the slow-fire target or plinkin' range. It's the equivalent of running a Mack truck against a 911 Porsche at LeMans; I don't care who's at the wheel, I'll tell which vehicle will finish 1st!

Your CZ will be fine, you'd have better ammo selections w/a 12ga, but 7/8oz loads in either bore will knockdown all the targets. The lighter frame of the 20 will give more felt recoil, but most matches use less than a box of shells. If you're used to a 20, the gun opens fully and shells fall out like they were ejected, you're golden. (If your CZ has auto-ejectors, they'll have to be disabled). BTW, that's the issue with Stevens doubles, they won't stay fully open without being held or some mods. Hint: polish the chambers to a mirror finish and only use smooth sided shells.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

Thanks Griff! Your knowledge and insight will save me a lot of time and money.

My CZ has extractors, so that's OK. Chambers probably need polishing though.

Thanks,

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DBCinID wrote:Thanks Griff! Your knowledge and insight will save me a lot of time and money.
My CZ has extractors, so that's OK. Chambers probably need polishing though.
Thanks,
Don
Now if only I could convert that "knowledge & insight" into skill and winning times! Oh wait, I remember, that's what practicing does for ya!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

DBCinID, Griff has a Sass # that most would kill for, me included. His insight into the game is well to be heeded. He was participating in SASS when dirt was just forming.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

DBCinID wrote:Like many I am intrigued by trying some Cowboy Action Shooting. I just bought the New Vaquero 357-4 5/8" barell in stainless, which I love shooting BTW. I really like stainless firearms. Anyway, I am looking at a Rossi 92 in 357 to go with my Vaquero, but was wondering if there were any restictions in CASS rules that preclude using a stainless steel firearm. If not, I am thinking about getting a stainless steel 92, unless there is something better for the money. I should probably get a mate to the Vaquero, I mean what kind of cowboy doesn't have a pair of six guns.

Thanks,

Don
I'm not qualified to speak to the rules, but a SS gun can look quite good if you do it right.

Consider that a matte/bead-blasted SS finish looks very much like a gun that is worn to the point of "in the white"/no bluing.

Compare:

The bottom rifle is Bead Blasted Stainless. The other 2 are OEM stainless.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Really, quite a few folks compete with stainless guns... often they're those psuedo-bravuro types that want to dabble in black powder, but are afraid it will somehow eat blued guns overnight. I've seen SS guns that are shined so bright, it's difficult just looking that they aren't nickel. And Kim... you wouldn't believe how jealous I am of my wife's SASS#. But you'd chuckle if you heard how often I get asked... "...no, what's the REST of your SASS#?"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!