Fried Green....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Fried Green....

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ji and JimT may already know about this, but...

What do you do with a bunch of bananas that won't ripen?

Slice em thin, or slice em into sticks and deep fry them. (You can't peel a green banana. Cut the green banana in half lengthwise and scoop out the meat from the skin with your fingers. It will come out whole ready for slicing into "fries".)

When green, bananas don't taste like "bananas". They taste more like a sweet potato, and they fry up right nice in 375 oil with very little absorption.

Also, FWIU banana starch is significantly enough different from potato starch so as not to spike serum glucose levels like potatoes will.

Try it sometime. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Fried Green....

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe I'll try that with PawPaws this year. First year (unusually dry, of all things???) I've seen many on the trees in our woods.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I was thinking of breakfast but this just killed that thought.

All can really say is we need a puke icon for this thread.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

J Miller wrote:Well, I was thinking of breakfast but this just killed that thought.

Joe
That was pretty rude Joe!! I find it very interesting when people post with new ways to cook things. I was impressed with the nutritional value of the fried bananas because of the non-glucose spike which make it very healthy. I like fried sweet potatoes, so this would be something I would like to try.

Just a thought, if one is trying to lose weight, maybe something like this would be a good alternative to fried potatoes.

Steve
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Hey Doc ! U mean there really is such a thing as a PawPaw. I thought it was just a song We sang in School.
Fried Green Bananas, I could try that, I like deep fried anything.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Might be good. Now on Paw Paw's I haven't seen them since I moved down south here in Florida. We had them by the loads in Illinois along the Fox River. Good eating only problem was the seeds. Each fruit is loaded with them and they are big. Take a gunch of Paw Paw's to make a good meal. Miss them a bit. Thanks for mentioning them. ATB
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Plantains and green bananas are VERY popular with our hispanic neighbors. At McDonald's, in Panama, you could order french fried plantains, but not just fries. I really didn't care for them all that much.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Fried green 'nanners??? Ain't that what killed Elvis?

:shock:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, plantains or green bannanas are some good eating. Heck, I like them still to green for most folks but still peelable. The wife always complains I eat them before they are ripe enough for her. :mrgreen:

Hey Blaine, where were you stationed in Panama? My dad grew up in the canal zone, Navy brat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:Yep, plantains or green bannanas are some good eating. Heck, I like them still to green for most folks but still peelable. The wife always complains I eat them before they are ripe enough for her. :mrgreen:

Hey Blaine, where were you stationed in Panama? My dad grew up in the canal zone, Navy brat.
Ft Clayton, 1990 until I retired in 1992. I could see the Mira Flores locks from my barracks window.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

SteveR wrote:
J Miller wrote:Well, I was thinking of breakfast but this just killed that thought.

Joe
That was pretty rude Joe!! I find it very interesting when people post with new ways to cook things. I was impressed with the nutritional value of the fried bananas because of the non-glucose spike which make it very healthy. I like fried sweet potatoes, so this would be something I would like to try.

Just a thought, if one is trying to lose weight, maybe something like this would be a good alternative to fried potatoes.

Steve
So Steve, if I agree with the original post and get all brown nosy about it then it's not rude. But if I think the idea is unappetizing and say so then it's rude?
Naw, I wasn't being rude, just saying how I felt about it.
Which by the way, IS allowed on this forum.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Oh Yea! Fried bananas and plantains are great! Drizzle them with cinnamon and honey, much like fry-bread or sprinkle with roasted coconut.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

J Miller wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Joe

Steve
So Steve, if I agree with the original post and get all brown nosy about it then it's not rude. But if I think the idea is unappetizing and say so then it's rude?

Joe
Joe,
Don't care if you found it unappetizing, the way you said it was rude. I don't go around posting there should be puke icons when you complain about, well just about everything.
I also thought the irony of it also. Complain about not being able to lose weight and when something is brought up that could help....................well you said it.
Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I didn't take offense.

OTOH I've found that as long as I don't tell people what I'm cooking they generally like it. THEN I tell them what it is... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

SteveR wrote:
J Miller wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Joe

Steve

Joe
Joe,
Don't care if you found it unappetizing, the way you said it was rude. I don't go around posting there should be puke icons when you complain about, well just about everything.
I also thought the irony of it also. Complain about not being able to lose weight and when something is brought up that could help....................well you said it.
Steve
Steve,

I wasn't rude before to you, this was not your thread. But I'm gonna be now.
GO POUND SAND DUDE and get the hell off your soap box.

Joe
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If they taste like sweet potatoe, guess they would be even better with Butter and Brown Sugar
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The grocery stores I deliver to here in Fla have different types of customers from store to store. When the customers request it they will order "cooking bananas." They are pure green and will never turn. The others are referred to as turners.
All bananas come off the boat green. When they get to the warehouse the ones to be made turners are placed in a room and are exposed to ethylene gas via a "cooker" that heats ethylene alcohol to the point where it gives off vapor. The air in these rooms is always moving by way of large fans. Bananas have to stay between 55 and 65 degrees. Warmer and they'll ripen too fast, if they go below 55 at any point they'll turn gray instead of ripe.

I had a great Aunt who lived in Key West for years. She had a recipe for banana fritters that was GREAT! She used bananas with very little yellow to them and would sprinkle them with lime juice before covering them in batter and deep frying them. Dust with confectioners sugar before serving.
Thanks for reminding me about the fritters, I hadn't thought about them in years.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back in the late 1800s when Hawai'i had several waves of immigration we had a sizable influx of Puerto Rican immigrants arriving to work in our sugarcane fields which Puerto Ricans were very experienced at for several generations. They introduced their food culture to Hawai'i, and one in particular which has become assimilated to our local cuisine is the patele (aka pastele) which is basically a tamale but instead of corn masa green banana are grated finely into a masa and wrapped in fresh banana leaves instead of dried corn husks before steaming. The filling is usually pork cooked in red achiote oil and sliced black olives. I LOVE pateles but too lazy to make my own so usually buy from roadside vendors. Deep fried green banana chips are great too salted lightly when hot from the frier. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Back in the late 1800s when Hawai'i had several waves of immigration we had a sizable influx of Puerto Rican immigrants arriving to work in our sugarcane fields which Puerto Ricans were very experienced at for several generations. They introduced their food culture to Hawai'i, and one in particular which has become assimilated to our local cuisine is the patele (aka pastele) which is basically a tamale but instead of corn masa green banana are grated finely into a masa and wrapped in fresh banana leaves instead of dried corn husks before steaming. The filling is usually pork cooked in red achiote oil and sliced black olives. I LOVE pateles but too lazy to make my own so usually buy from roadside vendors. Deep fried green banana chips are great too salted lightly when hot from the frier. :mrgreen:
I've heard that the pork tamales in banana leaves are very good. I didn't know about the banana masa though.
There is a place here in Phoenix that sells them at Christmass time.
I have been wanting to try one for years. might have to soon! :mrgreen:

Dave B
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

J Miller wrote:
I wasn't rude before to you, this was not your thread. But I'm gonna be now.
GO POUND SAND DUDE and get the hell off your soap box.

Joe
Joe,

You say you were not rude to me, well calling someone a brown nosier isn't a very endearing thing to say. I explained nicely how I liked the post and it gives me ideas to lose weight, and yes I am successful at losing weight. I like to try different things to eat in life.
Oh Joe every time you show up here it has to be so drama, like the bike indecent, that was soooo lame. I usually just let it go, but I guess one of your 5 million plus posts (exaggeration you are so worried about how many posts you have) was enough for me.

Well enough said and as Joe says time to get off my soapbox. lol

Steve
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I tried them tonight---------------Absolutely fantastic!
My wife and pooches loved them too.

Also we get em at our local outdoor market for 3lbs/$1 (so some cheap eating)

And with them(used the left over oil)which OI is right hardly sucked up any(fried up some free green tomatoes too) :mrgreen:

Topped it off with some grilled hot turkey sausage/peppers!

Now for a couple cold dark draft Guinness!

Thanks for the tip! (I even have the left over makings for some fine omelets tomorrow---with hot sauce :wink: )
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Banana/strawberry pancakes 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV