Shot the 94/25-35

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Shot the 94/25-35

Post by pwl44m »

Well after a couple years I finally shot the the old Gal. If U remember this is the one I had to replace the Hammer on. Well what a delight it turned out to be. First time I have ever fired this caliber and I must say I am impressed. Didn;t expect it to pack such a punch. No where near 30-30 but not that far behind (does that make sense). I could see this being a Deer round within range.
With the sight elevator all the way to the bottom it still shot a little high. Think I need a shorter front sight. Using Wincher factory ammo - 117grn the groups weren't bad considering the rest I was using (kneeling with the Gun held on the side of My trailer).
I have a bunch of brass I need to load up, that was fun.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot the 94/25-35

Post by ollogger »

I think the 25-35 is an addicting little gal, nice shooting there perry
& im sure when you get it going with hanloads & a good rest it will
be a real jem, Does the rear sight have a slide on it?

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

ollogger wrote:I think the 25-35 is an addicting little gal, nice shooting there perry
& im sure when you get it going with hanloads & a good rest it will
be a real jem, Does the rear sight have a slide on it?

ollogger
Yes it does but I didn't have a small screwdriver to adjust it so I left it alone. I actually took the elevator out and it is still in My pocket. need to put it back before I lose it.
Perry
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

That's great shooting. Congrats.

I'm having the same issue with it shooting high and sight... I hate to trim the front sight...

Chad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you are shooting high, you need a taller front sight, NOT a shorter front sight.

Think about it ............................................. ok, that's enough don't give yourself a head ache.

A shorter front sight will allow the barrel to point higher. So, bullet hits higher.

A taller front sight will cause the barrel to point lower. So, bullet hits lower.

Go to Brownell's and use their sight height calculator. Follow the instructions and it will tell you just how much you need to change the sight.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Oh thx Joe, now I have a headache !! LOL but U are absolutely right, the front sight is pretty tall as it is. I shouldn't tell this on Myself but We are all friends here "right". It was shooting a little to the right soo I drifted the front sight a little the wrong way. It shot farther to the right. When I finally got it turned around in My head I went the other way and it brought it in better. By this time I am running out of ammo, only took one box. It has a half mag so I was just shooting 2 shot groups at about 30 yards.
Well now I need a sight stretcher, I have some shorter Sheard sights and I thought problem solved (wrong). Well 30yds isn't a good test anyhow so will try 100 and maybe it will be on target.
Chadbr !! R U listening ?
Perry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote:Well 30yds isn't a good test anyhow so will try 100 and maybe it will be on target.
Glad Joe spoke up; I missed the mistake as well... :oops:

Anyway, I wouldn't be too surprised if on an iron-sighted gun, that it would be 'on' at 100 yards, but have the first crossing (bullet going up) happen before 30 yards. Even on some of the high-mounted-scope setups I've shot, it can cross at 25 yards the first time. Shoot it at 100 yards (or more) before you fret.

I suspect that round was the .270 vs. .30-06 of the .30-30 days.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote:Shoot it at 100 yards (or more) before you fret.
Yes, as Doc says: shoot it first. I looked at your trajectory in "QuickTarget" (part of the QuickLoad ballistic program) guessing a few parameters like velocity of your 117 factory load and height of iron sight above bore. Looks like if you are a couple of inches high at 30 yards that's just about what you'll also be at 100 yards, which would be a good way to have the old girl sighted...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Earl, seems like I remember in days of old that if You sighted in at 25 yds You would be on at 100.
I have brass and other components but I have no boolits. All I have is some for My 25-20 so will have to round some up.
Perry