Revolver Accuracy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Revolver Accuracy

Post by El Chivo »

If I were to shoot only 38 special from a revolver, would it be more accurate in a .38 - only gun or in a 38-357 gun?

It occurred to me that having a longer cylinder might stabilize the bullet a bit better before it enters the forcing cone. Less gas shooting out of the sides. Or does it better out of the shorter cylinder?

If so, then shooting 38's out of a 38/357 revolver would be better than developing a reduced .357 load (which is not true with rifles as we know).

On the other hand, I've read that the Taurus Judge is not particularly accurate, and it has a long cylinder that can shoot both 45 Colt and .410 shotgun rounds.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Revolver Accuracy

Post by Pisgah »

Theoretically, a .357 revolver should shoot the longer .357 loads better than the .38 loads -- theoretically. Problem is, guns are individuals. One may handle .38s more accurately; the next, .357s. There's just no way to generalize; you have to try the gun you are interested in and see what works best.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would think .38 Special in a .38 Special chamber would be more accurate than a .38 Special in a .357 mag. chamber (I know there are some really accurate .357s shooting .38s out there, but lemme 'splain). A 357 Mag. chamber is 1.3019" from the base of the case to the beginning of the taper into the chamber throat. A .38 chamber from the base ob rhe case is 1.163" to the beginning of the taper into the throat (measurements are from SAAMI). So, the bullet is traveling .138" unsupported, before it reaches the chamber throat, and aligning the bullet to the forcing cone/rifling...(sounds good to me , but I'm sure the distance is negligible and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm full of it :mrgreen: )
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Actually the shorter jump to the barrel is much preferred. Back in the 70's when I was a LEO the match we all shot as the standard of our level of profencey was the PPC match. Like every other shooting game they came up with their own "full race guns." The gun was usually a S&W m10 that had the barrel replaced with a Douglas 1" bull barrel, a Bo Mar rib on top and the cylinder shortened till a loaded round was almost even with the front of the cylinder. The barrel was then screwed in to get the proper gap. That was all the conventional thinking back then. Scores then were usually a 300 out of 300 with the winner getting the largest number of X's.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Thanks Rusty, I was looking for some real stories. In testing revolvers I found I liked the heaviest gun with .38 special loads. I think I should consider either a dedicated .38 special or be prepared to load .357's with reduced loads (which I do already for rifle).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Very interesting. Just goes to show revolvers are all individuals. My S&W 686 does not like 38spl cartridges of any loading, shoots them ordinarily to say the least. However throw a 357 ctg loaded with 158g lead projectile backed by 6.0g of Universal and it will shoot so accurately its uncanny. My Python however does equally well with both.

Another revolver of mine is a Colt OP in 38-200 Australian martially marked made in 1941. This gun has a 38spl cylinder opened up at Colts to take the 38-200 round, the rework marks and inspector marks are on the front of the cylinder, consequently the jump from ctg mouth to forcing cone is a fairly long jump, it is one of the most accurate revolvers I own and have ever shot. The barrel slugs at 356. Bare in mind also the chamber was reamed out to take the 38-200 round, shorter than the 38spl so there is alot of slop in there which in theory should make for a fairly inaccurate shooter!!! But it aint. Thus they are all individuals, what works for one may not work in another.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:Actually the shorter jump to the barrel is much preferred.
Yes, just as a shorter jump from a rifle chamber to the rifling is much preferred.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago with s&w and colt 1917 .45 acp revolvers some gunsmiths would shorten the longer than nessasary clyinder and install a longer barrel (backwards from the end of the frame). Supposedly it was to lessen the bullet jump and given better accuracy. I cant verify that. Maybe in sillouettes .357 power is needed over .38 but in old bullseye matchs it isnt. Just accuracy. I think it would take a fantastic shot or a ransom rest to tell the difference if there is any. If you really want to know I would go to the s&w chat site and ask the same question. http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php I would ask does the model 14 (K-38), .38 special ammo only, give better accuracy than the model 27 or 28 with .357 ammo? I think you would get more informed answers there. I also think overall there will be no provable diffinitive answer. EDITED: I just went over and asked myself.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

With this subject, there is theory and there is reality. There is also a whole lot of opinions, most of which fall into the theory column.

First the theory. Due to to longer bullet jump from the case to the cylinder throat, the longer magnum case should give a slight accuracy edge over the shorter Special case.

Now the reality. I have now 6 357 Magnum sixguns and 8 38 Special handguns and fire mostly 38 Specials in them all. If there is any difference I certainly cannot see it. Perhaps if it were cinched down in some kind of rest, there might be some noticable difference, but fired from my hands there is none. The most accurate revolver with 38 Special target wadcutters I have ever fired, bar none, was a Colt Python.

Therefore, I have not had any concern over this issue for many years. In my book, it is a distinction without any difference.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The best explaination so far over at s&w gave this: http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files/1 ... -1029.html
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would bet on average that the most accurate with 38 Specials are those chambered for that cartridge. But as said, guns are individuals.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My Python 8inch will shoot both well, but I rarely shoot 38s as I enjoy some recoil - makes me feel like I'm getting something accomplished.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:Thanks Rusty, I was looking for some real stories. In testing revolvers I found I liked the heaviest gun with .38 special loads. I think I should consider either a dedicated .38 special or be prepared to load .357's with reduced loads (which I do already for rifle).
In every .357 Magnum gun I own the .38 Special is likely less accurate. There have been a couple of anamolous exceptions for a particular loading through a particular gun though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

My Ruger GP 100 will shoot .38 spl loads very well but the same loads in .357 cases are better. OTOH in my Winchester 94 .357 mag rifle I have a strange anomaly. The chamber on the gun is excessively long and the throat is an abomination that is .4" long funnel after the long chamber! Despite the humongus jump the bullet has to make the Lee tumble lube SWC over 5 grs of Unique in a .38 spl case will group less than 3" at 100 yds all the time! Put it in a mag case it's no better. It shouldn't shoot that well at all but no one told the gun. Go figure.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

All I know is that most revolvers are more accurate than I am.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My Ruger SBH is more accurate with 44 Spl. loads.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

piller wrote:All I know is that most revolvers are more accurate than I am.
I resemble that remark! :oops:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

My Taurus 669 is extremely accurate with 38 wadcutters. Perhaps, it's the low level of recoil compared to my buffalo bore 180 hardcasts for big game hunting. Then again, I don't shoot nearly enough to make a qualified judgement. My wadcutter groups are much tighter than the buffalo bores. I limit my hunting range to no farther than 25 yards. Either is accurate enough for me :D
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I've seen guns that should have been .357 that were specially chambered for .38Spl. Seems like I remember NY required .38 but the guns they bought were supposed to be the longer cartridge, they just weren't drilled as long as the regular guns so there were truly chambered for .38. I can't remember what the details were but it was likely a model 66 or 686 I was looking at.
IF you couldn't find such a critter I bet you could have a cylinder made for one.

If you just have to remove any variable and trying for the absolute best possible accuracy, that is. I wouldn't sweat it, I have great accuracy from my .357's with .38.
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

My 686 shoots either well. When I practice at the range, I will practice from 5 feet to 45 feet and hit the target consistently.