any body shoot a 25-20?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

any body shoot a 25-20?

Post by ollogger »

Dont see to much on it & am wondering how many of ya shoot it & if ya use cast or jacketed bullets?
Yes I picked one up this week its a92 Winchester with oct. bbl, it seems like a sweetheart
but havent had much of a chance to really take her out on a date yet, maybe sunday
and pix when we can OK

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: any body shoot a 25-20?

Post by Old Savage »

Did a little work with one of the Marlins - it was picky and I never found the sweet spot in the time I had with it. Fun though. Belonged to a friend and he traded it off. Good luck.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I have Remington pump that's a great little shooter. I've never shot any cast but I have an old box of 60gr that are hotter than a firecracker. It's a great caliber.
Mack
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Brad,
Yep on the 25-20. Do a search on me on a post I did back in the early part of this year. It was the hardest cartridge for me to get shooting right with a Model 53. Finally hit a home run with the Ranch Dog bullet (500+) that Steelbanger sent me. No problem with a Remington pump gun and so-so with a '92 and a '94 Marlin with the Lyman 70 gr and 4.5 of Unique.

I since found out Ranch Dog no longer makes that mould. Something for me to play with in the winter.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I have a couple of those in M92. Never shot any jacketed. Shot all mine with the Lyman 257312 (casts up about 90 grains lubed with gas check and sized .258). Been using Winchester 680BR but they don't make that any more and I'm about out. My notes show me using 10 grains of H4227 at one time, and 11 grains of H4198 at some other time. Never chronod my 25-20 and have not really played with other loads or bullets.

I use it as the next step up for new shooters when they want to try shooting with a "centerfire" after they've gone through all my 22's. Also it is my main "running bunny" weapon when after the wily jack rabbit. But since my part of Oregon seems to have virtually lost the jack rabbit population I haven't employed it for serious business in years.

My primary rifle is an old turn-of-century 92 that had a model 53 barrel put on and Williams peep added. It has a little excess headspace and case life is mediocre (about 6 to 10 loads before case head separation). Which may be why it doesn't get more shooting use. They are real pleasant little shooters.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have two 92s and a 53 but haven't shot either of them. I have everything to load but just haven't gotten around to it. I have fired a couple rounds through each 92 and it seems like a Sweet little round. Good luck with it and enjoy.
I do hope there is no conflict with U dating another Girl. Get Pics first. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I don't shoot it but have about 15 rounds of brass. If you need it just PM me and I'll send it your way.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Kyle B.
Levergunner

Post by Kyle B. »

I have a model 53 that shoots both cast and jacketed bullets well. With the 85 grain Meister bullets I use 6.5 grs. of H-4227 and with 75 gr. Speer bullets 12.5 grs. of 1680 have been very accurate. The 1680 load was also very good in a model 92 I once owned. I use the rifle for ground squirrels in my pasture but did ruin one coyotes day with it. My grandkids love to shoot it as its not loud and has no recoil.
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

I have a Winchester model 1892 SRC in the caliber that is one of my favorite guns. Finding jacketed flat nosed .257 bullets for the .25-20 proved to be a problem right after I bought the rifle. Hornady makes a 60 grain bullet, Speer makes a 75 grain bullet, and Remington makes an 86 grain bullet designed for the cartridge, but they were all on backorder. I found some 73 grain cast bullets with a gas check on Gunbroker so that's what I've primarily been shooting. These bullets shoot remarkably well and keep the barrel clean.

As some of these other bullets have become availible I have bought some and tried them out, but I keep going back to cast bullets.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

ollogger,

I was without a 25-20 up until a couple of years ago. I don't know how I waited so long to get one. As sixgun indicated it is a very accurate cartridge when loaded with the right combination.

