Gun of the Month at my club or a lever gun topic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Gun of the Month at my club or a lever gun topic

Post by pdentrem »

At my local gun club, I am treasurer since 1987, we have the gun of the month. The gun is a picture and whathaveyou on the front page of the last club meeting minutes. We also will bring in a gun that maybe some members have never seen before.
This month it is my turn to bring something and I am going to bring in the gun and barrels that is shown in my avatar. It is a Savage 99G, born around 1927. It is in 250-3000 originally and the second barrel is in 22 BR. The barrel was off my Win 70 SA that was originally chambered in 222 Remington. I recontoured the barrel to the same profile as the Savage barrel. Cut the chambered portion off at the neck area and threaded the shank and cut the extractor slot. I then took it to my smithy who chambered it and milled the dovetail slot for the forearm retaining stud. Crowned the muzzle and blued the barrel. Internally I replaced the cartridge carrier with one for a 308 Win. Did a little work on it to help the cases sit better in the grooves as the BR is very square vs 308. It all works and the two cartridges feed through and the barrels look alike.
Should be an interesting conversation starter. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun of the Month at my club or a lever gun topic

Post by hfcable »

that is amazing work you did!

maybe you should also get or make one of those 410 barrels like they offered with some of the 99s

nice gun, nice work!
cable
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Your Savage is indeed a unique item there. Could you share some additional photos and such with us? I'm particularly interested in how the 22 Benchrest shoots.

Have you hunted with it?

:wink:
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I will have to take some beauty shots and post them. Any views requested other than the standard stuff?

I have used it off the bench when setting up the loads and a few groundhogs. It shoots better a than most of my stuff. Only my Sako 6mm PPC will out shoot it with regularity.

My current best loads are both with H322 at 27.5 gr, Hornady 53 gr Match, Rem primers, resized 6mm BR cases. 3230 fps avg. 3 shoots in 1/2" at 100 meters from the bench. Repeated a few times and avg 3/4". OAL of 2.04". Nice.
The other is 29 gr of H322 Hornady 52 BT Match, primer, and cases. 3400 avg 3shots, in 1" groups. OAL 2.095"
Optics Weaver V16 thin line reticule. Half century Mark 1 eyeballs need some help. :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

very nice... :)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Very neat and interesting... Bet it goes over really well.

But can you post some bigger pictures for us to see???

I'm a little "avatar challenged" these days... (Maybe due to too much of my own avatar!) :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Yes I just took some better pictures. I need a better flash. Hope they are good. I only post 3 here as I did not want to flood the site.

I also put some more on my website. pierresplace.ca in the Savage 99 folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Excellent -- and fast too! Thanks! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Well just back from the meeting.
The rifle was a great attraction to the other members who had not seen it before. Talked for about half hour on how and why etc. some of the other members are a little put out as I had something better than the recent showings. Now the club secretary wants to shoot video of it. I created a monster!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8) 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY