Shooting anvils for Independence Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Shooting anvils for Independence Day

Post by Gobblerforge »

Back in the days of old in America, the fourth of July was a welcome holiday where many small towns had some sort of festival that on many accounts had fireworks. There were also many towns that due to lacation, funding, lack of planning or what ever, didn't have fireworks so other ways were used to get the desired boom and thrill of black powder being burnt or dynamite exploding. There was an old method of using two anvils to get an explosion. It's called anvil shooting. Many anvils have a concavity in the base and when that anvil is placed on the ground upside down, the cavity can be filled with black powder and another anvil is placed on top of the first, right side up. Thus the powder is captured between the two and when lit, explodes with much noise and smoke and the top anvil flies up into the air some many feet. Yeehaw. Well over the past few years there has been a rebirth of anvil shooting with organized events and competitions. The current record is over 500 feet for a 100 pownd anvil. Amazing. The only problem I see with all this is cost. The big boys are using up to one pound of powder at a time and at some $20 per shot, I'm out. So I started the quest to make the sport more frugal and came up with mini anvil shooting. That's right folks, you heard it here first. I have decided on a max load of 100 gains of black powder, a common hunting load for a muzzle loader, and percusion caps as the ignition source. in the pictures you will see the equipment needed. I have a bore for the powder that is 1/2" by about 2 1/2" deep. I just kept drilling untill a 100 grain measrue filled it. I put a card cut from a beer case to protect the anvils from fire etching and then place the anvil centered over the hole. The pecusion cap is placed on the nipple last. There is another block in the picture that was a tester. It has a 25 and 70 grain hole and is fuse lit. I found that the fuses started to get expensive quick and that lead to the cap system.
Happy Fourth Of July, America, Gobbler style. :wink:
Here's a video. I couldn't load it like you do pitchy. I can't figure it out.
Gobbler
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/go ... 0_0434.mp4
Here's another but I can't turn it. You have to turn your computer. :lol:
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/go ... 0_0435.mp4
And now what I think is the best combination. 1lb anvil with 100 grains of black powder.
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/go ... 0_0437.mp4
Last edited by Gobblerforge on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Click Click Boom
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting anvils for Independence Day

Post by Borregos »

Looks like FUN :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Where`s the results ?
If ya angle it a little maybe ya can shoot that one anvil back to China. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Love it. The firing mechanism looks a little scary, but otherwise very cool.

(how about drilling a hole in the bolt for a pin & ring setup more like a grenade?)

Good way to use those soft Chinese anvils too.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I tried a half dozen firing methods and this was the best. If you look real close in the one picture you can see a little hole in the firing pin. All of the pin in the grenade style that I tried took too much pull to get the pin to come out without moving the shooting base. This method proved to be very resistant to accidental bump and without the cap, is unarmed anyway.The cap going on is the last step. I like this better than the fuse in that the shooter has all the time in the world to prepare and fire when ready. Not wait for it, wait for it, waiBOOM......
Last edited by Gobblerforge on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Click Boom
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Pitchy wrote:Where`s the results ?
If ya angle it a little maybe ya can shoot that one anvil back to China. :lol:
You don't think I would use any good American anvils for this insult :wink:
Click Click Boom
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that. :D It sure is different from most other forms of entertainment.

Great idea on the 100 gr. charge as you can get your money's worth out of a pound of black.

I once made a #&)&@ that blew a lawnmower about 20 feet in the air.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gobblerforge wrote:I tried a half dozen firing methods and this was the best. If you look real close in the one picture you can see a little hole in the firing pin. All of the pin in the grenade style that I tried took too much pull to get the pin to come out without moving the shooting base. This method proved to be very resistant to accidental bump and without the cap, is unarmed anyway.The cap going on is the last step. I like this better than the fuse in that the shooter has all the time in the world to prepare and fire when ready. Not wait for it, wait for it, waiBOOM......
Glad to hear it. Still looks more scary than I'd want to risk while placing the cap & walking away... :oops:

Ever thought about using a 1/2 round section of PVC pipe instead so that it has a little more "keep it from just falling off" wrap across the top of the firing pin? Such a rig should still pull off as easily as the block of wood...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Good idea and worth trying. Hey, I'm just the concept, design and production manager. Detailing is down the hall. :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now the next thing to do is put a golf ball in the top of that mortar... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe a fender-washer under the head of that bolt would keep my heart rate from red-lining while placing the percussion cap...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm waiting for that human interest story with pics of a boy with an anvil stuck in his head.