Sometime when you have an hour or so to spare, check out this thread. Just about everything one could learn about the wonderful 25-20! :mrgreen:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloa ... aders.html

Have fun!
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I shoot three of em a Mod 53 TD a Marlin 27s and a Rem 25 all with cast. I use them for small game hunting and such. Win 231 is a good powder for me with a Rem small rifle primer. Check out the stickey mentioned above it is over 60 pages so will take a good part of a day.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like its a likeable little gun, Sixgun i remember your post on the 25-20 & so its your fault
that i had to sniff one out of the closet! MM I have a bunch of brass but thak you for the kind offer
yup i hope to spoil a few varmints day with it, did shoot it today with imr 4198 & 60 gr. horndy
bullet & it did ok for me, shot it 6 times at paper & got bout a 2 in. group at 50yd. then went to a 100yd & ripped off 10 at some steel, most of them would have hit a coyote, I was stingy on the ammo
cuz I only had 50 loaded, need to order some 60 gr. horndy & 75 gr speer & look around for some cast
bullets also, oh the steel target was off hand shooting

thanks for the info guys

ollogger
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Never spent much time with one, but I do have an Ideal mould for it.. it's not for sale or trade, but could be borrowed, by local propane truck drivers.. :mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Don Ive got to go that way this week, most likely tuesday
thanks, ollogger
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Okydoky.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I have a Model 53 Takedown that's been in my family forever. I don't take pride in saying this but it was my first deer rifle and fortunately never had the opportunity to shoot one or worse: wound one with it!

Back in the 60's you could but Remington 60 hollow point ammo which was real groundhog medicine.

It is probably my favorite Winchester due to the family history with it.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I've got an old W92 SRC -- it is fun to shoot -- burns brass quickly! Mine needs a new extractor.... one of these days I'll get it out to Steve to fix up.

I reloaded them with the Speer 75grn jacketed bullets... shoots like a charm.

My daughter loves it, she promptly claimed it as her own after shooting it 5 times.

Chad
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I have an original Winchester 1892 octagon 25-20 in real smick condition with a button mag. 1913 the bore is like mint.
I have only ever shot jacketed through her and she is very accurate.
Model 92 1913 004.JPG
Model 92 1913 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

msmith1228 wrote:I have Remington pump that's a great little shooter. I've never shot any cast but I have an old box of 60gr that are hotter than a firecracker. It's a great caliber.
Mack
Nice! that must be a remington model 25 , a rare and neat little gun!
i have one in 25/20 and 32/30 but havent gotten to work much with them yet.
cable
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Anybody else ever heard of the Jordan buck? That is the first thing I think of when somebody mentions the 25-20.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Glad you brought up the Jordan buck, once was the world record shot in Wisconsin
& was killed with a 25-20, deer dressed bout 400 lb. if i remember right

Nick thats a beaut for sure

thanks guys & get to shooting them little buggers, there fun

ollogger
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Yup, Jordan started the day out with 5 cartridges. Shot a doe for his buddy, and was down to four. Then, he flushed The big One and took three shots at him but missed. He continued to track him and killed him with his last cartridge. I think he scored 205.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

hfcable wrote:
msmith1228 wrote:I have Remington pump that's a great little shooter. I've never shot any cast but I have an old box of 60gr that are hotter than a firecracker. It's a great caliber.
Mack
Nice! that must be a remington model 25 , a rare and neat little gun!
i have one in 25/20 and 32/30 but havent gotten to work much with them yet.
Yes it is a model 25. I bought one in 32-20 a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to shoot it yet. The 25-20 was a bank guard gun in the 20's and 30's.
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

I have a Model 53 Takedown that's been in my family forever. I don't take pride in saying this but it was my first deer rifle and fortunately never had the opportunity to shoot one or worse: wound one with it!
The 25-20 is legal for deer here in Texas. Back in the 50's the 25-20 was considered a fine deer cartridge. As far as what I saw it did a good job. I'm not promoting the use of the 25-20 for deer. I've never owned a 25-20. I'm just joining in on the conversation. :)
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I have one - a custom Martini Cadet with an octagon barrel. Very nice gun. Likes 85 grain cast bullets and the 86 grain round nose soft points (which are really hard to find locally). Topped with a Lyman Jr. Targetspot in 8x. One of those guns you shoot for fun, just because it is so much fun. Also set up for a Redfield peep sight, so it can be used for scheutzen or ASSRA shooting.
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

A few months go was was doing some cleaning around in my reloading room and found a partial box of .257 cal. Hornady 75 gr. hollow points that I had abandoned......that's when I had a "what if" moment and loaded them up in my .25-20. Here's the results:

