Winchester 71 trivia question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 71 trivia question

Post by big bear »

Can the experts tell me if Item 71 is original ( not the pad or swivel studs) but the bolt peep on a rifle with receiver drilled for receiver sights? (Collectors Firearms Item W4208) Don't look at the Stith scope mounted 71 further down the page, only the Lord knows what turmoil that might incite around these parts. Remember, I warned you not to look! I look at this site once and awhile to make me feel rich. They have a Win64 standard model for sale for $1,575 (I paid $700 for mine and thought I got took a few years ago)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 71 trivia question

Post by Rusty »

What site..

No link. :(
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Rusty wrote:What site..

No link. :(
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Generally speaking, they suffer from "fantasy-itis". Prices are far above the norm and some guns are obviously been altered, but not noted and sold as original. Don't like that crew. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

Highly unlikely that gun came with a bolt peep as it has a serial number above 45,000 and the use of that sight ended much earlier. With the popularity of the bolt peep, I would bet someone swapped bolts or, perhaps, had one added to the original bolt.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

The serial number puts this gun very near the end of the 71's run. My guess would be that the bolt has been replaced with one from a much earlier gun. Metal on this one doesn't look quite right to me, I suspect that an in-hand inspection would show it to be completely refinished.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.