BLR-Assasin's weapon of choice!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

BLR-Assasin's weapon of choice!

Post by vancelw »

On tonight's episode of Jesse Stone, the bad guy was using (quite poorly) a Browning BLR. Looked like it might have been a .308.

Jesse won with his 1911.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR-Assasin's weapon of choice!

Post by Rusty »

Those are great movies. O'll have to rent that one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Those movies would be better if they were not interrupted every ten minutes for five minutes of adverts :( :(
Jesse said it was a 308 when he saw it in the trunk.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

this is a timely post ---- yesterday was a rainy day here and i had the blues, but NEtflix had the first 4 episodes of the Jesse Stone series available for me to watch digitally.

One of the episodes the bad guy did use a silenced revolver. It didnt look like the conceptual Knight revolver that actually worked either. I guess even Tom Selleck cant catch all the slip ups :lol: He carries a 1911 though

I'll try to catch the newest installment on a repeat if possible
----- Doug
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Yes there are, or rather were silenced revolvers. They were made on Smiith Model 10 HB revolveres with interfearance fit to the cylinder barrel. They were chambered in 38 special and were used by tunnel rats and oters in Vietnam.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

KCSO wrote:Yes there are, or rather were silenced revolvers. They were made on Smiith Model 10 HB revolveres with interfearance fit to the cylinder barrel. They were chambered in 38 special and were used by tunnel rats and oters in Vietnam.
And we shouldn't forget the Nagant. It has a fully sealed cylinder/barrel lockup on firing and is/has been OEM suppressed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Borregos wrote:Those movies would be better if they were not interrupted every ten minutes for five minutes of adverts :( :(
Jesse said it was a 308 when he saw it in the trunk.
That's why I DVR'd it! So I could fast-forward.
I missed him commenting on the caliber. I wondered why they had a lingering shot of Jesse seeing the brass on the deck. I guess when he saw it was .308 he knew who is adversary was.
I like those shows but the last two have been pretty slow and predictable. Still watching though. . .
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

When you think about it, the BLR is a excellent .308 rifle for that. As jesse said, with that clip you can have it in action quick, plus they are fast handeling and on top of that they dont look like a evil black auto when or if you are stopped. I never owned one myself but have shot a buddys. Fine rifle. I have a number of good center fire rifles, maybe 15.
Lately I wrote of a crazy fugitive "Mountain man" that has been breaking in cabins here in the high country, shooting the cabins up etc for the last seven years or so. He has left taunting terrorist notes, threating to bury our sheriff etc. Anyway I ride the trails with our quad in the area he has been operateing in a lot. Since this came to light I have decided to carry more than just a revolver. I looked at what I have and decided to start carrying my winchester model 88 lever in .308 for the same reasons as that BLR was selected. The 88 has the clip magazine also in .308 lever and can be put into action fast.
I also had a hard time trying to figure out the plot details but I dont hear our TV too good in the movies. Where can I get a flashing bow tie like that?
P.S. If you thought you just read this on the S&W site, you did. I am feralmerril over there and they had a similar thread.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, enjoyed that bit of trivia. But, between commericals, etc., naps made for a rather disjointed story line! :P :twisted: :o It couldn't possibly have been the fine bbq dinner I had with friends! It had to be those boring commercials! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I think the bad guys BLR had a scout scope in QD mounts and what looked like a Sure=Fire light too.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Booger Bill wrote:When you think about it, the BLR is a excellent .308 rifle for that. As jesse said, with that clip you can have it in action quick, plus they are fast handeling and on top of that they dont look like a evil black auto when or if you are stopped. ...
And they can be had in a Take Down version for easier stowage...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

:lol:

The wife and I were watching a mobster-comedy on Netflix tonight called "You Kill Me" with Ben Kingsley and Tea Leoni.

Guess what the Greek gangster was using to try and snipe Kingsley . . .

A BLR!

I guess I've been missing something all along. I never should have sold my BLR years ago. I should have just had some business cards printed. Of course, in both movies the guy with the BLR didn't fare well :D

I need to read the credits and see if it was the same prop guy.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Griff wrote:Yep, enjoyed that bit of trivia. But, between commericals, etc., naps made for a rather disjointed story line! :P :twisted: :o It couldn't possibly have been the fine bbq dinner I had with friends! It had to be those boring commercials! :P
'Fraid not. This one was just not up to the standards of the originals. They were based on the Robert B. Parker novels, and IMO were even better than the books. But the author died, and I don't think this one was based on any of his others, though it's been several years since I read them so I could be wrong. Why they might've chosen to bypass the others escapes me. This one was very disappointing, though the ending left the door wide open for another one & maybe it'll be better.

I do wish they'd stop pairing Jesse up with women young enough to be his grand daughter. Geeze--much as I like Tom Selleck, he's gotta be well into his 60's.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

He is 67. Doesnt he himself produce these shows? He might have something to do with picking his co stars to smooch with. Hey, my wife is 17 years younger than me. I am older than my mother in law. No way can I picture myself with her. Course it`s utah.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Washita wrote:
Griff wrote: I do wish they'd stop pairing Jesse up with women young enough to be his grand daughter. Geeze--much as I like Tom Selleck, he's gotta be well into his 60's.

I'm a wee lad of 40 myself, but these type of pairings give me hope for the future !! :D :D
----- Doug
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I believe Tom stated that the first 4 were from Robert's books and the following were new.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know about an assassin's weapon of choice but they are the weapon of choice for serious target shooters at my local lever action club. Most of them have been converted to .222 by our resident gunsmith but there are a few .308 as well. I had one of the .222 conversions for a while which I sold after I found out I couldn't shoot it any better than I shoot my other guns, but off the bench with peep sights I could easily hold .400" at 50 yards with 5 shot groups, consistently. How much that could be improved on with the usual accurizing treatments I don't know.
I'm actually starting to think that an older Belgian BLR might make a good conversion to one of the 6.5 calibers for 500 yd silhouette, and lever action, and some big game hunting, if I ever manage to get out of the office long enough to find a property to hunt on.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Two things bothered me. One, they showed a couple of pieces of brass lying on the deck. It just looked too small for .308. There wasn't really anything to show scale, so it was just an impression.

The other was, how did they hear anything ever again, much less seconds or at the most minutes after the first shots were fired inside the companionway. All steel with maybe some lineoleum on the deck? Oh well, it's only a movie. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I though I had seen all of the Jessie Stone movies. But I don't guess I have seen this one. What is the title of this One?
NRA Life Member, Patron
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Streetstar wrote:
Washita wrote:
Griff wrote: I do wish they'd stop pairing Jesse up with women young enough to be his grand daughter. Geeze--much as I like Tom Selleck, he's gotta be well into his 60's.

I'm a wee lad of 40 myself, but these type of pairings give me hope for the future !! :D :D
I hope you're not serious; what I see at work all the time are 40-60 year old men drooling over the 20-ish new girls, there's nothing more pathetic.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."