an inconvenient question #1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

an inconvenient question #1

Post by Grizz »

if
every vehicle presently on the road were electric

then
how much electricity must be generated
to drive those cars the same miles they
currently operate?

corollary 2
how many windmills would be required to do that?

corollary 1
how much electricity would be available for the
current usage after charging the cars?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: an inconvenient question #1

Post by BigSky56 »

:o Yup I guess those chevy volt dolts forget just how many gal of diesel or tons of coal it takes to charge up their car. danny
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

BigSky56 wrote::o Yup I guess those chevy volt dolts forget just how many gal of diesel or tons of coal it takes to charge up their car. danny
See , that is just the way You Repubs think. Don't You know that They just plug them into an outlet. :o :lol: :roll: :wink: :arrow:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's not unicorn fanny burbs?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

pwl44m wrote:
BigSky56 wrote::o Yup I guess those chevy volt dolts forget just how many gal of diesel or tons of coal it takes to charge up their car. danny
See , that is just the way You Repubs think. Don't You know that They just plug them into an outlet. :o :lol: :roll: :wink: :arrow:
Perry
Yeah, and those outlets are going to be lined up and down the streets. Everywhere. For Free! :roll:

Yes, it does come from unicorn fanny burbs. But, as we all know, the unicorns were too busy frolicking to get on the ark in time.
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
pwl44m wrote:
Perry
Yeah, and those outlets are going to be lined up and down the streets. Everywhere. For Free! :roll:
Not for taxpayers :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If everyone drove an electric car, the charging during the day would cause an overload of the electrical system. I now understand what a rolling blackout is.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

in a hydrogen discussion on another board, I made my standard point about steam methane reformers - where hydrogen comes from - and the fact that a hydrogen vehicle has a carbon footprint six times greater than a gasoline vehicle.

His answer was, "they can use nuclear reactors to crack hydrogen from water".
My reply, "show me, if they could do it, they would do it."
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The Law of Unintended Consequences:

What will the politicians, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, and the State Treasurers do when electric cars decrease revenue from the gasoline and sales taxes ??....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ray Newman wrote:The Law of Unintended Consequences:

What will the politicians, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, and the State Treasurers do when electric cars decrease revenue from the gasoline and sales taxes ??....
The same thing they are doing in California with the decrease in "for the children" Cig. tax revenue...

Whine and raise taxes elsewhere. :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I've always had a question about electric (not hybrid) cars. Do they have a heater capable of keeping passengers and driver warm in winter? If they do they can't have a range of more than a few miles when it's used.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

soon 2 retire wrote:I've always had a question about electric (not hybrid) cars. Do they have a heater capable of keeping passengers and driver warm in winter? If they do they can't have a range of more than a few miles when it's used.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Heh... the old VW Beetles with the 36hp engines required a supplemental gasoline-fired heater & blower to be ale to defrost the windshield...

Nothing new under the sun. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Details, details :roll: - deal with it, or travel like the ay-rabs - Camel ! :shock:

Just think: No taxes, no registration, no insurance, no fuel - just find some grass/water, every now/then. :mrgreen:

The only downside to a camel, is if/when you also carry a passenger - there's a possibility it could run away - usually when both riders get down for a look, when an automoblie passer-by says "look at the two azz holes on that camel". :mrgreen:

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I don't want a car that has less than a 100 mile range (worse in mountainous terrain like where I live).
Before the federales started taxing diesel fuel to death it was the least expensive fuel at the pump, and I owned both a diesel VW Rabbit and a VW pickup that got 50 MPG hwy so i was in fuel economy heaven those few years. I was getting over 400 miles a tank full. Oh the good old days.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The entire world can get a small diesel P'up with 30+ mpg.....Be sure to thank the EPA :evil: Full size American diesel trucks get 20mpg, so I know a small, properly built 3 ltr turbo diesel would do twice that, and still haul an average load, boat, etc.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'environment' is NOT the motivation for all this stuff - it's just the 'reason' that the naive and well-meaning 'liberal' Democrats are given, to get them to support it.

