Kahr Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Kahr Arms

Post by 86er »

I've had a Kahr PM 40 for just over 10 years. I carry it as a first or second gun almost daily. It now has 4250 rounds through it. In 2007 I called Kahr and asked if I needed a new spring or anything else since the pistol was older and had a lot of rounds. Kahr promptly sent me new followers for all my magazines, a new spring and a new slide stop - they had improved the designs. Last week I tried to shoot a qualification course but the slide would not lock back on an empty mag. I called Kahr again. They quickly sent me two things to try - a new mag follower and a new slide stop spring. Well the slide stop spring solved the problem with the extended mags but not the flush fit mags. I called them again. The tech says "Ah Ha, that only happens when the magazine release and catch are worn". He promptly sent one out and it fixed the problem. During that call, I mentioned my wife has a PM9 of similar vintage but with only 1100 rounds through it. It worked fine. The tech threw in two new mag followers, a slide stop and spring and a mag release and catch for that gun too! Kahr has good guns and really outstanding customer service. I had no expectations of any "free" parts on a 10 year old gun, but they make sure it is back up and running whenever it has had a problem. On the other hand, neither of these pistols has EVER failed to fire/feed/eject/feed - so the reliability is great. Just passing this on in case anyone is pondering a compact pistol purchase.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Kahr Arms

Post by Mac in Mo »

That is good to hear, Joe. My bro-in-law and sis carry a couple of the PM9 pistols. I have fired them a few times and really liked the gun. Well made.

Kevin
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I had a K9 a few years back when I went through my 9MM "phase". Great gun right from the "getgo". I put over 3500 rds through it in about a year (mostly full power cast loads) and it never missed a beat, very accurate also. Thinking very seriously about one of their .380's for all the time carry.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have no experience with the product line.
But to hear a customer service rep be so helpful is a refreshing and good indicator.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Yup, I've had 3 Kahrs to date and still have 2; a P40 "Covert" (the predecessor to your PM40, with a 1/2" longer barrel & slide) and a P380; as I sold a nice PM9 to my daughter's boyfriend. The one time that I needed service/support, and others when I ordered parts or had night sights installed, I always got a great response from Kahr.

To me, they are the "Dillon" of the gun makers -- offering a "no BS" guarantee of a great American-made product. (My words; not theirs.)

Gotta love a Kahr 40!
(But the 380 will go places its bigger brother can't...)
P40C vs P380 02 (Medium).jpg
Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hope you don't mind me adding this other info, for those who check out this post and might be interested in the Kahr line:

Kahr Lube Diagram:
z Kahr - Lube Points.jpg
Kahr Cutaway:
z Kahr - Cutaway pix.jpg
Kahr Action... in action:
z Kahr - Diagram.gif
Enjoy! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Love my PM9. No problems ever. Only time I called CS was with questions about the replacement metal/higher-tension mag release (that some people needed), and they sent me one free of charge "just in case I have problems." A very well made pistol.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hope Ruger supports the LCP as well....Though, I doubt it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The only Kahr's I currently own are two Auto-Ordnance firearms; one made before Kahr owned them, and one after. Both are fine guns. I'll have to add a straight-up Kahr to the list!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson Jerry3 bought a PM40 about a year ago, it is now his main carry gun.I ordered the Trijicon night sights for him and had our local gun smith install them Jerry3 really likes them. So far it has run fine, reckon it should for a long time to come. My wife can hit golf balls at 15 yards with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KAHR'S are great...really nice to hear about good customer service...unfortuantely I'm so attached to the GLOCK platform, especially the 27 & 26 (they really work for me). BUT I would not have any problem in recommending a Kahr... :)
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Let me apologize in advance for bring so "wordy"...but I recently went through this topic in depth for myself, and thought somebody, who is currently having the same thoughts might appreciate my experience so here goes:
Awhile back, I decided to seriously research the CURRENT market for concealed carry options. I'm an "old school" guy, and have carried "old school" firearms of one type or another for a lot of years. Never owned a Glock. Never owned a laser-sight. I had been noticing that with the very welcome expansion of concealed carry laws, the market for handguns and holsters has exploded. Thought it was time to step into the 21st century and at least get myself educated. After a lot of research on the topic, talking to friends who were more up to date than me, going to gunshows to actually pick up and handle some of the new offerings, etc,etc...I made my choice. My personal criteria for an EVERYDAY carry piece are that it go off everytime I pull the trigger and that it be a handgun I can have on me AT ALL TIMES. The finest super-hot-.T-Rex-killer-custom-combat pistol on the planet isn't gonna do me much good in my drawer when I'm at a convenience store late at night and there's a problem. Can't see myself telling a bad guy..."wait right here...let me go home and get my super-custom-combat-masterpiece...and you're gonne be in real trouble"..!!
In making my choice...cost was not a factor.
I brought home a Kahr CM9.
I'll be the first one to tell you, a new Kahr is not a wise purchase for the citizen who wants to buy a handgun, get a box of bullets for it, load'er up, and feel safe. Kahr tells you that their CM9 requires some break-in, proper care, lubing, etc. All that is fine for me, and probably most here....since we're all pretty much firearms enthusiasts already. Not so for your buddy who doesn't shoot much, doesn't reload, just wants to keep a handgun around.
On the caliber issue...once again...being old school...I have always tended to rely on .45acp. With the new ammo offerings on the market...I studied on it for awhile, and found that there are 9mm rounds available that have a good record in law enforcement circles for doing what they should, when they are needed. For my Kahr, I chose Federal Premium Law Enforcement HST 124 JHP rounds. It's a compromise...but one I am willing to make. They have provided flawless function and overall excellent performance at the ranges I'm shooting, which is 15-20 yds.
Not gonna open the topic of concealed carry holsters. I've already written too much. I found one I like...there's a LOT of new choices out there.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I love my Kahr CM9. Not as much as I like my Glocks, but my purpose for the Kahr is better concealability. (is that a word?) I'm not too recoil sensitive. The only time I notice it is trying to shoot from anchor point since the butt is so short it won't reach past my gut and hit the hip bone.

Smith announced a new 9mm Shield this week. Very interesting pistol, but heavier and larger than a Kahr. Not sure if it has mag disconnect safety or key lock.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

There is a Kahr forum here-http://kahrtalk.com/forum.php

I bought my P40 with night sights back in '04.
I've added the compensated barrel from Kahr, it's on the Kahr website under accessories if you hunt for it. Also added a Limbsaver stick on recoil pad for pistols and Wolff springs.
It works every time.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

A bit off topic, but I'm glad to hear of their fine customer service. I have 2 BFR's and Magnum Research is now owned by Kahr.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Boy I wish Kahr treated me like that when I purchased a pm40, maybe I would still own one. My experience was horific and they would not make it right. I am done with them my self. Glad they treated you better.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I have a PM909.....after 300 rounds the front site worked lose....and I had a couple of failures to feed....and after a call to the service dept I had it back in 10 days.....they polished the ramp/slide etc and years later and at least 2k of rounds through it I still carry it everyday....I qual on it on the same dept course as my issue SIG 229.....complete confidence w/115 +P+ Gold Dots
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i always like to compare Speer Gold Dot in 9mm and 40S&W...if you notice carefully you'll see that there in only 10 foot-pounds of energy difference between the two (see below for comparison) out of the muzzle. And since most personal confrontations occurs under 15 feet that is significant.

i personally feel that the .40S&W is somewhat over-rated and has more recoil than needed (just my opinion others may feel differently). It starts life as a high pressure round which can cause excessive wear on duty guns. that's why when Smith & Wesson developed their M&P line of autos they beefed up the frame, extractor, and other critical areas in order to handle the .40S&W effectively. That's the same reason why Glock came out with the Gen4. I also heard a rumor that the Border Patrol swithched their .40S&W ammo from 155gr. to 180gr. because they discovered excessive wear from the 155's--remember only a rumor, but i wouldn't doubt it... :)

Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +P 124 GDHP -- Energy: 410 fps at muzzle

Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 180 GDHP -- Energy: 420 fps at muzzle
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In regard to 9mm v. 40, there will always be an ongoing debate. What I personally refer to is a real-life situation. A certain Police Dept in a large southern city was using 115gr +P 9mm from a Ruger P85. There was poor performance in actual shootings so they went to 147gr Win Black Talon. The effectiveness did not improve much so they went to 124gr Golt Dots. While the ammo seemed to function and perform as designed, they were having a hard time stopping bad guys. Then they went to a Glock and.40 cal and first the 180gr Black Talon. A year later they switched to 165 gr Gold Dots (that was 1994) that they still carry. Comparing their last 5 years of police shootings with the 9mm and the first 5 years with the 40 shows some interesting results. With the 9mm - 12 people were shot, the average # of "center mass" hits was 8 and 6 of the 12 people died. With the 40 cal for a 5 year period, 8 people were shot, the average # of center mass hits was 4, and all the perpetrators died but one that was hit only one time in the leg. Those are the facts, you can draw your own conclusions from the information.

My Glock has 41,300 rounds through it, every one of them CCI Gold Dot 165gr. It has had several recoil springs and a trigger spring, and has new slide retainer and spring. Otherwise, it works fine and has never jammed even once. I do not thing a Gen4 Glock has anything to do with cartridge. Also, while I appreciate input from everyone (so don't take this wrong, whomever) the Border Patrol switched ammo because the Dept of Homeland Security got on the piggy-back contract with DOJ for ammunition and thereby saved money - nothing to do with the firearms. Almost all Gov't agencies use piggy-back contracts for ammo. Most use .40 but there are some 357 Sig, 9mm and 45 ACP sprinkled in there. Within one agency, different law enforcement agencies may have different calibers, so each entity can piggy-back a contract from another department:, ie: Air Marshals and Secret Service use 357 Sig but Border Patrol used .40 cal.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I had a pilot come out with the owner of the ranch to test fire his Kahr 9mm. He came back in to the barn and was upset with it's accuracy. The owner and I ask him what where it was off. He said it was shooting low and to the left. He said he was ready to trade it off or get whatever he could for it. I ask to see it and it fit my hand like a glove. I told him I might buy it from him for half of what he paid for it if he really wanted to get it out of his possession that bad. I winked at the owner and ask the pilot if I could test fire it. He said sure. We went to the Iron pile and I let off three rounds at 25 feet. All three rounds were in the center of the point of aim and almost touching. I looked at him and said I must be pulling up and high. :D I told him a few pointers and he did quite well with the next five rounds. I ask him if he still wanted to sell it to me for half price. He grinned at me and said "hell no". We all had a good laugh. That was the first time I had shot a Kahr. They are sweet pistols.
"That'll Be The Day"
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

First of all, I am a Glock man so I am used to unparalleled reliability with little to no breakin or maintenance.

I looked around for a deep carry .380 pistol for a while and finally settled on the Kahr P380. To me, it is the perfect size for a pocket pistol. Not quite as thin as the Kel-tec P3AT or Ruger LCP but very thin and it also has the last shot hold open. I carry Hornady's Critical Defense ammo in it and have never had a failure with that ammo.

One problem that has happened a few times is light primer strikes. Pull the trigger and "CLICK" no boom. Upon inspection it looks like the striker barely touched the primer. This has happened a few times and I haven't had the time to investigate further. Another problem I have noticed is that I cannot insert a mag and then rack a round into the chamber. The slide must be locked back, mag inserted, and the slide release pressed. I have also noticed that every once in a while the slide will not return to full battery when doing this. I have to push it about a 1/4" to get it into full battery. All of this, of course, makes me nervous.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only Kahr in my household is Sighthunter's Kahr CW9. It is a great little gun, and Kahr's service is excellent. I would have no worries about getting another. I just haven't needed one yet, but I will probably save up and get one in .40 cal within the next year.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost