'Skeeter load' for .45 ACP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

'Skeeter load' for .45 ACP?

Post by azmark »

I am curious as to whether it it possible to duplicate the ballistics of the 44. Special 'Skeeter load' in a .45 to use in a 1911?
Mark Dickinson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 'Skeeter load' for .45 ACP?

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES IT IS....BUT NOT IT'S EFFECTIVENESS.
THE CLOSEST MIGHT BE THE 452460 AT 975fps. BUT YOU'LL STILL BE GIVING UP A LOT OF BULLET WEIGHT.
NONE OF THE H&G68/SAECO69 BULLETS NEED APPLY.
AND THEN THERE IS THE 454423, THE 45AR REVOLVER BULLET OF SOME REKNOWN. MIGHT BE GETTING CLOSER THAN I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT. ON THE OTHER HAND, RUNNING THE 454423 THROUGH THE 1911 IS A SOMETIME THING YOU'D NOT BET THE NORTH 180,000 ACRES UPON....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have been shooting 452423 through various 1911 pistols for 50 years now and they can be very reliable, but there are a few considerations.

Not all 1911 pistols are the same. GI barrels are iffy at best as is a poorly throated barrel. You are going to ding the edge of the me plat going in no matter what.

Bullets cast of straight Linotype work best as they will slip off when the meplat edge takes hit rather than stick as with a softer alloy. Lino bullets will weigh in at 230 grains where as WW will rub about 242. The Lino bullets will shoot to fixed sights if the velocity is kept to ball speeds.

Bullet seating depth is critical. I leave just enough bullet shoulder out of the case mouth to get a good taper crimp.

I have settled on Bullseye powder and 4.7 grains. This load turns in about 825-850 fps. The only advantage is bullet shape. It does take deer cleanly.

On the whole, a fellow is better off with other bullets that have less issues.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Here's a bullet that looks pretty good, but I don't know anyone that has used them.

http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/i ... cts_id=155

I suppose you could work up a load with decent velocity.
Mark Dickinson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Back in the early 80's I read about loads with the Lyman 452424 bullets in 45 auto at around factory load velocity. I loaded up 100, they shot fine in my box stock Colt Combat Commander. I've been thinking about trying some again, they should be much more effective than the round nose or hollow points on larger critters, and cheaper to shoot than store bought when casting your own.

In looking around for info on the subject, I came across this page, it has some loads for 45 auto in a revolver, but its a starting point (as in, working backwards. not upwards). I believe I was loading 6 grs Unique with the Lyman 452424 way back when.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/45a ... ullets.htm
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?