For some reason that reminds me of an old cookout favorite, lawn darts. These were huge pointed darts with fins that you picked up and tossed across the yard for points, sort of like horseshoes. Haven't seen those in a while.

How did we survive?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I can't give a thumbs up to that ignition system either. How about polishing the pin, the hole, and whatever metal it rubs against (and minimize that too) with a dremel and some polishing compound. I'd bet you'll lower the pull needed by a huge margin while going back to a much safer ignition system.

Just me talkin' - nothing more.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Thanks for caring. I still have my lawn darts too. :lol:
Last edited by Gobblerforge on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Click Boom
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks good to me Gobbler,most nannies have a hard time having fun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

El Chivo wrote:I'm waiting for that human interest story with pics of a boy with an anvil stuck in his head.

For some reason that reminds me of an old cookout favorite, lawn darts. These were huge pointed darts with fins that you picked up and tossed across the yard for points, sort of like horseshoes. Haven't seen those in a while.

How did we survive?
My boys had some of those lawn darts back in the ealy-60's. We were always a trifle worried about the sons after we learned that a couple of kids had been "impaled" by them. IIRC, at least one kid was killed when it penetrated the top of his skull. /Anyone recall for sure?

Anyway both my boys made it--even though they had many adventures along the way. :D

ADDED AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT: Anyone happen to catch the TV show about BFDR's? (I think that may be the acronym-and it stands for Big, Fast, Dangerous, Rockets). Some folks were shooting them off in a dry lake bed and some made it as high as 10,000 feet. Talk about "lawn dart accidents" !! :roll:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My brother and I finally had our lawn darts confiscated.

Somehow, they kept getting stuck in the neighbor's roof.

Heck, we thought it was science seeing how high we could throw 'em.

:o :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JerryB wrote:Looks good to me Gobbler,most nannies have a hard time having fun.
An easy fix that decreases the threat of losing body parts is hardly fun-killing nannyism.

Gobbler, another thought: How about just using the already drilled hole as a "safety"?

Put second rope on a loose but full-through cotter pin that does not bind when the spring pressure is on the wood block.

After priming the detonator, first pull out the cotter-pin safety, then release the wood block trigger.

Beats losing a Face....
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

JerryB wrote:Looks good to me Gobbler,most nannies have a hard time having fun.

Dude. I wouldn't think of interfering and spoiling your fun. I'll hold your beer and watch.

I did a search and "Jarts" was voted the worst toy of all time, with second place being the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab, which came with samples of uranium ores and a Geiger counter. They haven't heard of exploding anvils yet.

http://funny-town.blogspot.com/2006/12/ ... -time.html
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BobSki
Levergunner

Post by BobSki »

Why not rig something up where you can shoot through a whole, igniting the primer and sending the anvil into space. :mrgreen:
Then you get entertainment on several fronts:
1), you get to shoot (always a good thing).
2), you get to run likeTonto if you miss the hole and have to dodge the ricochet
3), if you get a "splitter" where half the shot projectile ricochets but the other half ignites the powder you get to run like Tonto avoiding the ricochet but stand the chance of running under the falling anvil. Keeps your spacial awareness up to speed too. :twisted: :lol:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I gotta say that since I put a lot of time into trying different trigger devices and found one that never failed, I am stunned at the folks that have never tried it, yet discount it. Is this the direction my America is heading? More folks picking on a simple trigger that works than paying attention to the actual event done for your enjoyment. I feel I've failed at trying to share what I enjoy.
Click Click Boom
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gobblerforge wrote:I gotta say that since I put a lot of time into trying different trigger devices and found one that never failed, I am stunned at the folks that have never tried it, yet discount it. Is this the direction my America is heading? More folks picking on a simple trigger that works than paying attention to the actual event done for your enjoyment. I feel I've failed at trying to share what I enjoy.
Dude, I enjoy(ed) it immensely. I think it's a GREAT idea, and will likely build my own.

It's just that as an EMT, Firefighter, and friendly neighborhood IED builder (for EOD training purposes only) I have a rather different view of building things that go BOOM.

Maybe it's because I do it so much that safeties are important... because eventually Mr. Murphy and the Odds catch up to you.

But I LOVE the concept and, in general, the implementation.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I reread my post and I did come across irritated. Sorry about that. It's just that after a lifetime of black powder experience, and having strict safety rules, it's kind of insulting when folks immediatly assume I have no idea what I'm doing but are certain they know all about it. I have been working on this project for about six months and a half tin of percusion caps to get the results I want, good safe boom and inexpensive. I wanted to share the fun. The dangers are no more than hunting with a muzzle loader and perhaps less. My opinion, of course. :wink: One discarded method would have included using an old single shot action I have to be mounted in such a way the when the hammer fell it would stike the cap. I wish I would have taken a picture of the mockup. I still chuckle at how silly it looked. Very overcomplicated and I felt bad cause it can still be made into a working gun/ furure project.
Even the lightest load of 25 grains did a good jub of sending the 1lb anvil some 20+ feet and a good boom. Go on youtube and look at all the videos of full size anvil shooting. Lots of fun there.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
BobSki
Levergunner

Post by BobSki »

Gobblerforge,
I hope you didn't take my post as sarcasm or ridicule, it certainly wasn't meant as such. Just my attempt at humour. I have NO experience with Black Powder and I also have no experience of sending anvils into space. In fact, if we tried such a thing in England, I'm sure we would lose our liberty. Your creation certainly looked a lot of fun and yes, I enjoyed watching it and understand why you would find it entertaining.

All the best
Bob
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

:mrgreen:

I guess "strict safety rules" for 500lb+ VBIED builds ARE a little different than for 100gr BP boomenshooters. :lol:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Boy I sure enjoyed the shows! More power/powder to you and many more pleasant/enjoyable fun anvil shots.

Busa
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Gobblerforge wrote:I gotta say that since I put a lot of time into trying different trigger devices and found one that never failed, I am stunned at the folks that have never tried it, yet discount it. Is this the direction my America is heading? More folks picking on a simple trigger that works than paying attention to the actual event done for your enjoyment. I feel I've failed at trying to share what I enjoy.
Nope! You didn't fail at all. I watched it, got a kick out of it, showed it the the wife (who thought it was silly, but that's a different topic), and generally enjoyed your post!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
ozarkdomes
Levergunner

Post by ozarkdomes »

I'm trying to upload a video, but it seems to be taking a while.
the video will show a mini anvil shoot. calculated height of this shot is 170 feet+/-
My next shot topped 222 ft, my record for this set up.
Been shooting minis for about 2 years, it can get extreme. Like the big guys, shots of 4-500 feet could easily attained (but I don't see the point of "orbital launch capabilities", kind of over kill on a fun little game). BUT!!! and that's a big one...
SAFETY FIRST!!!

I hope the video uploads ok, if it don't i'll shorten it and try again.
ozarkdomes
Levergunner

Post by ozarkdomes »

ok, just a picture of the anvil as the powder detonates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ozarkdomes
Levergunner

Post by ozarkdomes »

a short "mini anvil shoot" video can be seen at
http://youtu.be/9n7jZRQ6yb0
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That looks like fun!!! :D :D :D
ozarkdomes
Levergunner

Post by ozarkdomes »

yeah, but now the wife planted a BEAN FIELD in my launch site. ;-(>
she got mad when some of the bean plants got roasted :twisted: "NOT ME!" I said, but she knew.
Well, the search starts for a new launch site and LZ.
[___]>

UP, UP, AND AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Having paid about $4 a pound for my nice old Trenton, I couldn't believe it when I first heard about this sport. But when I look at all the ratty anvils at flea markets and such, I have taken a far more subdued view. That rig looks pretty good, Gobbler.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've seen them before, shooting the full-sized ones. There's even a place I've passed by that advertises such... I'm just glad none of my neighbors participate... Not sure I have enough insurance coverage!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Looks perfectly safe to me and reliable and trustworthy. Simple and nothing to remember.