My .25-20 is a Winchester '92 with a tubular magazine so I can only shoot it single shot, but the bullets do shoot well through it.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

kevind6 wrote:A few months go was was doing some cleaning around in my reloading room and found a partial box of .257 cal. Hornady 75 gr. hollow points that I had abandoned......that's when I had a "what if" moment and loaded them up in my .25-20. Here's the results:

My .25-20 is a Winchester '92 with a tubular magazine so I can only shoot it single shot, but the bullets do shoot well through it.
u can shoot it single or any way you want

it will NOT set off the cartridges.
recoil is nothing and no need to worry
cable
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Those 75 grain pointed hollow points are much easier to find on the sporting goods store shelves in my area than the 70 or 86 grain jacketed flatnose bullets are. If they aren't a hazard to use in the tubular magazine of a '92 Winchester, maybe I'll just start loading them too. Did you try to see if they would cycle from the magazine into the chamber in your gun? Are they the right length? Is there a crimping cannel on those bullets?
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

southfork wrote:Those 75 grain pointed hollow points are much easier to find on the sporting goods store shelves in my area than the 70 or 86 grain jacketed flatnose bullets are. If they aren't a hazard to use in the tubular magazine of a '92 Winchester, maybe I'll just start loading them too. Did you try to see if they would cycle from the magazine into the chamber in your gun? Are they the right length? Is there a crimping cannel on those bullets?
These bullets did not have a cannular for crimping as I recall, thus, I had to rely on the friction from the case neck to keep the bullets from pushing through. Using new brass this wasn't a problem, the necks were tight enough that I could deep seat the bullets so they would easily cycle through the action. But for my once fired brass, things got a little more complicated, the necks were looser and it was tough to get the brass to grip the bullet tight enough that I couldn't push the bullet through with my thumb. Most of this was because I was trying to put the crimp right where the bullet begins to taper in......but again, this is where it had to be in order to cycle through my action.

Anyway, this bullet seating depth dilemna on these hollow points was another reason I opted to just shoot the bullets single shot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

kevind6 wrote:
southfork wrote:Those 75 grain pointed hollow points are much easier to find on the sporting goods store shelves in my area than the 70 or 86 grain jacketed flatnose bullets are. If they aren't a hazard to use in the tubular magazine of a '92 Winchester, maybe I'll just start loading them too. Did you try to see if they would cycle from the magazine into the chamber in your gun? Are they the right length? Is there a crimping cannel on those bullets?
These bullets did not have a cannular for crimping as I recall, thus, I had to rely on the friction from the case neck to keep the bullets from pushing through. Using new brass this wasn't a problem, the necks were tight enough that I could deep seat the bullets so they would easily cycle through the action. But for my once fired brass, things got a little more complicated, the necks were looser and it was tough to get the brass to grip the bullet tight enough that I couldn't push the bullet through with my thumb. Most of this was because I was trying to put the crimp right where the bullet begins to taper in......but again, this is where it had to be in order to cycle through my action.

Anyway, this bullet seating depth dilemna on these hollow points was another reason I opted to just shoot the bullets single shot.
I use the 75 gr. Hornady occasionally. In fact I let loose about 50 of them last weekend. The most accurate bullet I ever shot out of my 53. You have to grind about 1/8" off the nose (I made a jig) and then can be loaded normally, and yes, they cycle. I use the Lee FCD to add the crimp.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello to all the winchester Model 1892, 92, and 53 owners who replied to this post. I am conducting a research survey of the 1892/92 line of rifles and have just over 3700 rifles in the effort. I would love to add any of your rifles into the effort if you would be so kind. I will need a few photos of each rifle and the serial number also. I will be glad to give you the correct year it was manufactured and an idea of its originality, possible value, and how it fits into the changes made during the production of this Model. You can read a bit about the work at these links:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093
http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=3460

I also know another member here, Kirk, who is doing the same effort on the Model 53's. He and I trade data often and I would think he will be glad to tell you what he can about your rifles.

You can reach me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com
Thanks for any assistance in this work. It is only possible with other peoples help. Eventually Iwill publish the results so that we can better understand our rifles and our hobby.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations