Action At The Ridgway Rifle Club

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Action At The Ridgway Rifle Club

Post by Sixgun »

Well, another weekend has come and gone. I have no reason why but my bud Gunny calls me up the other day and says, "Let head up to Ridgway this weekend for their monthly match." I says, "Gunny, its a 5 hour drive and your Dodge pick-up with the Hemi gets about 13 mpg and my Jeep is not much better." He says, "We be gettin' old". I says, "OK, your truck, pick me up at 3."

We head up with nothing more than our guns, ammo, a cot and a sleeping bag, plus some grub. Oh! And about a weeks pay for gas. :D

Anyway, we get up there about 8 and Gunny runs into one of his Marine buddies who happens to be a club director and he demands that we bunk in the clubhouse. I'm thinking, "cool, this is simplicity at it's finest".

The next morning we hook up with my good friend Jack Kort who came in from Erie, Pa. Everyone here knows Jack Kort (w30wcf) and is a fine fellow.

Well, I did OK as did Jack, and Gunny was his usual self as he too shot great. I sure was glad he was "out of gas" as he blew me out his pick-up on the way there about 10 times. Something about cheese, brocolli, and some fast food. Thank the Lord for electric windows with fast motors. :D

Brian Wakefield (no pic :( ) was our match director and does a great job at it too. Coincidently, Brian was also last years National Champion levergun silhouette shooter using an 1876 Winchester in 45-60. (I think......... Mr. Kort, correct me if I'm wrong) Here's a few pics.----------Sixgun

Here's Gunny, the big bad career Marine DI checking to see if the door is locked at the clubhouse as we were getting ready to sleep. He says that he don't want to get beat up by some hill people. :D :D

Gunny shooting at the 150 meter turkeys with his 1894 in 38-55. That gun is a tackdriver!

Jack Kort, always the traditionalist, is shooting blackpowder for the "pistol caliber" event with his Marlin 38/357 Mag.

This is "Stupido" with his 1893 Marlin in 38-55. That rifle shoots too, but I only managed a 28, which is OK I guess.

I guess I did OK in the pistol caliber event as I did win 1st in AAA using a Winchester Model 53 takedown in 25-20. Many thanks to Frank (Steelbanger) for sending me a mess of his Ranch Dog bullets made from Stereotype. The old Winchester shoots like a raygun. :D

This is a pic of Ridgways 1000 yard range. This is the range where the Hi-Power silhouette nationals are usually held. These guys run a top notch gunclub.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Action At The Ridgway Rifle Club

Post by Dave »

Looks like a large time was had by all! Way to spend the weekend
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You guys have it together for a back east bunch.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dang sixgun your having a good time, be neat to get together sometime and shoot a few. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea guys, you gotta grab the sunshine when you can as there's always a storm cloud waitin' for 'ya. Its just how life is, great one day and misery the next. :D

My good friend Reds (Cimarron Red) who is a member of the board always told me this and I live by it now. He says, "Jack, you gotta pull the trigger as much as you can because once they throw the dirt in your face, its all over."

Thanks Reds! :D

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now, where did I put that drool rag??? Man, if there was a set-up like that near me, I'd be flat broke! :mrgreen:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun -- really nice post...that sure beats mowing the lawn...and the only stupido would have been the guy who was invited but didn't go... :)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Our Hero! :D

Nice shooting Jack! It was great seeing you and Gunny in Ridgway.
I guess you didn't razz "Gunny" too much on the way home.......since you arrived aok. :D
Thank you for the pic. The original 21.5 / B.P. .38 Special load does make a bit of smoke......

On Sunday, I heard that there were 77 competitors for the long range benchrest match.
10 crows @850 / 10 groundhogs @ 900 / 10 Bobcats @ 950 / 10 Coyotes @ 1000
The high score was 27x40.

Looking back from 1,000 yards (the camera was a bit tilted)

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jack Sr.,
Neat pic! (not of me, but the 1,000 yd coyotes :D) (The pic of me was better than great. :D

Gunny and me started out to do a little shooting at the 1,000 yard range with my Krag and his 03A3 but kept getting interupted by the other range guys so we packed up and pulled out. The heat was getting to our brains and after pulling the trigger about 200 times, I was done, beat, and ready to hit the road.

See you at the Regionals???---------------Jack Jr.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And I spent the weekend driving from WA to pukin' Transylvania! Again! Which was triple bad, as I was exceedingly rushed... couldn't stop to meet n' greet... and had already paid entry fees for a match. Second one I've missed due to unpredictable work schedule!!!

Congrats on your win Sixgun! Good that someone's getting to shoot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Griff............What parts of Pa. were you headed to?---------Sixgun

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Now, where did I put that drool rag??? Man, if there was a set-up like that near me, I'd be flat broke! :mrgreen:
You and me both!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Thanks Griff............What parts of Pa. were you headed to?---------Sixgun
Lewisberry. Then down to York to head off to NYS, and back. Then down to TX if the plan comes together.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Great report, Sixgun! It's always nice to see pics of Ridgway. Thanks.

I'm thinking I might get back that way this summer. My brother now lives in the southeast corner of Warren County about 30 miles from Ridgway, so I'll be stopping by for a visit.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Great report, Sixgun! It's always nice to see pics of Ridgway. Thanks.

I'm thinking I might get back that way this summer. My brother now lives in the southeast corner of Warren County about 30 miles from Ridgway, so I'll be stopping by for a visit.
Hey Reds!,
Funny thing, you can move away but you never forget where you came from. Home is home and always will be. Let me know when your rolling in---hopefully, we can hook up.-------------Me

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hey Sixgun, I was not too far away from there shooting silhouette in NE Ohio, basically handgun but I shot a couple of leverguns, out to 200m,first my old Winchester 1894 SRC in 30-30, did not do as well as you, just squeezed out a 24 but had fun! :D Then shot my Marlin 1895, pounded heck out of my shoulder with that 45-70 for a not so good score of 21. :oops:

It was a 6 hour drive for me plus a border crossing.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice work Sixgun! Very nice to see you fellows in action!

I would like to use that picture of your Model 53 on the TLC258-80-RF product page if you don't mind. I don't hear much feedback from the XX-20 Win crowd, must be too busy casting and shooting. :wink:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for the photo essay - very nice.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great stuff!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ranch Dog wrote:Nice work Sixgun! Very nice to see you fellows in action!

I would like to use that picture of your Model 53 on the TLC258-80-RF product page if you don't mind. I don't hear much feedback from the XX-20 Win crowd, must be too busy casting and shooting. :wink:
Sure, go ahead. PM me your e-mail addy as I have better ones on my computer at home.----(stealin' time at the moment--at work :D )

Oh! BTW, I done near shot up all of Frank's bullets so an order is coming soon--for 2 as my buddy Gunny wants one too. :D

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Here's a pic of about actual size of the range taken last Oct.
Steve (shooting) managed to put a 30-30 bullet on a bobcat (950 yards) about the 10th shot shooting offhand!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good, thanks! Frank sent me the picture. I will get it posted...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wow! That does sound like it was a fine day.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright