Got out of the 10/22 business today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Got out of the 10/22 business today

Post by Panzercat »

A few months back I picked up a thoroughly average 10/22, blued w/synthetic black stock. They were so highly recommended I figured what could go wrong? The original intention was for this to be a pack gun, so i had all kinds of ideas about getting a fancy Butler Creek folding stock, shortening the barrel, adding a scope, etc etc.

Adding the scope came first, and that's where my disillusionment with the 10/22 began. One of the four tapped scope screws stripped almost immediately. I come to find out this is a common issue with Rugers and I'd have to drill it out. Yay. I could still mount the scope with the other three successfully extricated screws, so i left the drilling for another time. Next came the butler creek stock. Found one used for $60 as opposed to paying $80-100 for the things. Took it home, mounted it and... It was now heavier than my 30-30. What? Some pack rifle this was turning out to be. As if to add insult to injury, the after market magazine I bought also turned out to be a turd; literally useless after only two trips of light usage at the range.

I've seen the stories of people who love their Rugers, but apparently I wasn't going to be one of them so I cashed out for a full return on my investment. I now have $300 and change for... Something.

I have to admit some indecisiveness. I don't have a good .22 and feel I probably need one with the focus being on a pack rifle. Light weight, portable and reasonably reliable. I already excluded any gun i have to screw together to obtain its basic functionality. The first thing that came to mind is a Keltec SU22. It's 4lbs and folds into an orgami square. Sure it's a "black rifle" but everything says it should do the job reasonably well. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on it, but...

...But there's always something in the back of my mind that begs for a more well rounded cartridge than the .22. Can anybody relate? A food rifle is great, but if this is a pickup and go rifle, I want the maximum utility I can possibly wring from it. Since I'm a Keltec fan, the Sub2000 9mm carbine has attracted my eye. It's the same weight and also folds. 9mm can get game just as easily as a .22 within the same ranges and it has better performance on larger meat. I'm sure we all know somebody who has taken out Polar Bear Ninjas with only a .22 and their bad attitude, but I'm not one of them, let alone a more dire social situation.

Maybe I'm asking a lot, but I need help resolving this crisis. Do I make do with the .22 or put in for the 9mm? A different idea? Dual wielding .22 pistols? I can add a bit more to my $300 budget, but lets say $350 is pushing it.

Thanks peeps. I know It'll be good advice regardless.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
1894c

Re: Got out of the 10/22 business today

Post by 1894c »

i too no longer have any 10/22's, they bored me...i now own two Browning BL-22 (.22 levergun) they have been light weight, reliable, and worth the xtra cost, very easy to mount a scope. Browning also make the SA-22 which is a semi-auto that breaks down into two pieces... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I know You are sour on Rugers now but have U considered the new Ruger 10-22 takedown, and You can get them in Stainless.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO (and it's certainly worth less than 2 cents), the 10-22s that are flaky are the ones people mess with and add stuff onto. I've never heard of problems with stock guns/factory mags. I've got 22s coming out my ears, or I would get a stainless takedown.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Panzercat wrote"But there's always something in the back of my mind that begs for a more well rounded cartridge than the .22"
I had the same delimma several years ago. Get a 32-20 and a whole new world awaits You. :) .
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yep... The Ruger 10-22 is a complete gun, right out of the box meant to be cleaned, loaded and Shot -- as-is, maybe with the addition of a good, light-weight, low-power, Quality 'scope.. Maybe..
The 10-22 is already, short, light and compact. It is NOT an AR... Accept the fact that the .22LR cartridge offers limited range and power, and adapt your thinking to the facts..

10-22s "boring..?" yeah.. They work, and they do it with no muss or fuss or fanfare.. If it Does break down, or get lost or run over by a John Deere lawn tractor, there is always another one, somewhere close by, that you can get for pretty cheap, to replace it..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I don't think they are bad firearms, but I'm another one that doesn't particularly like them for some reason... they come and go, but are never missed when they leave. I could pick one up today on some pretext or another and then "fall out of like" with it within the week. Heck, I'm toying with the idea of getting another one as I sit here and type, and I'll be darned if I know why... maybe I'm a gambler at heart or something.