So, how high will 200gr toss it?

There was a dingbat movie with a scene where the Col or whatever was in back shooting anvils. Those looked like fun shots but they were probably styrofoam, eh?

Good use for gunpowder...
...Grizz
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I got to thinkin about anvil shootin the other day and was wonderin if a couple of those small 15 dollar anvils would work? Anybody know?
I know it wouldn't be as great as the big boys, but it might serve well to get the younger generation interested.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
ozarkdomes
Levergunner

Post by ozarkdomes »

Rusty wrote:I got to thinkin about anvil shootin the other day and was wonderin if a couple of those small 15 dollar anvils would work? Anybody know?
I know it wouldn't be as great as the big boys, but it might serve well to get the younger generation interested.
I used a little $15 one for on top, but they are cast iron. personally i wouldn't use one on bottom, you'd have to bore it out plus have a vent (for fuse or cap). i think the cast iron wouldn't hold up, if it didn't dis-intagrate on test fire. I test fired my base (launcher) with NO onlookers, extreem testing was done to insure reliable and safe firings at normal load. my first little anvil lost all 4 legs before i lost it. The Utah desert doesn't give little metal things back so well.
Anyway, i wouldn't use a bored one on bottom. Make a launcher (i use back hoe bucket pins, TOUGH stuff), i might suggest 36 cal. about 2 inches deep. you might start with 25 gr ffg. i think mine maxxed out at 50 gr or so (packed). ALWAYS, ALWAYS, think safety and run any designs by other gunnies (black powder guys will know). Stress testing is important also, making sure it stays intact under the highest loads. Remote test firings can be attained with a longer fuse or a release for a cap hammer with a long string.
Good luck, be safe.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

If you are going to get in the spirit of it, why have a trigger system at all? Just a line of gunpowder or a short fuse and run like heck.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

If you are going to get in the spirit of it, why have a trigger system at all? Just a line of gunpowder or a short fuse and run like heck.

I could see a powder line working but the reason for the percusion cap was to eliminate "running like heck" with the fuse. The cap remains idle until the shooter is ready, no matter how long. Then there is the cost factor. If you shoot enough you will find that fuse gets expensive. The caps are inexpensive in comparison and more available. I have been shooting enough now to be able to land within 10' of my intended target, usually a pop can. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a good system to me and the same setup i used when i tested that action on that breechloader.
Looks like fun :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang Gobbler, that looks like so much fun that I'm on the way to my steel pile to see what is available as soon as the dew burns off. Available material greatly effects my designs so who knows what will come from it.
Gotta fix a brake rod on my tractor this morning, then try to get some soy beans planted for my deer.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Gobblerforge wrote: ...Hey, I'm just the concept, design and production manager. Detailing is down the hall. :lol:
Gobbler
Gobbler - Some folks here seem not to have gotten this memo. :roll:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Gobblerforge wrote:I reread my post and I did come across irritated. Sorry about that. It's just that after a lifetime of black powder experience, and having strict safety rules, it's kind of insulting when folks immediatly assume I have no idea what I'm doing but are certain they know all about it. I have been working on this project for about six months and a half tin of percusion caps to get the results I want, good safe boom and inexpensive. I wanted to share the fun. The dangers are no more than hunting with a muzzle loader and perhaps less. My opinion, of course. :wink: One discarded method would have included using an old single shot action I have to be mounted in such a way the when the hammer fell it would stike the cap. I wish I would have taken a picture of the mockup. I still chuckle at how silly it looked. Very overcomplicated and I felt bad cause it can still be made into a working gun/ furure project.
Even the lightest load of 25 grains did a good jub of sending the 1lb anvil some 20+ feet and a good boom. Go on youtube and look at all the videos of full size anvil shooting. Lots of fun there.
Gobbler
Hey Gobblerforge, no need for an apology. I understand your impatience with the concern expressed about your methods of this and that. Seems a lot of that kind of "concern" going on around here lately. Whatever happened to folks just enjoying (or not) what has been posted and not pestering all of us with their apprehensions. :roll:

Appears you have the process well thought out and under control. Have a Happy July 4th ...and blast away!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

You Yanks always amaze me, anvil tossing with dynamite. The Scots in my heritage threw telephone poles, big rocks, solid rights, and weird hammers but it never involve black powder!

