I had to do it! Taurus Thunderbolt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

I had to do it! Taurus Thunderbolt

Post by rbertalotto »

OK, I simply couldn't resist! My local gun shop has had a Taurus Thunderbolt in 45LC with a beautiful case colored receiver and terrible brown "painted" wood. It's been there for three years! But I always wanted a Colt Lightning but knew I might never be able to afford one, so a clone it is!

I took it to the range and the accuracy is amazing.......That's good!

But the action is stiff as a new wife!

I was loading some cast LEE 452-255RF bullets. These round nose / flat tip bullets don't feed to well. What are folks using in these rifles for bullets.

A couple of times I had a bullet make its way past the cartridge stop in the magazine and end up under the elevator, jamming up the whole works. This won't be good if the Indians are charging!

Is anyone using the Cowboy45 Special brass in their Thunderbolt? A few dummy rounds seem to function fine, but it's been raining and I've not been able to try them.

Any other hints you can add.....But please don't tell me to use it for a tomato stake! I like it!

Stock Picture (not mine)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: I had to do it! Taurus Thunderbolt

Post by Griff »

Roy,

I'm sure you meant "shy" as a new wife! :mrgreen: I was also sure you meant some Ford SVO... :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I've been close to buying a stainless Thunderbolt a few times but the wide spread reports of feed issues always kept me from biting. Hopefully uou can get your issues worked out :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think they're a cool piece. Good on ya.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've had no problems with mine, and it seems to love RNFP's. Hope you get yours worked out!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't know how the Lightning's feed system or cartridge stop works, but I do know that the LEE 452-255RF bullet when seated to crimp in the crimp grove makes a cartridge considerably shorter than the standard .45 Colt should be.
Try seating them out a bit to 1.590" and see if the jamming problems stops or changes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Always wanted one myself but keep remembering that they had problems with the originals. Why do think Colt quit making them?
The cowboy shooters have put the most rounds through these things over the years and some have worked the kinks out. Try looking on sassnet.com and ask for help there. I think most problems are with cartridge over all length just as J Miller said but ask the sass guys, they'll know.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cool looking gun. Hope you get it working.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

M. M. Wright wrote:Always wanted one myself but keep remembering that they had problems with the originals. Why do think Colt quit making them?
The cowboy shooters have put the most rounds through these things over the years and some have worked the kinks out. Try looking on sassnet.com and ask for help there. I think most problems are with cartridge over all length just as J Miller said but ask the sass guys, they'll know.
Colt quit making them because the a weakness in the action caused the Lightning to break prematurely. By all accounts and reviews, Taurus engineered the Thunderbolt with a stronger action so it doesn't suffer the same problem. Only issue is they induced new ones in the process :P
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.