Do you buy the same guns over and over?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Do you buy the same guns over and over?

Post by El Chivo »

I was thinking about buying a new gun and my mind rebelled because it would not have been like the ones I already have. I have several calibers but the guns are quite similar. It would seem that variety would be ideal in a collection but mentally I'm having trouble with it. How varied is your collection, or are they mostly the same thing?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Do you buy the same guns over and over?

Post by model55 »

Once upon a time Big 5 was my friend and I carried many a mauser home on the basis that my loving wife wouldn't notice and they were cheap.If one was good two had to be better.Worked great till I ran out of space :oops:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At this point I realize I have enough 'duplicates' (or close-overlaps) that I'm selling them or trading them so I can have fewer guns, but finally get the ones I really wanted in the first place. Kind of like trading four or five half-arsed 'sport' sedans for one Mustang Mach One...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mine is so diverse that You couldn't tell what I liked best by looking. I will buy anything if the price is right and I think I can make a buck on it.
Tell Us basically what You have and what You were contemplating, maybe We can help You through this. LOL
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Once I settled on a few key rounds my buying tended to overlap, and my last actual purchase was definitely one redundant gun too far.

Other than my dad, the two male family members I most looked up to were opposites in their buying habits: one would buy a very good-quality item and take some extra care of it over time, while the other tended to buy middle-of-the road stuff in Noah's Ark style (two of everything) just in case the first one failed. Only one of them left a lot of virtually unused items that brought pennies on the dollar at an estate sale. When it came to firearms, however, they were both "minimalists" despite being hunters and trappers from childhood: aside from WWII bringbacks (which were considered souvenirs only), they had basically one rimfire rifle, one shotgun and one centerfire rifle. Each also owned a .22 handgun which went by the wayside as they got older.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I could thin out my long guns quite a bit, and soon I will to get a nice Sharps someday.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Since reading all this talk about leverguns for the past ten years or so - about 80% of what I've purchased are lever guns.

Although I try not to get hyped up about a levergun sometimes I still do - but I keep logging on - most everyday - sometimes multiple times each day.

Unfortunately, over those same 10 years I've worked more and shot less than any other time in my life. If I am honest about it - I've bought a gun or two that have yet to be fired.

The last firearm I decided I had to have was a pistol, a case colored S&W 15-8.
The fellow selling it taught me that I don't care for gunbroker. From what I understand, he took it off before the end date of the auction; I consider him less than honorable in that. Ultimately, I'm sure he did me a favor - I didn't buy an overpriced pistol - that I likely would not properly exercise!
Last edited by BC in TN on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I keep buying "combat" type shotguns and then sell or give them away.

Trying to justify a Benelli M4 right now.

This stuff keeps me up at night!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

A little over board with levers, but i think thers 9 differnt calibers
3 45 rugers but one is differnt cuz the hammer is jeweld & has horn grips, I can see a pattern here i guess, but like Perry ill buy it if i can
make a buck

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:I keep buying "combat" type shotguns and then sell or give them away.

jb 8)
8) I'm glad you do.....I don't like Benelli, though....How about an old Ithica Model 37 Deer Slayer in 20GA?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I can hardly resist a bargain priced Marlin lever or 10-22. You can't have too many. I used to buy any quality gun that came my way at a good price but you can go broke buying all those good deals :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, my .30-30s have different serial #s. :twisted: :P :P :shock: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Griff wrote:Nope, my .30-30s have different serial #s. :twisted: :P :P :shock: :lol:
:lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Even though lately buying same stuff,hugely varied as a whole!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

2ndovc.
Even though I have them, I trend toward the .45 Camp Carbine pressed into that role.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

2ndovc wrote:I keep buying "combat" type shotguns and then sell or give them away.

jb 8)
I slobbered all over one of those just this evening at the local shop. Want one bad, but the price.....
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TedH wrote:

jb 8)
I slobbered all over one of those just this evening at the local shop. Want one bad, but the price.....

I know...

I can get that or two or three handguns. :D

jb 8)

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Well I've only owned 4 semi-auto .22 rifles and every one of them was a 10/22. I've only owned 2 lever guns and both were .30-30 Winchester 94's. I've only owned two .22lr bolt actions and both were older el' cheapo Marlin 25's. Other than that all my guns have been night and day with very few similarities other than the fact the were centerfires or rimfires.

Over the years though I've learned what I like and what I need and while I may trade up I don't do much for repeats. I'm done (so I say today :D) buying guns that I have already owned or currently own. Figure if I sent em down the road I had reasons that probably haven't changed, if I still have em I don't need another.

LK
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just the guns that are worth 2 g's that I only have to pay 2c notes for.

