I bought a Marlin 39A this morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

I bought a Marlin 39A this morning

Post by AkRay »

I went to the gunshow this morning and went around to the different tables to see what was available. The only other gun that I was considering was a Smith & Wesson 17-6, with a 4" barrel for $475.00 with a pair of combat fingergroove grips, or $400.00 without. I came to a friend of mine's table, and he had just set this one out. It's a 39A, and by the serial number was made in 1952.

The worst flaw is the Social Security number that someone scratched into the side of the receiver, but it isn't really noticeable. It also helped to keep the price in the more reasonable range, and I was feeling more reasonable by the time I saw it. I visited with my friend for a while, then paid him $375.00 for his rifle.

This is the first 39A I've ever owned, and I think it's the first one I've ever shot. I don't think any of my friends or family have ever owned one. 17 rounds of long rifle, and a rimfire length lever throw make for a good combination. I also want to try some shorts in it. I like how the mag tube is in there securely and much more so than the 9422M rifles that I've tried. It's accurate and shootable as is, but with my aging eyes I think I'm going to find a receiver sight for it. Which ones do you fellows recommend?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I bought a Marlin 39A this morning

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!!

I have one that was made in '57. My favorite .22!

I hope someday they outlaw those electric pencils!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

2ndovc wrote:Nice!!

I have one that was made in '57. My favorite .22!

jb 8)

This.

The fit and finish of that era is something you very rarely see nowadays.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The quality and so forth of that era is almost priceless......I would not want a 39 unless it was an older one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have a Lyman 66 on my '53 Mountie.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Williams FP are nice...even a Skinner...nice gun...great find... :)
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That's a very nice 39A, a great buy! One of that vintage and condition would fetch $500+ around here.

Mine was made in 1955 and came with a Redfield receiver sight. I prefer a Marble's tang sight, so I sold the Redfield and installed a Marble's. My rifle is used for Smallbore Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette. Using CCI Standard Velocity ammo, I have achieved an NRA Grand Slam as well as becoming a Master class shooter. The Marlin 39A is a very accurate rifle!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice gun! The Williams Foolproof sights are good but made of aluminum. A steel sight would look better on that gun.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a Lyman on my 1948 Marlin 39A. It works great for me.

"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd normally vote for the Skinner, but since the Skinner uses top mount scope prep holes which weren't a factory-issue in 1952, and I'd hate to D/T it for the Skinner - I'd recommend a Lyman, since the Williams look a bit too modern.

The BEST would be to find an old Redfield (sigh).

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I went back to the show yesterday and bought a steel Lyman 66 sight for this rifle. It's handier and more correct than a scope would be, and it matches the rifle very closely. They go together just right.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Why do people scribe SS numbers onto their guns? Cop told me that SS# can't be used to identify stolen property anymore and that has been true for a long time.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Gun was made in 1952, who knows when the SSN was scribed. Could have been put on there 40+ years ago.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

You'll never buy a better gun.

Don
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I've been thinking lately that I should be buying guns that are a little more special, and passing on lesser guns such as Marlin rimfires. That was my view until I actually took it home, and then took it out and shot with it. This is a great 22 rifle, and one that I anticipate carrying and hunting with a lot in the years to come. I almost decided against it because of the number scratched on the side, but that doesn't bother me. It just carries, hefts and shoots so well, especially with the receiver sight that I splurged on. I should have waited, but the opportunity was there so I went for it. I think the Lyman 66 is just icing on the cake. It really completes this package.