Please note cultural point. To me you're all Yanks regardless of which side of the War Between The States history locates you. The Commonwealth soldiers called all GIs Yanks.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bob, no problemo. Most Americans find a huge difference between Yank, Brit slang for an American soldier or sailor, and Yankee, many of whom are still considered da*ned by their Southern brethren.
And no offense to your Scots heritage, but I'll take anvil shooting and a pulled pork BBQ over eating haggis and oats and tossing telephone poles just about any day ...
:lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Gobbler, That is no more dangerous than a loaded gun and many of those here carry one of those loaded every day.
The lack of muzzle control and common sense is what makes for danger.
My property is too overgrown for that. I would loose the anvil after almost every shot. :o
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Bill in Oregon wrote: ...... And no offense to your Scots heritage, but I'll take anvil shooting and a pulled pork BBQ over eating haggis and oats and tossing telephone poles just about any day ...
You won't get any argument from me on those points. Iwas offered haggis but nowhere near man enough to taste haggis. I'm no big fan of organ meat but certainly nothing that doesn't even qualify as meat as well!

As far as safety is concerned. Unless in a dangerous job like a LEO I could not imagine anything more risky than a drive after dark on a payday weekend. A little friendly anvil launching might keep the glassy eyed riff-raff of the highway!

How about free drugs if you play Dodge The Lawn Dart Anvil Game?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Canuck Bob wrote: Please note cultural point. To me you're all Yanks regardless of which side of the War Between The States history locates you. The Commonwealth soldiers called all GIs Yanks.
How could I take offense to being called a Yank by someone who obviously takes no offense to being called a Canuck? :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not because I am being critical, but because all the discussion got me thinking: I used to use this thing called a boulder buster made by Swartklip in S. Africa. It was a big steel tube with a barrel on one end and the other end unscrewed. It was attached through a mat of woven rubber. You had these boulder buster carttridges that were basically purple coloured centerfire 12 gage shotshell things. You drilled a hole in a boulder (not little ones, but like one or two times the size of a truck). You drill a hole with a jack hammer (privided you do not fall off the boulder trying) and fill the hole with water. Drop in a couple of the cartridges, and then the barrel of the boulder buster went in the hole. A rimfire 12 guage shotshell like thing went in the top and the top was screwed on. There was a long lanyard, and at the end was a bit of thin cable with a steel ball at the end. The steel ball went into a slot in the side and into a grove in the firing pin, then rotated around with the cable sticking out the top. There was clearance for the cable, but not for the ball. When you pulled the lanyard, the firing pin would be retracted until it came out far enouhg to release the ball, and then it would fire. The boulder would shatter, and the whole device would go 50 feet into the air with the rubber mat flapping like a sonarless bat before it piled up in some impossible to extract place between boulders.

The ignition system was simple, easy, and safe, other than the fact that the lanyard was made from a yellow floating rope that stretched 3 feet when you pulled it, causing the heavy steel ball to come whipping back through the air and hit you in the face.

Of course, you cannot get lead line (shock tube), but I wonder if a shotshell primer shooter would not work well for you if attached solidly? You could use a hair pin as a safety that can be easily pulled out with one lanyard, and then fired with the second lanyard. It takes 209 shotshell primers, so it would be cheap to use, and just take a bit of modification to set up.

Edit:
Nevermind, I forgot how expensive they are. I remembered them being like $60, but I'm never the one who pays for them . . .
http://www.idealblasting.com/idealhandstarter.aspx
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bill in Oregon wrote:...
And no offense to your Scots heritage, but I'll take anvil shooting and a pulled pork BBQ over eating haggis and oats and tossing telephone poles just about any day ...
Errrr....

Don't mix the Caber Toss & Anvil shoot without discussing it with your (hopefully) friendly BAT man...

"Caber Shoots" don't go over well with TPTB....
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!