Malin bl 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Malin bl 30-30

Post by HillbillyGadget »

I saw a BL with the brown laminated stock, I really like its looks and how it felt, however it is stamped (rem), makes me leery, I haven't bought a new Marlin for a few years not sure I would risk the purchase.
1894c

Re: Marlin bl 30-30

Post by 1894c »

i cannot speak for all of them, but i bought one this February and it has been a good shooter. i have shot over 300 rounds of factory and hand-loads (using a 170gr Rem. Core-loc bullet), changed the front sight with a XS-Sight and the rear sight with a Skinner (1895/336 sight). the fit and finish are good, accuracy is great, i have had no problem or issue with this REM-Marlin 336BL. the big-loop is something i didn't need, but kept it.

my strong advice to you is to look carefully before you purchase one. the stock is laminated it is heavier and the forearm is thicker than normal. there is allot of wood up front which could come in handy if you need kindling for an emergency fire--the honorable Buck Elliott was the one who pointed this helpful feature out...in the end this is one heavy duty 30/30... :)

I took a look at a 1895BL and noticed that they used the same size forearm, but with the bigger barrel the forearm doesn't look out of place--so it seems that Remington contracted one-size-fits-all forearms, just my lousy cranky back-east opinion... :)

i like this 30/30, i like the laminated stocks, i like the 18.5" bbl, i like the heft, i like the fact that it doesn't have a barrel-band, and i'm glad i bought one...going Mule Deer hunting with it this season... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Malin bl 30-30

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Thanks 336bl for posting pics of the sights.
It sounds like a great rifle.

HMMMM
1894c

Re: Marlin bl 30-30

Post by 1894c »

HillbillyGadget wrote:Thanks 336bl for posting pics of the sights.
It sounds like a great rifle.

HMMMM
i hadn't owned a 30/30 for 15 years...carried a Win.94 Trapper when i hunted in the Adirondack Mts of NYS. when i moved to the west coast i thought it wasn't "gun enough" for Mule deer. so i sold the trapper to a bud in NYS and tried one Tikka bolt gun in 270 Win, a few Marlins in 45/70, 444 Marlin, 44mag, and 357Mag (also tried a couple of Rossi's), all great calibers and rifles, but missed the 30/30.

it wasn't until i joined this forum that i re-discovered the 30/30 and was encouraged through many posts here that my back-east ignorance was wrong-headed. so last December i started looking for a Marlin 336 in 30/30 (although the 35 Rem looked interesting too)--looked on gunbroker.com, the LGS, and a few pawn shops to find a nice older 70's-80's vintage 336, but like you, came across the 336BL. simply put, out of all the 336's that i looked at this one interested me the most, rugged, simple, built like a 2x4, but that's ok... :)

Don't be frigtened off by the REM-marlin...yeah they had issues--real issues...but the recent samples i've seen aren't bad...again look carefully before you buy (i bought a Rossi that was pre-broke, never fired a shot with it, sent it back the same day i recieved it for repair--got it back last Thursday sold it on Saturday)...Remington still offers a warranty...at least someone is still making a Marlin...Winchester on the other hand...it's either used at a premimum or they are made in Japan.