Sight pusher for Miroku Winchester 92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bharada
Levergunner

Sight pusher for Miroku Winchester 92?

Post by bharada »

The front sight blade on my Winchester 1892 (1996 manf) got bent when the rifle took a tumble onto the garage floor. Removing it was pretty simple with a punch and hammer.

I have a Marble fiber optic replacement on order from Brownells and don't think I'll have much difficulty fitting and installing the new sight into the barrel dovetail with the punch and hammer, but was wondering if anyone makes a sight pusher for barrel mounted sights to aid in fine tuning the final positioning.

Thanks.
-Bill
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sight pusher for Miroku Winchester 92?

Post by Lefty Dude »

The item you seek; is a brass drift punch and a small hammer. :wink:

BTW; the new sight will want to go in from right to left, in the dove tail.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Welcome to the forum, bharada!

Here is a link to a recent thread here on Leverguns about moving a sight. I hope it helps:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=42870

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
bharada
Levergunner

Post by bharada »

Thanks guys. That's what I suspected after doing multiple Google searches.

Brass punch is on order. Already have a ball peen hammer suitable for the job. I was hoping to use a pusher so I could make final sight adjustments at the range where I won't have access to a bench vise.

Shasta, the thread you linked to mentioned to center the front sight best you can and adjust windage with the rear sight. Unfortunately my rear sight is drift adjustable, too. :lol:

Looks like a Marble tang sight is in my future. :D
-Bill
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest you center the new front sight blade ( you DID order a WIDE base front sight to fill the wide barrel dovetail, didn't you ? ;) ), then drift the rear bbl sight for any windage adjustment needed, since the movement will be less noticeable at the rear sight.

Before commencing drifting, however, I would also suggest first applying a small strip of yellow masking tape across the bbl immediately ahead/behind the sight and mark with a pencil where the edge of the sight currently resides.
If you do that, any sight movement can be easily seen/gauged.

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

When fitting front sights into the dovetail, I use a very little vice to press the sight to the proper place in the center of the ramp. The jaws are 1" and it also opens 1". I hold it the hand when fitting. A little filing vice kan also be used.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
bharada
Levergunner

Post by bharada »

I ended up ordering a Marble folding sport rear sight which is windage adjustable.

So I'll file the sight dovetails to fit the barrel and touch up blue them. Then use masking tape to mark the barrel centerline and drift the front and rear sights to center.

I should have everything in hand on Thursday so it'll be my Labor Day weekend project.

Thanks guys.
-Bill
bharada
Levergunner

Post by bharada »

Got the new sights installed.

Rear marble folding sight:

The front sight was one tap away from being centered when the punch slipped and snapped the fiber optic rod. :x I have some replacement rod on order, but for now I've installed one of the broken bits.

I definitely like the flattop rear blade over the semi buckhorn that came with the rifle. But I still have to take it out to the range.
-Bill
bharada
Levergunner

Post by bharada »

Front sight all fixed...
Image Image
-Bill