What say you - picatinny rail for marlin scout scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

What say you - picatinny rail for marlin scout scope

Post by foxtrapper »

Have a custom marlin 1895 that has a barrel with no dovetail for a rear sight. That leaves the xs sight system out of the picture(?) now midway has a 9" piece of steel picatinny available. I figure that I can drill the rail for the 4 receiver screws and let the rail float over the barrel. One do you think it would work and two will it look good? I also think that this fix will work for the octagon barrel cowboy.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: What say you - picatinny rail for marlin scout scope

Post by Blaine »

If you can get the scout scope far enough away...why not? Beauty is as beauty does, right? You could snug a spacer underneath the end over the bbl so it wouldn't get a weird vibration or anything.....Someone that actually knows what they are doing will come along any minute, so good luck.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just be sure the front scope mount isn't too far forward of the receiver, or you might get more vibration. Theoretically it should return to the same place each time though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Just be sure the front scope mount isn't too far forward of the receiver, or you might get more vibration. Theoretically it should return to the same place each time though.
Doc, I did the XO mount, Leupold QRWs, and Leupold scout scope about 11 years ago....I sighted it in once, and in spite of having it off and on a couple dozen times, at least, have not had to touch the scope adjustments since. I sighted in with Federal Factory 300s, but my 405 hand loads are right on at 100 yds....good enough for my short range deer hunting around here....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Figure I'll give it a try :D now Midway has the rail out of stock :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you look at the scope mount for the Marlin M39 it works just like that. Only part of the mount fits on the receiver, the rest of it hangs out over the barrel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's pretty easy to cut a dove-tail.

If you don't trust yourself, it doesn't cost much to have a pro do it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Doc, I did the XO mount....
What's the "XO" mount...? Is it one that fastens to the receiver and rear sight dovetail, or just the receiver and hangs forward into space?

It always seemed like the one attaching to the barrel and receiver would vibrate less and be stronger, but that it also would put some 'stress' on the barrel, and heat up un-uniformly, so possibly messing up point of impact like a tightly attached magazine tube can. Always wondered if it wouldn't be better just to have a stiff rail and let it 'float' over the barrel and attach to the receiver only. Of course I'm thinking more the 'conventional' scope placement vs. the farther forward 'scout' one in this context.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Doc, I did the XO mount....
What's the "XO" mount...? Is it one that fastens to the receiver and rear sight dovetail, or just the receiver and hangs forward into space?

It always seemed like the one attaching to the barrel and receiver would vibrate less and be stronger, but that it also would put some 'stress' on the barrel, and heat up un-uniformly, so possibly messing up point of impact like a tightly attached magazine tube can. Always wondered if it wouldn't be better just to have a stiff rail and let it 'float' over the barrel and attach to the receiver only. Of course I'm thinking more the 'conventional' scope placement vs. the farther forward 'scout' one in this context.
Mount and dovetail......and I LocTite'ed it. It will never move in my lifetime. I did the Ghost Ring, too, with a HiViz front. At 100yds, I can shoot nearly as good with the Ghost as the scope.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"XO" became "XS" after Ashley sold the company.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:"XO" became "XS" after Ashley sold the company.

AO...we'll get it right eventually.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:"XO" became "XS" after Ashley sold the company.
Ah Ha - now I'm on the same page... :D

I have that rail on my Marlin 'Night Scout', and really like it. I'm not a good enough shot to detect any adverse effect from the factors I mentioned above (but still wonder about).

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

FWiedner wrote:It's pretty easy to cut a dove-tail.

If you don't trust yourself, it doesn't cost much to have a pro do it.

:)
Like he said.
Your idea MIGHT work just fine. If you're feeling experimental...go for it..but I'm not sure that what works on a .22 can be counted on to also work on your Guide Gun.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

I put a xs picatinny on a Winchester 1886, mounted a fastfire sight on it and works like a champ and it is a 50-110. Something my boy wanted. was actually pretty easy, the hardest part was drilling and tapping the receiver bridge. The gun was parts gun bythe way. Thinking about putting one on my 1886 with a octagon barrel............when you get older it is a lot harder to get both the sights lined up so the fastfire sight works like a charm for me.