Anyone used Woodleigh bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone used Woodleigh bullets?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm looking for user experiences with Woodleigh Weldcore bullets. I'm interested in the 303 215 gr RN SN specifically. My preference is for tough jacket deep penetration.
Hobie

Re: Anyone used Woodleigh bullets?

Post by Hobie »

I have never shot one on game but they are accurate. I use mine in my 7.65 Argentine carbine. This is ballistically about the same as a rimless .303 British...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Used 300 gr. Woodleighs in my 1895 Win 405 on everything from impala to eland. Very accurate, expanded to .75 and retained over 90% of their weight.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I am using them in my .405 also. Loaded the .411 400 grain weldcore and solids for upcoming hunt. These bullets are made for the 450/400 NE and have a good reputation.
See Link:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=41343
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I use them in my 50 alaskan. Kill big bears --dead, dead, dead and leave nice BIG holes on both sides. :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've used and tested quite a bit of Woodleigh's selection but I have not shot game with the 215gr .311. I've used .375 (300 RNSP and RNS), .411 (400gr RNSP and RNS), .458 (500 JFP and RNS and 405 SP made for 45-70). The biggest disappointment of the above was the .458/405 in the 45-70. At two different velocities they ranked as some of the poorest performers. This was due to lead crumbling and erratic expansion characteristics. We shot a longhorn/watusi hybrid bull with them. The jackets chipped and broke off as they opened and the best description for the lead behavior is "crumbly" as there were little bits and pieces throughout the wound channel. They did not penetrate better than other 405's nor did they expand as well. On the other hand, the .411/400's were outstanding. In my 450/400 3" DR myself and many clients shot cape buffalo, water buffalo, giraffe, elephant and hippos. Most of the solid could be reloaded and shot again, and the soft points opened uniformly and held together like a bonded bullet should. The .375/300's and the .458/500's performed above average for those bullets I tested. So, overall I have been pleased with Woodleigh but I was able to eventually find something as good or better in each caliber/weight. Specifically for the .303 Brit, I used the 215 gr .311 because my sights seemed to be regulated to that bullet going 2300 fps. My accuracy was less than other ballistic combos though, with 3" groups at 100 yds off the bench. In comparitive penetration tests that include ballistic media, water, wet and dry phone books and carcasses of animals I was surprised to discover that I was able to get the same exact penetration with the Hornday 174gr .312 at 2550 fps. On large carcasses the penetration averaged 20.5 inches for the 215gr and 19.25 for the 174gr. However, the 174 grain got that penetration with expansion that was 20-40 % larger frontal diameter than the 215's. The downside to the 174's in my rifle is the point of impact with the non-adjustable peep sight. Set on the "300" aperature they strike 4.75" high at 100 yards. But, the groups are down to 1.5", so I am using a 6 O'Clock hold and compensating for the sighting at close range. I probably would have stayed with the 215 if they were cheaper and more accessible but for $27/100 at Bass Pro, Cabelas, and most gun shows around here I chose the Hornday's (and I am not a Hornday fan). My clients has taken whitetail deer at 150 yards, Oryx (350 pounds) at 100 yards, Addax (370 pounds) at 80 yards, Sable (350 pounds) at 125 yards and Aoudad (210 pounds) at 60 yards. So frankly I cannot comment on actual game performance on animals over 375 pounds at this point. My only reference to bigger animals is based on bullet testing on an already deceased but intact 900 pound animal - where the 215's and 174's thus loaded were similar in performance. I don't think I answered your question directly but I hope you can decipher some information from these findings to help you make an informed decision. If you do experiment any, please share the results!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for the replies. 86er your experience with Hornady Interlocks for the 30-30 and 303 keep amazing me. For my two rifles I might be better off using them. What i want is top notch penetration from muzzle to 50 paces and your tests give them high marks for the price. The Woodleigh's are stupid expensive but not many are required.

Are you interested in sharing your 303 215 gr 2300fps load. My Enfield is a little No.5 in like new condition with tight headspace and chamber and the lugs mate perfectly.

I may have tracked down some 215 gr 303 CIL KKSP and Norma bullets. Some fine Canucks are checking thier old stock and will let me know soon.

I will report if I source these different heavy weights.