Rust bluing: trouble with lockplate and hammer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Rust bluing: trouble with lockplate and hammer

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am rust bluing a 1888 model 1884 trapdoor Springfield that someone previously had sanded to bare metal for some reason.

It went well with the two barrel bands and butt stock plate and screws, giving a pitch black, almost wrought iron finish after just three. Cycles.

However, I have moved on to the forearm cap, the lockplate and the hammer. The forearm cap is rusting normally, but the lockplate part under where the hammer was, and the hammer itself are resisting rust. I thought it was not degreased properly, so I started over, but to the same result.

Where these parts hardened originally and do they rust slower, do you think?
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rust bluing: trouble with lockplate and hammer

Post by Wayne Miller »

Exactly. They were originally color case hardened, and much harder than the other steel in the rifle.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Rust bluing: trouble with lockplate and hammer

Post by Sixgun »

Jack,
Check your P.M.------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD