.356 as an investment hunting rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

.356 as an investment hunting rifle

Post by t.r. »

The 356 is fading quickly into history. A very well built middle-bore that failed to become popular in the marketplace.

I have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used .356 for $600. but am wary about losing money over a period of time. I'm hoping to own a rifle that will not drop in value because ammo availability is a concern.

Do you think these hunting rifles will jump in value same as the older 348 Winchesters?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .356 as an investment hunting rifle

Post by TedH »

So long as you don't lessen the condition a great deal, you won't loose money, and I expect they will gain value over time to collectors, if not the hunting crowd.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Never buy anything as an investment, only buy if it interests/pleases you. In such cases the value means nothing. If value is everything to you move on. Nothing is certain so you should invest your labors in what is good and useful to you. Family (food, home, etc), your real interests (but this might be good if you have an interest in trying one and will turn it over quickly a la RJohns), charities, and so forth, not things which you doubt will please you enough to keep and which you EXPECT to retain value. This is just my view.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Hobie wrote:Never buy anything as an investment, only buy if it interests/pleases you. In such cases the value means nothing. If value is everything to you move on. Nothing is certain so you should invest your labors in what is good and useful to you. Family (food, home, etc), your real interests (but this might be good if you have an interest in trying one and will turn it over quickly a la RJohns), charities, and so forth, not things which you doubt will please you enough to keep and which you EXPECT to retain value. This is just my view.
what he said.

However, if it was me, I'd take 10 fifties and try to swing a deal.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You are investing the the experimentation and peace of mind that comes with knowing what the rifle can and cannot do and if it does it to your liking. If the experiment is a failure to you, or the rifle does not live up to the expectations, you may break even for it or it may cost you $100 to find out. Either way, the risk/cost is low enough to try it. If it cost you $100 to decide this gun isnt for you or doesnt do what you want that is not a bad price for a lesson learned and what equates to "renting" the rifle for the time it is yours. If you keep it, it may or may not increase in value but is less likely to retain its value if you use it at all. There are a lot of things that a $600 will bring a return on but right now that rifle isn't one of them as a sure bet. Just like the commodities you are taking a gamble.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Buy it. Not that bad a price, if you don't like it for some reason, you can sell it easy enough and guessing for about what you paid for it, maybe even more.

I had an early 307 model, (no safety) good gun except the trigger. I didn't like the trigger at all, consequently didn't shoot it well. (well enough to hunt deer with, but being a perfectionist or obssessionist whatever, it bugged me, as it should have shot better, and I attribute all of that to the trigger. Just too young at the time to know any better. Traded it. Wish I still had it.

Me, I am still thinking on buying a Marlin 356 or having one made.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a 6mm Remington Ruger, and it's a "fading" round as well, but it does the job, and is still worth about as much as any other used Ruger in similar condition. Maybe in a few decades it will be scarce enough to be 'desireable', or maybe just 'obsolete', but since I enjoy it I'm ok with that.

i.e. - What Hobie Said... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Not sure about the "fading into history" comment.
356 Big Bore rifles I've seen in the past 5 years or so don't last a week on a store rack. Anyone who knows lever guns knows what they are and they snap them up!

Hobie is spot-on. Buy loose gemstones and '60s Mopar convertibles for investments. Buy fine leverguns to shoot! Nobody lives forever.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

$600

Buy it and use it(but------------take care of it)
I bet you will love it,not want to get rid of it,cause its a gun that is fantastic and is a classic.

Use it/love it------------------------keep it nice,and even you can start reloading for it.

I think---------------------------------you saw it(and you like it)already???????????

Get it

My gut says(you take care of it/used or not kept decent---------------won't lose money! :wink:

but that is JMHO

And the pleasure while you have it---------------tips the scales ahead of the game!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I decided to pass up the 356 Winchester. Not interested in making cases from 444 at this time.

Right now my focus is a Wild West trigger for my older Glenfield carbine.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!