Funny thing, it always seems like its a Winchester or a Colt. :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:

jb 8)
8) I'm glad you do.....I don't like Benelli, though....How about an old Ithica Model 37 Deer Slayer in 20GA?
The Ithaca SD 20 ga. keeps me up at night! That would seem to be ideal for most families.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I get around to building another CCO it will only be for the third time... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hobie wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

jb 8)
The Ithaca SD 20 ga. keeps me up at night! That would seem to be ideal for most families.
I've had a couple Ithacas too. :oops:

The only one I won't part with is my Model 97 Riot gun. So I do have one, it's just that I think that Benelli is one butt kickin'
Zombie gun. :D

jb 8)

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

After a time of trying this, that and the other, a fellows settled down on what he likes. That pertains to food, cars, women and guns.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

my accumulation [ collection implies order and logic ] spans a chaotic variety of things --- classic antique, modern, etc all of sorts of things that catch my interest. lots of leverguns of all kinds, my favorite things, but there are EBRs , IBGs [ itty bitty guns, also called mouse guns ], large caliber air guns, muzzleloaders, including match locks, and wheel locks, etc.

there is redundancy and periodically i sell of things, or change directions,.......well that may not be right, since i dont really have a direction.
cable
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I posted once that My accumalation is diverse. However I do buy the same stuff "over and over". My most recent 94 in another thread. I snapped a picture of My lever safe for Ya, U get the picture ?
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Charles wrote:After a time of trying this, that and the other, a fellows settled down on what he likes. That pertains to food, cars, women and guns.
Ya, but with all those things he's very limted by his budget and what his wife tells him he can have!

LK
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

jb 8)
really, i would have to share the Ithica 20ga with the family...nuts... :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

For the most part, it has been either leverguns or AR-15's for the past several years --- except for the AR's not too many caliber duplicates (unless you count having 2 .45 Trappers and 2 30/30's )
--- oh, i also keep dragging home .357 revolvers with some regularity, even though i need to expand ("need" i said - :oops: - thats funny) my single action lineup -- i'm just addicted to Serpico era wheelguns for some reason -- usually a Colt of some sort

Not much variety at all --- but to be fair, the Ar's i usually build myself and that is a fun extension of the hobby for me
----- Doug
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I can't resist the looks of a Ruger 1A, and have bought several over the years. Each time remember why I sold the last one when I try to mount a scope on it. I hate crawling a stock to get a good sight picture.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I resist change.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

well, today is a good example......pursuing a 'quest' for a .357 colt new frontier, went into Great Northern Guns, and there is a like new in the box,etc. .......ummm, well, it is a Uberti Schhofield in 45 colt.......at a very good price......so ......that is close enough-- right? right? and i dont have a schofield, so.....

I thought so , thanks for backing me up on that decision. [ sigh ]
cable
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"I could thin out my long guns quite a bit, and soon I will to get a nice Sharps someday."

My Sharps would be the last to go. You'll never regret havng a Sharp's pattern rifle.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote:Nope, my .30-30s have different serial #s. :twisted: :P :P :shock: :lol:
Well....................... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ............... I kin truthfully say that (since I keep GOOD SN records) I've bought the SAME (SN) gun twice, thrice ( 3 different guns :roll: ) - all on purpose - since 1970 !

An OM .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk , a .30-06 Ruger #1-A redpad, and a 1st Model .38 Spec Colt DS.

Scheesh.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TNBigBore wrote:I can't resist the looks of a Ruger 1A, and have bought several over the years. Each time remember why I sold the last one when I try to mount a scope on it. I hate crawling a stock to get a good sight picture.
It seems like with that action, you should be able to mount a scope pretty far back, since there's not the sideways ejection to contend with. I guess it's just due to the strange screw-on ramp/rail they use.

Maybe there is an aftermarket solution (or 'custom' one)...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm a lever fan but for many years only hunted with a 444 so sold off my humble collection of centerfires. My next big bore was a 54 Flintlock. Lately I added a mild plinker with a Miroku 92 take down in 32-20. The last new centerfire rifle I'll buy. Then I wanted a 303 for reasons of tradition so a Jungle Carbine was added. Then a sweet Winchester pre 64 32 Special. And finally a Handi 22 Hornet. I have decided no more centerfires are coming in unless one leaves and resist the urge to duplicate fiercely.

For shotguns I've got an older single shot but I'm planning an Upland BPS when funds allow.

The one thing I've never done is build a rifle. I'm considering what might be a good rifle build for my changing shooting needs.

My greatest problem when thinking of adding a rifle is that I cannot shake the hunting rifle bias I have. I don't hunt really yet every gun gets scrutinized by its ability to go hunting. Even my little 32-20 gets this treatment and I often wish I'd bought a 45 Colt chambering! If sticking with one rifle for decades taught me anything its that a guy gets real good with it in spite of himself.

So to answer your question I keep being tempted to buy hunting rifles I'll never use for hunting.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't find myself attracted to much outside of the pre WWI era Marlin lever actions, and old singleshot rifles from the same era. Haven't purchased much in the way of old Marlins that I kept in quite some time, but still always on the lookout for the old singleshots!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes. Mostly Win levers and clones. Not saying Marlin (outside of Browning, the only other real lever choice IMO, Henry doesn't factor in) isn't a good gun--especially older ones--just doesn't cross my mind to buy one! Almost bought an antique 1893 SRC once, but only because of its remarkable resemblance to a Win SRC :) I would like an older 336 some day, "just because." Then I'd transplant the furniture to look like a 93--aka Win!.