The goal is simply to do the same thing the Republicans do - "pick the winners" and get votes, campaign contributions, lobbying dollars, and ultimately - power. If the energy goes through the 'right' hands and 'chosen' businesses en route to the automobile, then all is right, even if there is MORE pollution and MORE inefficiency.

They're doing the same thing to Health Care, and about every other sector of the economy... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

[img]The%20'environment'%20is%20NOT%20the%20motivation%20for%20all%20this%20stuff[/img]

Never said it was. Just that the EPA, by fiat, has placed that sort of restriction on them. Ranger P'ups are not in production because of new CAFE standards . (Full sized still get a pass, and the small ones are not economical enough for the fleet to pass)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller got closest to the germ of the thing. making electricity to make a car go is WASTEFUL because it's adding in another system that makes the car miles more costly to operate, not less. electricity isn't free for workers, only for the 49%, and that's the voter block(heads).

sure wish I could find some numbers and graphs illustrating this point.

rolling blackouts!!!! that's priceless!

the whole thing is designed to take away your money so you can't afford to go anywhere. the less mobile we are, the more secure they are.

an us-them thingy

maybe there's a million-scooter-march, er, scoot-in someday

LOL
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:The entire world can get a small diesel P'up with 30+ mpg.....Be sure to thank the EPA :evil: Full size American diesel trucks get 20mpg, so I know a small, properly built 3 ltr turbo diesel would do twice that, and still haul an average load, boat, etc.

I would love to have a small diesel P'up. I just bought a new truck and the smaller v6 trucks available now (Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier) get mileage like a big truck - (i bought a big V6 truck instead - Ford ecoboost -- it does not live up to its mileage claims in real world driving either :x :x :x )

A small diesel p'up would help those who need a truck for a myriad of things, but dont necessarilly need to pull 10,000 pounds with it
----- Doug
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJMD429 wrote:The 'environment' is NOT the motivation for all this stuff - it's just the 'reason' that the naive and well-meaning 'liberal' Democrats are given, to get them to support it.

The goal is simply to do the same thing the Republicans do - "pick the winners" and get votes, campaign contributions, lobbying dollars, and ultimately - power. If the energy goes through the 'right' hands and 'chosen' businesses en route to the automobile, then all is right, even if there is MORE pollution and MORE inefficiency.

They're doing the same thing to Health Care, and about every other sector of the economy... :evil:
+1,000,000!!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Pete44ru wrote:Details, details :roll: - deal with it, or travel like the ay-rabs - Camel ! :shock:

Just think: No taxes, no registration, no insurance, no fuel - just find some grass/water, every now/then. :mrgreen:

The only downside to a camel, is if/when you also carry a passenger - there's a possibility it could run away - usually when both riders get down for a look, when an automoblie passer-by says "look at the two azz holes on that camel". :mrgreen:

Maybe they can harness some additional electricity from camel fanny burbs. Do camels fanny burp?
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I'm really in the dark about these new electric cars, someone please get me up to speed. My question is: Don't they have some kind of alternator/generator on them to keep the batteries charged while they are being driven ? Holy stuff I remember having a generator on my old bicycle that was operated by running against a tire to generate electric for front and tail lights. The alternators on modern gas engines keeps the electrics/electronics up to snuff. So, why can't something like this be used to keep the electric cars charged up ? :?: :?: :?: :roll:
UNITE
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mokwaw wrote:I'm really in the dark about these new electric cars, someone please get me up to speed. My question is: Don't they have some kind of alternator/generator on them to keep the batteries charged while they are being driven ? Holy stuff I remember having a generator on my old bicycle that was operated by running against a tire to generate electric for front and tail lights. The alternators on modern gas engines keeps the electrics/electronics up to snuff. So, why can't something like this be used to keep the electric cars charged up ? :?: :?: :?: :roll:
Conservation of energy/2nd law of thermodynamics forbids it.

Yes, most of these systems use some form of "regenerative braking", but you can never recharge as much as you use. Otherwise you would have a perpetual motion machine.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone where I work bought a volt. I just saw it in the lot today. I intend to find out more about it. From a moral standpoint I don't think I could ever buy a Gov't Motors vehicle. I'm looking at a F-150 w/ a 5.0 ltr engine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.