96 mauser, 6.5 swede

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

96 mauser, 6.5 swede

Post by walks with gun »

I was wondering if any of you knew about safty's on these old swedes, Dad just picked up a sporterized, manlicher stocked 6.5 swede with a additional side mounted trigger block saftey. The checkering on the saftey matches the checkering on the cocking piece and 3 position safety and has matching serial numbers. Anyone ever seen anything like this. I'd send pictures if I could but can't find my crayons.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: 96 mauser, 6.5 swede

Post by SteveR »

Many of those were converted to sporters in Sweden in the 40's and 50's. Some were build from scratch others were after market parts.

I bet it is a sweet shooter.

Does it have scope mounts?

Steve
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Never seen a military Mauser in 6.5 like that, but it was their national rifle for 40+ years, and a lot of sporting actions (like in Germany) were made similarly.

Wouldn't surprise me, though I'd like to see pics.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Next to the model 98 Mauser the swedes were the safest of the small ring actions because of the metallurgy and craftmenship. Wouldn't hot rod but then you dont need to.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The safety could have been added when the rifle was sporterized. The rifle may have also been originally built as a sporter and not in military issue. I've never seen any military M96's or M38's with that type safety.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Does it look like the one here?

http://www.allans-armory.com/aapictures ... d=060821SW

Steve
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

SteveR wrote:Does it look like the one here?

Steve
If so, it is a "Ume-säkring" - a safety made in the town Umeå.

Hopely your rifle isn't as butchered as that one in the pictures.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

This is a simple type saftey that keeps the sear from rising when the trigger is pulled and mounts with one pivot screw on the upper tang, I wish I could post pics. The saftey is numbered with the last three didgets of the serial number.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

If it doesn't shoot worth beans, slugging the bore might b I'n order. My 1898 vintage 94 Swede carbine is .268 and a half. There are bullets for the larger bore size. Most people seem to not have a problem with accuracy...quite the opposite. Would love to see it if you can take pics.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I am hopeing accuracy will be good, dad came up with a few shells factory Federal 140's, We mounted a Leupold 4X on it, bore sighted it, then I took 3 shots at 25yds. 2 holes touching and one less than .25'' away. He ordered some Hornady 139gr. bullets so maybe next week we can do some loading and testing and I will try to send pics. I'm looking forward to seeing if a 25yd. group will greatly expand at 100yds.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I posted this over on Mauser Central in hopes we can get you more info: http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42249

The Swedes are among my all time favorite rifles... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
SteveR wrote:Does it look like the one here?

Steve
If so, it is a "Ume-säkring" - a safety made in the town Umeå.

Hopely your rifle isn't as butchered as that one in the pictures.

Pete
I love the Swede 96 & 98's, I have a few. We tend to get some of the less nice ones here, but I wouldn't sell my nice rifles either!!

I am working up a cast load for my 6.5x55, Paco wrote about the load, using 3100 powder and getting into jacketed speeds. Hope to use that to fill my whitetail tag this year.

Steve
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Thanks awp101
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

walks with gun wrote:I was wondering if any of you knew about safty's on these old swedes, Dad just picked up a sporterized, manlicher stocked 6.5 swede with a additional side mounted trigger block saftey. The checkering on the saftey matches the checkering on the cocking piece and 3 position safety and has matching serial numbers. Anyone ever seen anything like this. I'd send pictures if I could but can't find my crayons.
Good luck with it, let us know how you make out.

I like Privi Partizan 140gr soft points from Graf's and Sons. Cheap and shoot pretty good.

Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Any chance we can see a picture? I have a real soft spot for military sporters.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've got it torn down right now, the wrist and grip were so danged thick for such a little rifle Dad figured it would be hard to use with gloves on so I thinned and reshaped it to match his ol springfield sporter, maybe next week I'll e-mail some pics to Pitchy and see if we can get him to post them for me. Bullets will hopefully will be here by then and I can load him some factory duplicate type rounds.