The mention of a folding stock brings back memories. About 25 years ago I bought a Choate folding stock thinking it would make the 10/22 that I had at the time a "better" gun; it didn't. I also wasted coin on "flash hiders," various sight and scope combinations, hi-cap magazines, accuracy mods, etc, etc over the years on subsequent 10/22s, few of which improved the basic gun very much (and some which - like the folding stock - actually made it less useful). The less I did to them, the better I generally liked them. Of all the variants out there now, I'd probably get a target model, put a scope on it and call it quits.

(As if I could!)
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For your purposes you might want to consider the Ramline folding stock - it is way lighter weight than the Butler Creek or Choate. Stick with factory mags or single-stack aftermarket ones with metal feed lips for best performance.

I don't know of any other .22 LR rifle I'd recommend more for a fold-up 'pack rifle' setup, although most of the could be set up that way.

The Marlin breakdown 70PSS 'Papoose' could be an option; I know folks using them as their 'truck gun'.
(photo from Marlin website - http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... /70PSS.asp)

Consider (I know you're sour on the design though) the Ruger 'Charger' for compact-ness, as well. You need really strong arms to shoot it 'Weaver-style', but with it rested on something it is going to be able to hit golf-ball-sized targets at 75 yards consistently. You can get an integrally-suppressed barrel for it so it is quiet as a pellet-gun, too.
(photo from Thompson website - http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14)

As far as a 'bigger cartridge', the 9mm is probably under-appreciated, but I've had bad luck over the years with nearly all 9mm's I've owned when it comes to complete reliability. However, you might consider a Marlin Camp Rifle in 9mm or 45 ACP, or the Ruger Camp Carbine in 9mm. I think aftermarket folders are available for both. That would make it same-cartridge-compatible with some good CCW-gun options, too.

Actually, I KNOW an aftermarket folder is available for the Marlin:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote:Panzercat wrote"But there's always something in the back of my mind that begs for a more well rounded cartridge than the .22"
I had the same delimma several years ago. Get a 32-20 and a whole new world awaits You. :) .
There is a big empty niche in the firearms world at that power-level, that's for sure. Lots more designs and brands could be produced and we'd buy them up...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

After market mags are not usually a good idea for the 10/22 unless they are of excellent quality. Just stick with the Ruger 10 round factory rotary magazines or if your desire is hi-capacity look to the Tactical Innovations TI-25 mags. They are engineered to be adjustable to fit your particular 10/22. I have a few TI-25 mags and after they are adjusted properly they are good to go for fabulous mag dumps. The only other thing I'd highly recommend is a Volquartzen extractor. So many cycling problems can be fixed with a simple extractor change.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

The Henry Youth model weighs only 4.5lbs. That's what I would like to have for a pack/canoe rifle.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

rock-steady wrote:Image

The Henry Youth model weighs only 4.5lbs. That's what I would like to have for a pack/canoe rifle.
Ditto, except that I'd go for a full-sized carbine. Nothing offers the versatility of a .22LR, IMO, not to mention ammo cost & weight, but if you have to have more power, you might consider a .22 WMR.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

If you still like the idea of an autoloading pack rifle,, I would buy a 10-22 takedown, some Ruger 25 round mags, and take care with the scope mount. That combo is lighter and more packable than the folding abominations, and is typically more accurate than a standard 10-22 (hard to believe but true).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
.45colt wrote:Panzercat wrote"But there's always something in the back of my mind that begs for a more well rounded cartridge than the .22"
There is a big empty niche in the firearms world at that power-level, that's for sure. Lots more designs and brands could be produced and we'd buy them up...!
.22mag is the niche filler :idea: .38 Special energy, and excellent penetration.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I think it was just a number of things that just weren't working out for me while readily acknowledging that others have absolutely no problems with them. The fact that it actually became heavier than my 30-30 after the stock was added was the deciding factor after the other little straws. (I considered the ramline, but saw too many reviews on their purported flimsy nature). Mags were certainly an issue, but even after a thorough search, the amount of conflicting information on what constituted a quality mag for the 10/22 was absolutely staggering. I wasn'tt going to keep throwing good money after bad to test them all.

I guess the general consensus is stick with a .22 of some flavor.
32-20? My first question is what am I going to have to pay to find something that even fires it :D
[edit] I see .22 mag there too just now.

Will see what I can find. Thanks!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Due to their mass delayed blowback design, most 9mm carbines are actually pretty heavy. I have several and I like them for plinking, but light weight they are not.

