Another question for our cop buddies.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Another question for our cop buddies.

Post by hightime »

One reason I havn't bothered to get a conseal and carry permit is that I was told that on a routeen trafic stop, the plate number ck. would indicate that I had one. I figure for some officers that might put them on edge. Is it true? I also heard that the first words out of my mouth should be to state the location of any weapons. Is that true?

Owen
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Another question for our cop buddies.

Post by ving-thorr »

I'm always on edge in a traffic stop, but bad guys don't get CCWs, so the CCW should tell a LEO with his head screwed on straight that you too have your head screwed on straight. The more things the LEO knows going into the stop the better he feels. As to whether you need to declare it, that may or may not be a state law in MN so not sure.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m not a cop but i`d think if your not a bad guy you`d would want them to know you have a gun on you or in the car so there arn`t any misfortunate misconceptions.
Sad thing is there are bad apples in every trade and bad things happen. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

As was said in the other thread,there is no such thing as a ROUTINE STOP. ROUTINE gets you killed. Any rookie who ever uses that word or phrase should be immediately and very clearly straightened out by his training officer, sergeant or other experienced officer.

I should add, I wasn't yelling, just highlighting the words.

Kevin
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

So it does come up on a plate check? I don't feel the need to conceal and carry, but in MN it also is a premit to buy, and I do buy.

Owen
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

hightime wrote:So it does come up on a plate check? I don't feel the need to conceal and carry, but in MN it also is a premit to buy, and I do buy.

Owen
Don`t know if it does or not, doesn`t matter to me because i won`t get one of their commie permits to carry.
Had one for over 25 years until the folks in MPLS and Duluth made it so ya have to pay for training and the permit. :x
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I believe it comes up when they check your DL, not your license plate. Definitely check your state laws, know them, and keep up to date on them. This is one of the best, most well-maintained sites for concealed carry laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us

According to that site, in Minnesota you do not have to declare to an LEO if you are carrying.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Another thing that happens is some officers don`t know the laws when it comes to carrying in a car.
In MN. you can carry a handgun in a pistol case unloaded in your car without a permit, at least it used to be that way, check to be sure.
Had a buddy that was stopped and the officer took his gun and they had to call the sheriff to straighten it out.

I think they should take all our guns away to keep us safe and from hurting ourselves. :lol:
Last edited by Pitchy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

In Colorado it does show up when they run your DL.

Got stopped one time and he took my DL. When he came back he asked me "are you going to shoot me?".

I just gave him a funny look and replied "why would I want to do that?"

Strange
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ving-thorr wrote:...the CCW should tell a LEO with his head screwed on straight that you too have your head screwed on straight...
That makes sense, but just like the LEO doesn't know for sure if he's dealing with a regular dude, nervous-but-honest type, or violent-felon-on-the-run, the citizen has no way to know if the LEO coming up to his car will have his head screw on straight, or not.

A close friend who is a state cop told me there's no way he'd recommend saying anything about having a firearm in the car or on your person, unless you were asked to leave the vehicle, in which case he said he'd advise telling the officer you have a legal firearm on your person. When I asked why, he said he knew too many officers (mostly urban area ones) who'd immediately go on red-alert, and start waving their guns around at the slightest excuse, or who had a chip on their shoulder and thought only LEOs should be 'allowed' to carry handguns... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In some states, the info comes up with the license info; in some states, it does not. In most states that allow concealed carry, mine included, any time an officer asks you for ID you are obliged to tell him you have a concealed carry permit. All the officers I know, and they are many, are glad to find out the person they are interacting with has a permit. It means thay have been through an FBI cring that, on two mfollowiinal record check and are law-abiding citizens. In the few times I have told an officer that I have a permit and am carrying, the response has always been, "Thank you, sir. Please leave your gun where it is." And following that, on two occasions, a friendly warning when I should have gotten a ticket.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not that I need it in WY any more (YAY!) but my "permit" and my DL are both visible (just like my hands) at the same time when shown to PD.
AJMD429 wrote:A close friend who is a state cop told me there's no way he'd recommend saying anything about having a firearm in the car or on your person, unless you were asked to leave the vehicle, in which case he said he'd advise telling the officer you have a legal firearm on your person. When I asked why, he said he knew too many officers (mostly urban area ones) who'd immediately go on red-alert, and start waving their guns around at the slightest excuse, or who had a chip on their shoulder and thought only LEOs should be 'allowed' to carry handguns...
That about sums it up...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

