POLITICS - Obama & the 2nd

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

POLITICS - Obama & the 2nd

Post by KWK »

There's a Supreme Court case that's going to be decided fairly soon about what the Second Amendment means. I taught Constitutional Law for 10 years, so I've got my opinion. And my opinion is that the Second Amendment is probably -- it is an individual right and not just a right of the militia. That's what I expect the Supreme Court to rule. I think that's a fair reading of the text of the Constitution. And so I respect the right of lawful gun owners to hunt, fish, protect their families.
As quoted in today's Wall Street Journal, in answer to a question he received at Cornell College on Dec. 5.

He went on to say there are many gun control laws consistent with this, a view also found in the big D.C. ruling trumpeted by the NRA (the ruling which has brought the issue up to the Supremes).

Of course, he could be saying this for political gain, hoping the Supremes will be cowards and rule against the individual right reading.

I don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, but at least he's willing to admit the 2nd says what it says. I can admire him for that; it takes courage for someone on the left to make such a statement.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Hypothetically,
If he were to get elected, and did a complete reversal of this stance, his supporters would not be the least bit offended, only happy. His political opponents would be the only ones to suffer.

Those words he is speaking cost him virtually nothing with his core backers. It is for the benifit of undecided swing votes that he says these things.

His previous record of action, with his votes, as a Senator, and Representative before that, are what tell the story on what he believes.

I for on, am not completely sure (yet) what that record is. Certainly, I'll find out before November.

Sean
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No different than Kerry dressing up in camo to show he was a duck hunter, and by extension, "pro-gun". Look at his votes.

Also no different than the Dem's saying they "support the troops" while doing everything they can to hurt the war effort, and cut military spending at all times.

Obama "supports the 2nd Amendment" in the same way. He doesn't want to try to take it out - they know that is not going to happen (at least not for another generation). Rather, they will just ignore it while paying omage to it but acknowledging the individual right but restricting it as much as they can... :evil:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote:No different than Kerry dressing up in camo to show he was a duck hunter, and by extension, "pro-gun". Look at his votes.

Also no different than the Dem's saying they "support the troops" while doing everything they can to hurt the war effort, and cut military spending at all times.

Obama "supports the 2nd Amendment" in the same way. He doesn't want to try to take it out - they know that is not going to happen (at least not for another generation). Rather, they will just ignore it while paying omage to it but acknowledging the individual right but restricting it as much as they can... :evil:
Could not have been said better--Obama is a wolf in sheep clothing. He just wants to get his foot in the door--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

What is the job of a politician? A politician's ONLY job is to run for reelection. In order to be reelected he must satisfy his constituants. How to do this? He must promise them what thay want. He knows he can't give them much of anything they ask, but he looks good. Once in office he votes for what the lobbyist wants. And what is the (new?) buzzword this time? CHANGE!!, Wow, never heard that one before. I'm really getting excited by his rhetoric. While in office he always votes for the legislation that attains the most votes for him when he does his job, Run For Reelection! He also knows most of the voters forget what he promised after a few months anyway.
I believe many of us nowdays tend to vote for the least worst candidate.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Think of it along the lines of a hostage negotiator.....

If you just come out, everything will be just fine.

Snake oil salesman if you will.....

He will say anything he thinks YOU want to hear to get what HE wants.

Just remember that style of running a campaign rings true on BOTH sides
of the isle.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

What is the job of a politician? A politician's ONLY job is to run for reelection.
That's right. But it works both ways. If he can get elected and re-elected by betraying gun owners, he will do that. If he can get elected and re-elected by betraying his former allies the gun prohibitionists, he will do that.

I doubt he's personally fixated on disarming Americans, like some in Congress are. Like most in Congress his positions boil down to expedience. Same with Hillary and McCain.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Since when does the second amendment have anything whatsoever to do with fishing?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

IMO, there is no chance whatsoever that the Supreme Court will rule that the 2nd Amendment identifies anything other than an individual right.

What they will also conclude in that ruling is that "arms" of all types are subject to "reasonable regulation" to facilitate the interests of the state and prevent "crime".

Yeah, you have a right to have a gun...

...when we say you can.

:x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Barrack Hussein Obama co-sponsored a bill to limit gun purchases to one per month. Once per month we would have Constitutional rights.

He has called for a ban on ALL semi-automatic firearms. The includes our Ruger and marlin .22 rifles.

He wants to ban guns from inner-city communities. Those who need a gun the most could not own one.

He also voted "NO" on the confirmation of Justices Roberts and Alito to the Supreme Court.

For more info on Obama's positions and voting record, go here:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I believe that a national politician's views towards our Second Amendment rights is very relevant to a forum such as this.

As voters, we are duty-bound to choose our leaders wisely, and having that information is beneficial to making an informed decision.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Thank you for the information, and link, Jeff.

Otto Von Bismark was wrong. Politics is MUCH more disgusting than sausage making, even such as it was in 1870.

Take care.

Sean
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I'd still like to know what owning a gun has to do with fishing .
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Idahoser wrote:Not trying to be a smart aleck, I just don't see the point of threads like this. There are a few folks who think there's a choice that doesn't match him to a tee, and they're already voting for her.

What do you hope to accomplish?

[hint- this is sarcasm] :wink:
R I Ten.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

lying ***, he shure did not believe that when representing his constituiants in illinois. you can't even drive through the state for fear of getting arrested with your shotgun when going to wisconsin or north dakota to bird hunt!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have no idea if Obama is speaking the truth about his thinking or not. The sad fact is politicians of all stripes have lied so often about everything that nobody can take as true anything, any politician says.

I don't assume Obama is telling a lie, not do I assume he is telling the truth. Whatever the issues, I would never put any blue chips on any promise of any politician.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Charles wrote:I have no idea if Obama is speaking the truth about his thinking or not. The sad fact is politicians of all stripes have lied so often about everything that nobody can take as true anything, any politician says.

I don't assume Obama is telling a lie, not do I assume he is telling the truth. Whatever the issues, I would never put any blue chips on any promise of any politician.
AMEN Charles!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Charles wrote:...I don't assume Obama is telling a lie, not do I assume he is telling the truth. Whatever the issues, I would never put any blue chips on any promise of any politician.
He's a Politician. He's from Chicago. He has Mob connections (Tony Rezko). Lying is his default setting. :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

im sorry but i assume that obama and clinton are both liars, especially when it comes to the bill of rights.
g rice