Cute little Argentinian is here!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Cute little Argentinian is here!

Post by awp101 »

After all the thought and discussion of building a single shot or double rifle, musketoon, etc I went a totally different direction. :lol: I went back to an enduring fascination/love of mine: South American Mausers, specifically short rifles and carbines.

Found an Argie 1909 carbine elsewhere and snagged it. After shipping and xfer fee it'll be around $260. :mrgreen: The only downside is it's one of those that Century rechambered to -06 in order to make them more appealing to buyers ( they were originally 7.65x53).

I toyed with the idea of rebarreling to 7.65 but it's cheaper and easier to use a .312 expander plug and use .310-.312 bullets in -06 cases. A 7.65/06 if you will.

Here's the only pics I have so far:
Argie 1909 carbine 1.jpg
Argie 1909 carbine 2.jpg
21.25-21.5" barrel. Yeah, I like 'em short... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by awp101 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Cute little Argentinian will be here in a week or so

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like with some cast bullets in the '32' caliber range, you could have a winner...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The Lyman 311299 or 314299 depending on how the bore slugs.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm not a caster so I'll just have to see what I can come up with. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Darn, when you said "cute little Agentinian" I thought you meant one of these. :mrgreen:

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:Darn, when you said "cute little Agentinian" I thought you meant one of these. :mrgreen:
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

She Who Puts Up With Me will tolerate another firearm on the premises but another female? Not so much.

I may be crazy but I ain't stupid... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Back in the 60s when I was about 14 I saw one of those I couldn't afford in about excellent condition for sale in a hardware store along with some other surplus rifles.. But the Argentine shorty won my heart... That Bright metal receiver with the cool looking crest...You got a cool gun there bro..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice to see the Crest is still there.
There was a time that I had a very nice collection of Argentine arms. Mausers, Molinas, System 27's, and Hi-Powers.
I kept the 27's but sold off the rest. Really wish I hadn't done that. Gonna cost me a small fortune to replace them!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

awp101 wrote: The only downside is it's one of those that Century rechambered to -06 in order to make them more appealing to buyers ( they were originally 7.65x53).

I toyed with the idea of rebarreling to 7.65 but it's cheaper and easier to use a .312 expander plug and use .310-.312 bullets in -06 cases. A 7.65/06 if you will.
I like it! Although I would call it a .303-06 I like the looks of the carbine stock, you're not going to change it are you?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

awp101 wrote:After all the thought and discussion of building a single shot or double rifle, musketoon, etc I went a totally different direction. :lol: I went back to an enduring fascination/love of mine: South American Mausers, specifically short rifles and carbines.

Found an Argie 1909 carbine elsewhere and snagged it. After shipping and xfer fee it'll be around $260. :mrgreen: The only downside is it's one of those that Century rechambered to -06 in order to make them more appealing to buyers ( they were originally 7.65x53).

Here's the only pics I have so far:
Argie 1909 carbine 1.jpg
Argie 1909 carbine 2.jpg
21.25-21.5" barrel. Yeah, I like 'em short... :mrgreen:
Are you sure that the chamber was lengthened to 62mm? I would do a chamber cast to see if it was really messed with.
One has to wonder what Century was thinking, it would all be a odd chambering and dies and brass would be a pain to get. I guess fireforming 3006 would work for brass.

I have one just like yours, except it is in the correct chambering. I would like to find a 1909 that was made in Germany though.

Steve
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote: I like it! Although I would call it a .303-06 I like the looks of the carbine stock, you're not going to change it are you?
I have some gun shop "reman" 7.7 Japanese that I think I'll pull the bullets on and see how they do. :mrgreen: Unless the stock is only good for kindling (which I doubt), it's staying as is.
SteveR wrote: Are you sure that the chamber was lengthened to 62mm? I would do a chamber cast to see if it was really messed with.
One has to wonder what Century was thinking, it would all be a odd chambering and dies and brass would be a pain to get. I guess fireforming 3006 would work for brass.
I won't know for sure until it gets here but the seller said it was sold to him as a CAI conversion by one of the better known collectible-type Mauser vendors (who probably bought it from CAI in the first place).

As to WHY Century would do such a thing, all I can think of is they figured they would sell better in a "common" chambering, a .308" bullet going down a .310-.312" bore isn't a liability issue and most would probably never be shot anyway.

Or...:

:mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cute little Argentinian is here!

Post by awp101 »

OK, here she is! :mrgreen:

I think the wood plug indicates the stock started life as an Engineer Carbine stock.

Crest pics:

Now for the real head scratcher. The barrel has the importer info (CAI) and is plainly stamped "30-06". Problem is, the bolt won't close on a commercial or surplus round. I really don't know how far to trust the CAI stamps anyway as it is also stamped "Germany" when the receiver is clearly stamped "F.M.A.P". :roll: The shop that handled the xfer for me didn't have any 7.65x53 to check so now I have a couple of theories. It was stamped but never converted OR the gunmonkey doing the rechambering didn't run the reamer all the way in.

Regardless, it's not an issue to me. I'll get with my buddy who has some Cerrosafe and do a chamber cast. If it's still 7.65x53, great! If not, I saw some carbine barrels for sale at a reasonable price so I might as well put it back original. It's a mixmaster anyway so there is no value to be hurt.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

lol the monkeys must have just stamped import marks on this one, I will bet.

There is no way it could have been chambered in 3006 with that original barrel, unless it was reamed out and relined. A lot of work for that,

If it was chambered for 3006, with the barrel left alone, then it would have chambered the round.

I think you scored big time thanks to the monkeys!!

Steve
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

had one of those, much, much, much more beautiful than the pix above.

I wanted it for the action!!!

Because of Gun Laws changing in my Country I sold it ... regretted it ever since ...

It was a .30-06 Chamber and .7.65 bore ... accuracy was "battle acceptable" ... 3" groups at 100 yds ...

I HATE those sh!theads, that reamed the chamber up ... Brass is expensive and bullets uncommon, but it can be made in a very nice and accurate rifle ... in the original caliber!

Hermann
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

The Argentine Model 1909 is a relatively rare rifle. They ran those only for a couple of years and made relatively few of them. They were commonly re-chambered for .30-06, and all you had to do, as you have noted is to change the expander ball on your resizing die to one made for .312", and you are good to go. You can always put put 1909 Argentine loadings in the .30-06 casing. If it still the original chambering, cut down .30-06 cases, trim them up and run them through the regular size die. Bullet of .312" are what you need to find in jacketed bullets and you will have to slug your bore for cast bullets. Your cavalry carbine is quite desireable domestically made in Argentina. The remaining crest is in nice shape and it is unusual to find one this nice. You almost made the "steal" category in regards to the purchase price. Yes, do a chamber cast rather than go by what may or may not fit. Congrats on a fine cavalry carbine!
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Argentines always had great taste in guns! Love it and look forward to a range report.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Back in the early 60s a local bicycle shop had lots of Argentines in great shape for 60 bucks each. I bought a carbine, but later traded it off. I should have kept it. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln