Moved my gun safe today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Moved my gun safe today

Post by El Chivo »

Been thinking about it but was afraid to try it by myself.

However tonight I was in one of those moods so I decided to go ahead.

My safe is a small Cannon, about 475 pounds. I used PVC pipe as rollers - I used 1.25" (inside diameter, outside is about 1.75"). I just tipped it up and kicked some pipe under it. Pushed it along over the rollers. Then, off the rollers, I slid it the last few inches by lying on my back and pushing with my legs.

I think 1.75" is a little high; I had to tip it quite a bit and was close to the point of tipping over at times. Next time I'll use a smaller size. But otherwise it was a snap; no strain at any time.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Moved my gun safe today

Post by Gobblerforge »

My suggestion for this type of move is to use my beloved golf balls. They will roll in any direction as well as spin in place and can take a lot of weight. If I need to roll something by my self, I can line up two rows of golf balls and easily push a safe. Word of warning is to use a 1/4" plywood over surfaces you don't want golf ball tracks on such as wood or vinyl flooring.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Hmmmm, rollers and golf balls......

Guys, we need to get together on a project I was thinking of.

I've got this property in Egypt and I'm thinking of some sort of monuments of stacked stones.

I was going to hire outside for alien technology to help build them, but now it looks like I won't have to outsource and can do this in-house.

(grin)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

wecsoger wrote:Hmmmm, rollers and golf balls......

Guys, we need to get together on a project I was thinking of.

I've got this property in Egypt and I'm thinking of some sort of monuments of stacked stones.

I was going to hire outside for alien technology to help build them, but now it looks like I won't have to outsource and can do this in-house.

(grin)
People credit the Scots with inventing golf but the truth is that the Knights Templar discovered the game in digging under the temple mount and brought it back to the Rose Chapel from whence it spread. Golf was hugely popular in Egypt but they didn't mummify their balls so we have little to no proof of their invention of the game.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used nominal 3/4" PVC and it worked well, even on carpet (though you can really just slide them on carpet if you can use your feet when lying down).

There are youtube videos of a guy moving 'Stonehenge' sized rocks with similar 'primitive' pivoting and rolling technology BY HIMSELF, which is thought-provoking.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My Wife and I moved a 10 X 50 Deck abot 20 feet using 4in heavy wall tubing as rollers. Worked like a charm.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Kid's disc type snow sled will work, too.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

PVC rollers I'd heard of.

Didn't know the golf ball trick.

And when you're done, you have a lifetime supply
of stickball outfits! :-) (Yeah - that dates me!)

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Chinese saying, "One man can move a mountain if given enough time"

I had a 1,200 lb safe flat on the cement floor and backed in a cubby hole..........then I remembered I wanted it 6" off the ground........Took me about 2 hours to lift it straight up and slide in the 6 X 6.

A buddy of mine used to work at a graveyard and he told me how they used to get coffins back in the hole in mausoleums.....b b's--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Several years ago I needed to move a 10X12 utility shed. I took a lot of the stuff out of it but left a bandsaw and about 400# of fertilizer that was in the back. I levered it up then had Jr. put some round fence posts under it. After I set it down I started to push on it and almost broke my nose. Just a little bit of pressure and it took off like it had it's own engine. I didn't even break a sweat. In fact it was so easy it really made me think about how the pyramids were built.Maybe less to it than meets the eye.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It's not something I do in my house, but I once helped move an ATM located in a grocery store. We poured cooking oil on the floor and used about four guys to slowly push it into place.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

When I brought my safe into the house I just borrowed a vertical dolly. Took 3 of us to move it on the carpet, and for extra eyes to move it into the fourth bedroom . (to avoid any hole in walls or torn up woodwork). I sure don't want to move it again, one of my sons can when I pass. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Used ¾" sched 40 PVC when I moved mine last. Worked like a charm. It's how the safe builder moved into my house from his trailer when he delivered it in 1982, so in '91 when I moved it... figured I couldn't do ANY worse than the professionals that move it from CA to TX the year before did... (THEY put the ONLY scratch it has on it)! Hint... don't use a refrigerator dolly unless you pad it well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Depending on the floor, I've used cardboard or an old rug and slid safes before. Even "duck-walked" them. Okay as long as you aren't going too far, and staying on a single level, AND the safe isn't too heavy, it works.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Rollers work great until things get heavy.

Had to move 14 pieces of electrical equipment that weighed 6,800 pounds each once. Smooth floor, thick steel rollers, four men pushing and four pulling and they wouldn't budge.

Watched a heavy electric motor get lowered onto two inch thick steel (schedule 40) rollers on asphalt. When the motor touched the rollers it just kept right on going until the rollers were about a half inch high. Motor weighed 30 tons.

Some of the structures in Egypt have blocks that go over 200 ton. Ani't no way they were rolled on logs over dirt.

Cat
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Hobie wrote:they didn't mummify their balls
We bow to your superior knowledge :-)
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Catshooter wrote:Rollers work great until things get heavy.

Some of the structures in Egypt have blocks that go over 200 ton. Ani't no way they were rolled on logs over dirt.

Cat
I like the numbers the experts give on the Great Pyramid that is was built in 20 years. But what I like even more is I remeber hearing that with the number of those many ton blocks that were used, they would have had to lay one every 9 seconds for that 20 years. :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom