memorial day weekend shooting and trading - Browning 1919a4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

memorial day weekend shooting and trading - Browning 1919a4

Post by rjohns94 »

Started the weekend out well. On Friday am, I packed up five handguns and marched off to shoot at the local range. First up was my Sig 226 tactical ops. I have 9 20 round mags for this pistol. I started at 7 yards and put a mag through the upper left target. Frankly, I have not shot that much lately and I didn't do too well, about a 4 inch group with 20 rounds, to the left and a bit high. Some self diagnosis had me figuring I was pushing with the trigger finger and not steady pulling. another mag went down range, more centered and a bit high. I pushed the target out to 15 yards and remembering sight alignment and trigger control, the groups sunk to about 3 inches and pretty much centered. 9 mags and 180 rounds later, no FTF or FTE issues and the firearm was starting to feel like an old friend.

Next up was the kimber solo cdp. I was amazed that this little handgun was sighted in at 7 yards with its built in laser. I just put the laser on the red and two inch groups resulted. Mind you this was just 6 round mags (and xtp ammo) but it cycled beautifully and completely and accurately grouped the ammo around the bull with just laser. I checked the iron sigthts to the laser and it was as good as I could expect. This pistol requires the 124 or 147 ammo and I used 147 gr ammo for both of the 9mm pistols.

After that was Sig 220 black ops. It shot perfectly!! The 8 round mags functioned without any hic ups and I soon cruised through two boxes of ammo. Three inch groups with each mag at 15 yards. Good enough for me.

I next shot the freedom arms in .22 LR. This pistol shoots very well and shows me where my form needs work. I was shooting CCI mini mags and it grouped them low but in a basic inch or so group. When I did my part, it was dead on. When I didn't, groups really opened up. I didn't try the .22 mag cylinder, saving that for another day

Last was the pistol shown in my avatar, a Ruger customized by Gary Reeder, know as the night hunter. A beautiful pistol with a long cylinder for heavy bullets. I put down range some Garret ammo, some hand loads and Big bore loads. It digested them very well and the semi bisley grips helped handle the full house loads with ease. It was very comfortable to shoot. I moved the target out to 25 yards and offhand, the groups (5 shot) were about 3 inches. Two were opened up by called shots to about 5 inches, two a bit tighter than 3 inches. All in all it looks like it has proved itself for its intended purpose of a woods walking gun.

After the range time, I went off to lunch and passed a gun shop that I have yet to be in. I just had to give it a try so after chic fillet lunch, I cruised into the store and fell in love!!!!!!

First thing I saw followed me home:

This browning, 1919a4 in semi auto was there, in partial a6 configuration, sitting on top of a German AA mount. My mind started spinning as I was trying to figure out what I could trade for the mount, AA sights, Spade grips, Mount and full A6 package including carry handle, bipod, shoulder stock and flash hider. We discussed it and I headed home to gather what I thought I could use for trade bait. Before I left, I spotted three other items that I wanted to get my hands on.

An hour later I was back with 6 firearms in tow. I first checked out the browning again, then an UZI, pre ban, in 9mm, and then a jungle carbine and a high standard derringer in model 101 in 22 mag. The UZI was just what I wanted to go with the Sig 226 as a companion. I had one back in 98 and let it go in a trade and really wanted another back in to my firearm collection. The Browning in A6 conversion kit was wanted for the extras and I really wanted a spade grip for future range work. Wasn't sure about the mount but i am really happy with it. This browning is in .308, and has 4 barrels (an 8mm, a 30-06, .308, and 7.62) possible for it. Next off the wall came the jungle carbine. It was not an original which disappointed me but the work and resulting firearm fit the bill so I took it too. Then the high standard was pulled out. I had an option of two, one in black, one in ss. I took the ss one to replace the NAA ranger I recently traded away. I wound up with all four, and spent saturday with the Browning loading cloth ammo belts, and setting it up first in A6 config and then in this AA "show" configuration.

On the way is the A2 tripod with T&E mechanism, and a three ammo can configuration which feeds ammo, catches links and spent ammo cases, all mounted on the A2 Tripod. An additional XX K rounds of ammo have also made their way to the reloading room as well as reloader for cloth belts, and one for links. This little gem will be a hobby all into itself.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: memorial day weekend shooting and trading

Post by Pitchy »

Dang that`s nice, always wanted one of those Brownings. :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Wow, Mike! Well done!! The 1919 is very cool (...can't wait to fire off some of your ammo :wink: )! Love the anti-aircraft sight!

Nice range report on the pistols. Impressive off-hand grouping at 25 yards with the Reeder. As you are probably aware, the Sig TacOps pistols use the "combat" sight picture (#3 below) where the front dot covers the target, as opposed to a six o'clock (#1) hold or even the third standard where the alignment of the sights bisects the target.

I know it took me a bit to adjust to the Sig after shooting other pistols, especially SA ones.

Hope the weapons give you many years of trouble-free service!
Last edited by alnitak on Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Oh Man, is that cool!!!

Bet that's gonna be fun!!!

Can't wait to hear how it shoots!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok, that's it----- when stuff hits the fan(I want to be joining up with Mike) :shock:

Dude,---------------your too much! :mrgreen:

Wow Zee Dow :shock:

YOU DEFINITELY BE DA TOP MAN!
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

outstanding Mike

any day that John Browning rides with ya is a good day
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks like the only thing you missed was the jeep to mount the Browning on.

Nice shopping.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks Alnitak, that makes sense now. As you know, I'm making the shift to 9mm for personal defense and I want to be able to wring the most out of every platform.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:Thanks Alnitak, that makes sense now. As you know, I'm making the shift to 9mm for personal defense and I want to be able to wring the most ou of every platform.
Anyone have dibs on the 220 .45acp? :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:outstanding Mike

any day that John Browning rides with ya is a good day
Yep.

Those century-old machines are still awesome. How many other complex devices of that vintage still work, much less still do their job about as well as anything made since...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool MG. When ya getting the Ma deuce?
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: memorial day weekend shooting and trading - Browning 1919a4

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks guys, I am amazed at Mr. Browning's genious in firearm development. This weekend hopefully will get it out to the range and put some rounds on targets.
Mike Johnson,

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I know they made conversion kits for the Brownings in 7.62 x 39, with a new booster, barrel and specially designed links. The 8mm would be the cheapest , I think, to shoot, but most of the ammo is corrosive.

now , you just need a crankfire for the browning
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree, a crankfire is on the list. 8)
Mike Johnson,