In California it doesn't show up on a license or license plate check. That being said, when I make a stop, I like knowing what I'm up against. Imagine a rookie cop at 2am trying to do right, traffic stops a person with a CCW, or fellow cop, who doesn't let him know he's armed. He reaches into his pocket for ID while seated or standing outside the car and partially exposes a firearm....and to make it worse, starts to re-adjust it out of habit. It could get ugly. The cops reaction is going to based on his or her experience and training. I've been stopped and I always tell the officer if I'm carrying or have a gun in the car. I don't want to surprise him or her. If I see a bulge or gun on a gangmember, my reaction would be a lot different that if its a middle aged man or woman that says they have a CCW. Just common sense. My suggestion would be to politely tell them that you have a CCW and you're armed, but that's an individual's decision. On a side note, I've never had someone tell me they had a CCW, but I have had several crooks/gangsters when being searched admit they have a gun, knife, needles, etc on them before it's found. No one likes to be surprised.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Sounds like good advice. I guess I don't understand the info tag on the plate reading in other states.

Owen
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

In Ohio it comes up if the registered owner has a permit. To me it's kind of an "automatic good guy indicator"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jkbrea wrote:... He reaches into his pocket for ID while seated or standing outside the car and partially exposes a firearm....and to make it worse, starts to re-adjust it out of habit. It could get ugly. ...
Have your Papers handy before the Uniform gets out of the car and keep your hands visible thereafter.

It shouldn't be necessary but "Your papers please!" left the bad WWII movie scripts for US reality a long time ago...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

How would you feel if you had the chance to have your CCW and having that weapon then and there could have saved you and/or your loved ones life/lives and by the thought (will having a CCW make my day bad because of some traffic stop) prevented that ?

God forbid you would regret that choice (forever)if that need ever arose.

Best way, keep things concealed/keep yourself in car with hands visible on the wheel with window down,(and only get out if police ask you too.
If so while you are right next to officer(and you think he is going to search you)he will say so.Then with a very calm motion as he asks (is there anything that you have about your person that is a weapon/needles/and such)very calmly say(Sir, I do have a legal CCW and have on my person my CCW legal handgun)while standing perfectly still.

For a normal traffic stop(remaining in car)keep your mouth shut/have license/registration/insurance card at the ready.
And do exactly as instructed and nothing more.
It's that nervous jerky motion/actions that gets you in trouble or worse.

JMHO though

My thinking-----answer to your question(NO)it don't matter having a CCW
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Washington State doesn't have a tag on your license whether you have a CPL or not.

Generally, during a traffic stop the driver just remains in their vehicle and provides the requested paperwork, driver's license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance. No reason for anything else. Now, if you were pulled over because of suspected of DUI, criminal driving (negligent or reckless) or some other criminal violation well you're going to get pulled out and all bets are off. If you were driving like that than you deserve to be pulled out.

I don't tell anyone I'm packing if it isn't necessary. As said, some guys shouldn't be cops, but they are. If I have to I will tell an LEO I have a CPL and I'm packing. I just won't make any moves to show him/her or hand it to them. I'll let him/her tell me what they want to do now.

Personally, I'm the only one armed while I'm working things out or until they're worked out. Then you can have your piece back. I've never had a problem with that due to the fact I treat everyone with respect until they determine it isn't needed.
Old Law Dawg
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

I am not a cop, but I have some friends who are. I see them quite often. They never ask if I carry, because they know I do... just as I know they do. It's just never mentioned.

There are a couple scenerios to mention here:
1. As some of you have said "have your paperwork ready when the officer asks for it". I did one time... never again, this way. My DL is always in my billfold, which I set on. To get to it, I have to unfasten my seatbelt. The officer accused me of not wearing my seatbelt. I explained. He did not accept my explanation, eventhough he didn't cite me.
2. At a "License Check", all they usually ask for is your DL. Usually, there is a waiting line. You have time to retreive it. That is all they see. They never ask for Proof of Insurance, unless there is something wrong with your License Plate.
3. I have been stopped twice for possible "violation". They always ask for DL and Insurance when the "lights are flashing". In those cases, I keep quiet, with both hands on the wheel. I explain to the Officer, where the documents are before moving my hands. Then I carefully collect and hand them BOTH my DL and my CCW Permit together, mouth shut. One time I was asked "where is it", I told him. The other time, nothing was said about the CCW Permit. In both cases, the officer seemed relieved that I presented the CCW.
4. In NC, your Permit comes up when they "run" your DL... not sure about the License Plate.
Also in NC, you are required to have BOTH your Permit & DL on your person.
Lots of good advice on here.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mac in Mo wrote:As was said in the other thread,there is no such thing as a ROUTINE STOP. ROUTINE gets you killed. Any rookie who ever uses that word or phrase should be immediately and very clearly straightened out by his training officer, sergeant or other experienced officer.

I should add, I wasn't yelling, just highlighting the words.

Kevin
+1
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

In this corner the same deparment that issues DLs issues CHLs, so they are connected and, yeah, they know.

A CHL licensee is required by law to declare to a police officer during a traffic stop which is kind of wierd because it's legal to carry loaded in your vehicle without a CHL, and loaded in vehicle non-licensee is not required to declare. So if it's on my person, I display the CHL and declare at the first polite opportunity.

Otherwise, I keep my hands in plain sight and my mouth shut until the officer says "License and Proof of Insurance, Please" at which point I inform him that I have a firearm in my glove box next to my insurance card.

The local cops are used to the situation by now, I reckon. It's been 10 years or so since I've seen one get really nervous about the whole "CHL guy with a gun" thing.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[doesn`t matter to me because i won`t get one of their commie permits to carry]

Amen, Brother.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pete44ru wrote:[doesn`t matter to me because i won`t get one of their commie permits to carry]

Amen, Brother.

Well the whole thing irritates me, it was a may issue policy here for years and i had one from the beginning.
They were good for everywhere in the state except Mpls, St Paul and Duluth which was printed on the back.
The people in those cities didn`t like that so someone got lawyers and changed it to a shall issue and requires that you go through saftey training and pay for it and the permit, around 150.00.
Now all the stores put up signs saying no firearms allowed in their stores so your forced to leave it in the car where it can be stollen even if you have a permit.
Also before if your local sheriff didn`t think you were stable enough to carry he didn`t have to issue a permit.
If i go traveling again i might have to get one if all the states start reconizing each others but until them heck with them.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

IN Virginia its tied to your DL and VH registration if the VH is in your name. And you are not required at this time to notify the Officer if carrying.

When ever i made a stop and the CCW warning popped up ,all i did was ask if they where carrying and where it was, unless they where acting stupid and doing stupid things thats as far as it went, I have never liked and taught that unless one of my Officers could articulate an Officer safety reason, to leave the darn thing alone, don't have the driver handle it and don't you take it.

We do have a problem in the Tidewater cities of Officers taking the weapon and running it for stolen, or disarming the citizen during the stop, Norfolk has a couple of Officers that will handcuff you to the steering wheel until disarmed
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:[doesn`t matter to me because i won`t get one of their commie permits to carry]

Amen, Brother.

Well the whole thing irritates me, it was a may issue policy here for years and i had one from the beginning.
They were good for everywhere in the state except Mpls, St Paul and Duluth which was printed on the back.
The people in those cities didn`t like that so someone got lawyers and changed it to a shall issue and requires that you go through saftey training and pay for it and the permit, around 150.00.
Now all the stores put up signs saying no firearms allowed in their stores so your forced to leave it in the car where it can be stollen even if you have a permit.
Also before if your local sheriff didn`t think you were stable enough to carry he didn`t have to issue a permit.
If i go traveling again i might have to get one if all the states start reconizing each others but until them heck with them.
I should add to stay with the topic i just don`t carry when i go somewhere, we never go to the big cities and stay home most of the time.
I say this because some are thinking boy don`t get stopped and have a officer find you carrying a handgun without a permit.
If i feel the need to take a gun i`ll put a cheap shotgun in the trunk along with some slugs in case i have to shoot a deer that has been hit by a car .
If i feel i need a handgun i`ll put a 1911 in a zippered case with a loaded clip beside it and if stopped put my hands on the steering wheel and tell the officer what i have in the car.
The problem again is your forced to leave your firearm in your car where it can be stolen.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Our club offers CCW permit training classes for Colorado and as part of it we bring in LEOs to discuss the law and the issues from their perspective. Every one of them has said that they appreciate knowing if you're armed even though it's not required that you volunteer the information unless asked. They also say that knowing that you have a valid CCW actually is a plus to them as it signals a 'good guy' reaction.

Case in point. I was a witness to a auto accident not long ago and the cop who came up to the car asked for my DL as he was taking my information about what I saw. He was very matter of fact in his questions until I mentioned that I had a CCW and was carrying and he thanked me for the information and said to just leave it where it was.

After he got the witness information, he asked me about what I was carrying, where I shot, and such. He mentioned that his unit had gone to our range to practice recently, that he was very impressed with our facility, and that he wished he had one like that close to his home.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

FWiedner wrote:A CHL licensee is required by law to declare to a police officer during a traffic stop which is kind of weird because it's legal to carry loaded in your vehicle without a CHL, and loaded in vehicle non-licensee is not required to declare.
I believe the TSRA is working on getting this little SNAFU fixed. It is an unintended (?) consequence of the recent change in the law to allow unlicensed carry in vehicles. As it stands, it is completely ridiculous that a licensed individual should be under a heavier burden to declare than the average citizen. I hope it gets ironed out ASAP.

Scott
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Fwiedner and RSA are correct.

I've been stopped several times before your car became legally your house (concealed off body allowed), and handing over my DL/CHL simply led to them asking where it was (right hip) and "leave it there and your hands on the wheel" with no further issues.

Though once I almost bumped a cop pulling out from a house (he'd come off a side street i didn't see, and the road was clear for 300m in both directions otherwise as I got in the truck).

The cop in question knew me, so he looks at me and says not "you carrying" but "how many".

I rattled off 2 shotguns, about six pistols (four on me) and five rifles with about 4,000 rounds of ammo and he went O_O so I told him me and my friend (also in the truck, with the other 2 pistols) were heading to the range and he got a good chuckle out of it.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In Texas your CHL will show up with a DL check but not a plate check. Having a CHL is the closest things to having a certificate of good character there is in Texas. It doesn't upset cops as anybody can have a gun in their car down here. They relax a little when they know you have a CHL.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Depends where you are. In CT you arent required to say anything so I dont. Its none of his business IMO, I'm not a criminal & I'm not going to hurt him. If I had to get out or thought it might be seen I'd mention it though. Not sure if it shows up or not when they run my info but if it does they dont care.
Senior Levergunner

BIG BROTHER

Post by 2571 »

MI shows up if a ccw permit is registered to the plate owner. So, if you don't own the plate or if you own the car but not the plate, nothing shows.

Our hunting & fishing licenses are linked to driver's licenses. Gosh knows why that is.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

MrMurphy wrote:...2 shotguns, about six pistols (four on me) and five rifles with about 4,000 rounds of ammo...heading to the range and he got a good chuckle out of it.
Glad you 'splained that! Starting to think of Mel Gibson's character in "Conspiracy Theory"...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like my badge better... even if does have that retarded... er, retired thing on it! Only problem when I get stopped... we spend 30 minutes swappin' tales and... well... not exactly lies!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Griff wrote:I like my badge better... even if does have that retarded... er, retired thing on it! Only problem when I get stopped... we spend 30 minutes swappin' tales and... well... not exactly lies!
How often do you get stopped? Got a retired badge, I'm 62 and have only been stopped 3 times in my life.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

2571 wrote:
Griff wrote:I like my badge better... even if does have that retarded... er, retired thing on it! Only problem when I get stopped... we spend 30 minutes swappin' tales and... well... not exactly lies!
How often do you get stopped? Got a retired badge, I'm 62 and have only been stopped 3 times in my life.
I suspect Griff pushes it. :D
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

kimwcook wrote:
2571 wrote:
I suspect Griff pushes it. :D
I can see that, especially when riding that horse through town with his sixguns on. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pitchy wrote:. . .Now all the stores put up signs saying no firearms allowed in their stores so your forced to leave it in the car where it can be stollen even if you have a permit. . .
I don't leave it in the car, I go shopping someplace that doesn't have a sign. And if I ever run into the owner or manager of the place with the sign, i politely explain to them why they haven't seen me spending money in their store lately. Money talks. It's not immediate, but it does make a difference.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

2571 wrote:
I believe he's a long-haul truck driver, now. Comes with the territory, I suspect.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If I get pulled over, I put both hands on top of the steering wheel and wait for instructions. As mentioned, there is no such thing as a routine stop. I want to make sure the LEO is as comfortable as possible. If carrying, this declaration is going to be the first statement out of my mouth after the LEO's instructions, and before I move my hands.