To be honest with you, an M1 Carbine is a flat out dandy little field gun for plinking and small game. Nowadays more $$ than you have unfortunately. :(

Another very light and compact little carbine is the original Mini 14 folder. Again, a bit out of budget I'm afraid, but the ORIGINAL Mini was light and tidy.

A Rossi 92 .357 carbine is definitely in budget and I cannot recommend it highly enough! The 16" model is probably lighter than your .30-30 and probably more compact as well. Stoke it with .38s and you're on to some very gentle plinking.

Lastly, the Kel-Tec 9mm carbine. As I said, they're heavier than most folks want to recognize due to the heavy bolt (same goes for the Marlin and the Ruger 9mm carbine even more so), and they actually have a pretty sharp recoil due to that heavy bolt crashing into the back of the receiver (the Ruger 9mm and .40 cal carbines are so heavy this is not a problem). I've had women and even some men hand one back to me because they just didn't find all that thrashing around to be pleasant. If I then hand them an M1 Carbine their faces light up. A Ruger 9mm carbine weighs more than a Mini 14! It's nuts and that's why I sold mine (no good high cap mags for the Ruger either).

The Kel-Tec DOES fold up nicely! That's its one really big selling point I think because there are better carbines out there to be had (not least of which is Kel-Tec's 5.56mm carbine) if you don't need a gun that fold up into such a small space.

I recommend a Rossi 92. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Ruger 25 round magazine works flawlessly.

Most aftermarkets do not. Friend of mine with a stock synthetic 10/22 has a pair of 25's and we put around 300 rounds rapid fire through them without a single hiccup, using 550-round Remington cheap stuff.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Keltec Sub2k 9mm is only 4lbs.
And you're right, everything else in the 9mm carbine world is far too heavy for anything close to a "pack rifle".
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

A Rogue River Chipmunk is very lightweight and handy. It's also surprisingly shootable, given its small size. I carry one in the truck when I might need a .22 rifle.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

IMHO a 22LR bolt gun is the most reliable, dependable, simple piece of weaponry ever developed. I picked up a used one for $75 and refinished it. Shoots shorts, longs, and LR all from the same magazine. Try that with ANY semi auto!

If you want a light weight carry gun, you can lighten the wood stocks to unbelievable low weight, and since you do not need a ton of strength in the stock to withstand recoil, make it like you want.

You can buy a spare stock and swap it out for "normal" shooting/hunting outings. Cut the barrel to 16.25" (just to be sure) and shorten the stock to just above legal OAL and you're good to go. In states that allow it, you could even rig some sort of expanding stock, if you want more length of pull.

Power? It's a fact people that kill deer with 22LR. The lung shoot them and 45 seconds later they drop dead. Legal? Nope, but for survival, the caliber is hard to beat.

Defense? This, to me, is the ONLY advantage of a semi auto. You could pump several shots in an attacker, quickly. He will not last long with his lungs shot up. Most 22LR will completely penetrate a person wearing light clothing.

If it's supposed to be reliable, then a bolt gun is the most reliable platform going.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, I know it's still in the 10/22 family, but I still would like one of these. . .

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I bought my 10/22 like 30 years ago and still love it. It's had several lives, and some were better than others.

I likes this one so much that I bought a second one to 'doll up' so that I didn't have to undo this one. After I was done I thought it looked stupid, so now it's set up just like my first one.

Nearly my oldest rifle.

Squirrels fear this gun.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My 10/22 is a '76 vintage a gift from my dad. I added Volquartsen guts to smooth it up and accurize ot, then added some touches to make her resemble a M1 Carbine. I don't like the new 10/22s with their plastic trigger groups. I think the oldies were higher quality IMHO. :wink:
ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Maybe it's just me, but the 10/22 never impressed me enough to buy one. I've shot several that seemed to shoot well enough, but they never really "spoke to me".

Years ago when I was in my 22 autoloader phase, I had a Remington Nylon 66 all black version that I swore by and kept behind the seat as a truck gun until it was stolen out of my truck one night.

