Surprising results, what kills 500-800lb boar hogs best

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Surprising results, what kills 500-800lb boar hogs best

Post by madman4570 »

Yesterday was at a friend of my buddies place.
Talking about shooting/guns and such.
He had this old VHS tape of guys on hunts taking extremely large wild boars.

I tried to see what the name of the VHS tape was but it didn't have anything whether on the tape itself or the content of it)???

But anyway, there was about 8 different hunts and they used different guns/calibers etc.

What I came away with(at least watching this tape)was with these huge hogs it is far better to have an extremely accurate weapon/be able to shoot that weapon (and use FMJ's) and head shoot em.

I was blown away how much punishment these monsters could take.(I know from shooting roughly same weight black bears)it appears these hogs are MUCH TOUGHER to (put down and kill)
I am taking about (from what I could see)7 rds from a 30-30/ 8 rds from a 454 Casull/ 13rds from a .40S&W/ 15rds from a 45ACP
and 5 rds from a .338 Win Mag :shock: and most of the darn things still layed there and kicked and wriggled around??

Then what killed them the best????
The guys said because their AR15 guns were so accurate,it is extremely easy to (head shoot em)
They used standard 55gr FMJ
Of the 3 hunts (hogs weighed 630/710/805lbs)each one was stopped (right there)without just acting like a bee only stung it. :lol:
The 805lb one,when the guy hit it,it just starting staggering in circles,hit it again and down it went.
The 710lb one the guy side head shot it and it folded right then and only twitched a couple times with its feet.
The last hunt,the 630 charged them (using dogs and the dogs ran it back towards them)and the fellow shot it looked like below right eye and it went down/stayed down.

So, what is the deal???
I am rethinking about possible defense scenarios ???
Maybe for black bear (a accurate AR15 with FMJ's) might serve one well??????????
Surprising thing was when the guys used other than the .223 shooting them (and places that looked like good hits)AND even when up close(about standing over them after taking many hits)and head shooting them(they still tried to get up)??? :shock: WT?

The little .223 just put em down from safe away distances.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Surprising results, what kills 500-800lb boar hogs best

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Where I grew up Granpa Fikes raised hogs. Big brutes. He used a caliber .22 long to dispatc them. Straight into the ear canal. I remember him saying numerous times.. Kill the brain and the body follows. That is my primary shot on ground hogs with a 32/20. Always puts then down right there. All critters are alike. Fellers that hunted for ivory used all sorts of calibers.. any that would reach the brain. Lots of FMJ military rounds dropped elephants real regular. But you have to hit that brain and if the head is moving about it can sure be tough. But relaxed grazing aminals are not that tough with an accurate rifle.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We kill tons of hogs every year and have little problem killing them with medium calibers. I'll admit, 300 pound range is about the biggest we see so 2-500 pounds more weight is a lot of consideration. However, what I find with most clients is that the shot placement is not ideal. Hogs have a forward situated heart just above the leg joint straight in line with it. The from there the lungs are kind of a -\. In other words, on a right-facing hog the lungs will go up and back. If you shoot it like a deer, behind the shoulder and centered or slightly low, you actually shoot under and behind the lungs. A 35 Rem, 45-70, 35 Whelen or '06 has never failed to put one down quick with the right shot - either through the shoulder on the top of the heart or through the lungs. I wouldn't trade your calibers for any .223 for this purpose.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The main gist of the OP is that those shooters were REALLY BAD SHOTS.

Head shot is the best shot. Made lots of venison and it's my first choice.

Watched a video of the steel ddupleks 12 ga slugs on hogs. Literally gutted a couple of them. The vent holes were about baseball size. Not great shooting but if someone is a bad shot, then that's the slug to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIuPs70C ... re=related

I don't know where the hog kill video with these slugs is.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

86er wrote:We kill tons of hogs every year and have little problem killing them with medium calibers. I'll admit, 300 pound range is about the biggest we see so 2-500 pounds more weight is a lot of consideration. However, what I find with most clients is that the shot placement is not ideal. Hogs have a forward situated heart just above the leg joint straight in line with it. The from there the lungs are kind of a -\. In other words, on a right-facing hog the lungs will go up and back. If you shoot it like a deer, behind the shoulder and centered or slightly low, you actually shoot under and behind the lungs. A 35 Rem, 45-70, 35 Whelen or '06 has never failed to put one down quick with the right shot - either through the shoulder on the top of the heart or through the lungs. I wouldn't trade your calibers for any .223 for this purpose.
Shot placement is all about anatomy. Hogs ain't deer. Shoot a Hog like you'd shoot a deer and you will probably Fail. Shoot a hog like you'd shoot a meth-upped car-jacker and it will work every time...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Every single hog that has run headlong into my 30-30 and 30-06 has departed this world most expeditiously.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

here is a pretty good video of Boar shooting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wXW5S5jDA

dead pig everywhere
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Military loves the .556 for 40 years. If it couldn't kill they would have replaced it long ago. I think the American shooter has a mindset of "use enough Gun" to the point that they use "Too much gun" :P
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

tman wrote:Military loves the .556 for 40 years.
Having been issued one of those .556 rifles I don't find that a positive endorsement.
If it couldn't kill they would have replaced it long ago.
It doesn't. It incapacitates. And they did. More and more troops are being issued 7.62 Main Battle Rifles again.
I think the American shooter has a mindset of "use enough Gun" to the point that they use "Too much gun" :P
No such thing as "overkill" just "not enough ammo" and/or "too few targets".
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

seasidehunter wrote:here is a pretty good video of Boar shooting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wXW5S5jDA

dead pig everywhere
Said it before/say it again (best cartridge I have ever shot is the 7MM Rem Mag)
Elk/Moose/Bear all I have shot have fallen in a blink.
Nothing in NA with a stout 175gr load I would hesitate on.

Look how little the gun shoves him at the shoulder.
This lets him follow up fast and accurate.
That guy can shoot! :mrgreen:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I killed a boar last year with a head on shot under the right eye. Used a Marlin 1894 in .44 Rem. Mag, 240 gr. XTP. Dropped where he stood and twitched a couple of times. No exit wound and I didn't butcher him so I don't know the penetration, but, as Jerry Clower would say, it killed him graveyard dead.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm sticking with my 44 mag Marlin, never had to shoot a pig twice with it in 36 years with it. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Know the animals anatomy. Know where to put the bullet. As stated above they ain't deer. Biggest wild boar I have killed was just under 300lbs. dropped him in place at 20 yards with a CCI stinger down the ear hole. I was squirrel hunting when he showed up.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Guess i need to find a way to email the Iniut Eskimos' and tell them that their .222 remington of which they have used for the past 50 years to take polar bears and walruses don't work. Hope that the tens of thousands of dead VC killed with the .556 can't read this post.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When them goomers get big---------------wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViXU8eXU94
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

tman wrote:Guess i need to find a way to email the Iniut Eskimos' and tell them that their .222 remington of which they have used for the past 50 years to take polar bears and walruses don't work. Hope that the tens of thousands of dead VC killed with the .556 can't read this post.
The OP was discussing "boom-Flop" kills, and specifically mentioned "boom-twitch" as being undesirable.

.556 is a "boom-twitch" killer.

.308 is a "boom-flop" killer.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Dead is dead :wink:
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

66GTO wrote:I killed a boar last year with a head on shot under the right eye. Used a Marlin 1894 in .44 Rem. Mag, 240 gr. XTP. Dropped where he stood and twitched a couple of times. No exit wound and I didn't butcher him so I don't know the penetration, but, as Jerry Clower would say, it killed him graveyard dead.
I did the EXACT same thing except it was the left eye and it was back in about 1991 or so. Same result, entry, no exit and DRT.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

.45C behind the ear with old fashioned RNFP about 900 fps did the job for me when I had 'em in the trap.

rimrock
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have killed hogs with almost every gun I own from .22CB to .45-70, .223/5.56mm included. I've found the .223 to be an effective killer but like any tool, it needs to be used properly. The plain fact is that a sloppy, bad, or misplaced shot makes a sloppy kill. I mean, really, who doesn't know that?

It is well established that a head or neck shot that instantly deprives an animal of CNS functions will most often drop the critter on the spot. (I can't explain it but it doesn't always work on sharks.)

Put a bullet into the animal in some random body part or cavity and you'll get a random or unpredictable result.

On small hogs, the 'boiler-room' shot will most often work, but once they head up toward 200 lbs that shot starts getting a little sketchy, and IMO it's better to go for a head or neck shot and just drop 'em without the foolin' around.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've taken a few Florida hogs with my Win 94 Trapper 357mag with the 180gr Hornady silhouette over 12.7gr of 2400.

Side shot to the head always put them down on the spot. No muss no fuss. Just dead.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I guess I am wondering why their AR15's are so accurate, but other rifles are not? I would argue otherwise.
I have shot a lot of hogs in my life, all with a 22LR (a couple with 22 short) Granted, they were all 225-270 lb hogs.
I would say alot of cartridges could work on hogs. From .223 on up to 450 Marlins.

I do know one thing about pigs, their anantomy is screwed up, in the sense that things aren't where most people think they are, even their brain is weird. You can easily miss the brain shooting hog straight on.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Any bullet in the right place is better than any other bullet in the wrong place.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I used to help with hogs butchering when I was younger. All we use was a .22 lr shot between the eyes and up a bit. Dropped em on all fours. Rolled em over and stuck em with a knife between the front legs to pierce the heart. You ever hear the phrase " squeal like a stuck pig" ? They can make a high pitched squeal sometimes when stucked.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:
tman wrote: If it couldn't kill they would have replaced it long ago.
It doesn't. It incapacitates.
Theres a lot of dead people in southeast asia, eastern europe, and the middle east that might disagree. It kills quite well, and the newer rounds are making them more and more effective.
More and more troops are being issued 7.62 Main Battle Rifles again.
No. A few designated marksman are getting scoped M14's, but 7.62 is not being issued as a main battle rifle to anyone. Nor will it ever be.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

(I can't explain it but it doesn't always work on sharks.)
that's funny right there. I've shot a lot of fish. .22s stun king salmon and it's more fun to shoot them than to gaff them, IMO.

I had a largish halibut up to the boat one time, over 300#s in the round, and mad as cow disease. I shot the brain pan, if you can call it that, 5 times with a .357, 158 gr jsp, and she was still madder than a challenged banty rooster. Wound up chaining her head to the rigging and steaming for a nearby harbor. She was shaking the rigging so hard that I wondered if the mast was going to stay up. She bled out and expired on the trip into Deer Harbor. After that I just clubbed them.

Grizz