Projects.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Projects.

Post by Leverdude »

I put some pictures on my puter I thought I might share.

This is my 1894C I just refinished & reshaped the wood a little. The bolt side was very light wood & I had to stain it a bit so it didn't look like pine.
I used Tru oil to finish it & minwax cherry stain on the light side.

This is my 336 44mag I just put the barrel band with the stud on. I'm planing on useing the saddle ring as an attachment point on the other end.

This ones a 1889 38/40. Once I get the butplate fitted I'll send it out to get lined & headspaced. It'll be wearing an oct barrel at that point.
The butplates are current production type & dont fit the original pattern well. I may leave this action alone & not finish the metal. Its got some deep dings I dont think can get buffed out.

This ones a 1894 25/20. I bout got this buttplate fitted. Once its done then just like the 89 its going to Taylor machine for lineing/barrel instalation/headspacing. After that I'll fit the front wood & finish it while the gun goes out for caseing & blueing.

These should keep me busy for a bit. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Looks great and like a lot of fun!!! :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nice project. I need to follow your example and get something going. Looks like you have a very nice spot to work there.

I have a blond browning 1892 stock I'd like to get to the old red color, have any idea what stain would work for that?

Is minwax Helmsman too hard a finish for a stock? It's what I put on the toolbox to waterproof it.

Grizz
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Nice job on the wood-to-metal fitting!

I know of little else that is so frustrating and yet very satisfying, when finished.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Grizz wrote:Nice project. I need to follow your example and get something going. Looks like you have a very nice spot to work there.

I have a blond browning 1892 stock I'd like to get to the old red color, have any idea what stain would work for that?

Is minwax Helmsman too hard a finish for a stock? It's what I put on the toolbox to waterproof it.

Grizz
Thanks Grizz. I spend alot of time down there.
I'd experiment on scrap to get the color I was looking for. I try & stay away from stain mostly.

Helmsman might work well. I tend to shy away from polyurethanes but alot of people use them sucessfully. They certainly protect wood better.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Where can you get a straight gripped crescent butstock for an 1895 marlin cowboy 45-70 that is plain ? I don't want any fancy grain ,I'd be satisfied with a second.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Excellent! Just what I love to see.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Leverdude,

Nice!

Did the 1894C have the checkered grip and fore end? Been wanting to slim down my 357, but was worried checkering would be too deep.

Paul
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Ditto on Paul's comments and question. I would like to delete the checkering on my new 1894c but worry about taking it too deep in order to remove all the checkering
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well done.....very nice little rifle you got there.

Wm
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Rebel,

Any straight grip Marlin stock should fit your CB. Finding a modern crescent without the checking will be tough tho. You can buy a 90% inlettd piece from Precision gun works if theyre back up & running (thats where these came from) or from Treebone carving.

Paul
The 94C was already smooth but I'v removed checkering before from Marlins. I honestly cant recomend it tho. Sometimes its pretty deep & hard to make things right & stay above the metal. You have it easier than Rebel tho since the 94C has a regular butt. Watch the auctions for a used buttstock. Removing the checking from the forends a cinch. If you get a buttstock you can reshape the front & refinish both. pieces.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Once again Leverdude; you put the bar up very high! Very nice projects and making progress also. That's more'n I can say for mine. You answered my question about the source of the wood. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!