Now my main 22 is a Rossi 62 Octagon pump with a Marbles tang sight mounted on it. I've made a few 10/22s look bad with that Rossi.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I just went with a savage bolt rifle, all composite stock, oversized bolt handle, scoped with a 2x7 Redfield, and topped it with a silencer, with accu trigger. I'm impressed with it's performance and I plan to do lots of woods waking wih it this year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:I just went with a savage bolt rifle, all composite stock, oversized bolt handle, scoped with a 2x7 Redfield, and topped it with a silencer, with accu trigger. I'm impressed with it's performance and I plan to do lots of woods waking wih it this year.
I'd like to see a range report on that one...! 8)

Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Get a Marlin 795 or a model 60 . My 795SS weighs only 4.5 pounds and is very accurate out of the box.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

My used Marlin 795 did not impress me. It found another home. YMMV. My 10/22 with a red dot sight was ok but my 10/22 with a Bushnell 4x rimfire scope is deadly. All I've added to that stock gun is a Power Custom hammer for a little lighter trigger pull and a Yellow Jacket polymer recoil buffer. I'd like to get other 22 rifles like a Browning Buckmark and a Henry. I've read about but never held the TC semi auto and the Magnum Research 22 WRM that could be interesting. I have an older Ramline 25 round magazine that seems to work fine but I mostly use Ruger 10 round mags.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

AJMD429 wrote:Yeah, I know it's still in the 10/22 family, but I still would like one of these. . .
Alright, now that's impressive. Base rifle, plus mods, plus tax stamp... KINDA OVER MY $350 BUDGET ;)
Yeah, I've worked on an older 10/22 in my company temporarily and the metal trigger group is far more inspiring. Now it's all plastic and the pins seem to jump out voluntarily.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wanted a good semi-auto .22 LR. I got a Remington 241...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 1969 Belgium Browning .22 Auto. It breaks down, and is very, very accurate. I don't know that you could find one for your price, though, unless it was one fugly rifle. You would really like it I'll bet. One of the newer Jap ones would be good, as well. Stay away from the NORINCO POSs :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love my 10/22's. My love affair with the gun started over 30 years ago when my Dad bought me one for my birthday. It was the last gun he bought me before he died. I have shot it so much I can't even estimate the thousands of rounds I've put through it. Even the cheapest .22 fodder I could find. Accurate and dependable. Yes, certain non-OEM magazines stink - as they do with many firearms - but this is hardly Ruger's fault. With good after-market magazines, and certainly with factory ones, the gun goes bang with boring monotony – though to me, it will never be boring.
I picked up one of the TD’s for my birthday this year, and love it. Will love it even more when I get the barrel threaded…
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've shot a few Ruger 10-22s ......... yawn ..... boring.

OK, stock Ruger 10-22s are like Glocks. They work. Nothing more need said.

But they don't impress me enough to buy one. As a matter of fact no 22 auto loader impresses me enough to buy it. Just a personal thing I guess.

One more thing, the 10-22 "platform" :roll: has been altered, modified, improved, changed, fixed, ad nausium till I'm flat burned out reading about them. Kind of like the 1911s. I sometimes wonder if people just have to ruin a perfect design because they just can't stand to leave it alone.

OK, I'm done now. I agree with the poster that uses the Henry .22 lever action. A simply marvelous design that doesn't need much more than a better set of sights. And I not talking about a carry handle either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

1. Don't over tighten screws in an aluminum receiver.
2. If you don't like the wood stock get a factory plastic stock. IMHO, Butler Creek is over rated and over priced.

3. Stick with factory magazines.
4. Forget the scope and add a rear peep and front firesight.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rock-steady wrote:Image

That's what I'd go for if I didn't have my 9422.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:With good after-market magazines, and certainly with factory ones, the gun goes bang with boring monotony – though to me, it will never be boring.
Didn't "Chief AJ" or someone named like that shoot something like 10,000 hand-tossed wooden cubes in a row without a miss, using a 10/22...??? Seems like the gun had to do its part if that's true...!

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

1. Don't over tighten screws in an aluminum receiver.
I'll let ruger know. In fact, I never even got it out of the receiver straight from the box, thanks. I'm no gunsmith, but this is apparently a known QC issue according to some.

2. If you don't like the wood stock get a factory plastic stock. IMHO, Butler Creek is over rated and over priced.
I didn't say i had a wood stock. in fact, I had the black plastic orginally. The build quality of the butler creek was actually fine. heavy, but very solid. Agree with the overprice, which is why I found it used for a good $20-40 markdown depending on where you shop.

3. Stick with factory magazines.
Found that out after a bit of wasted money and some busted advice. There's conflicting reports about what works and what doesn't all over the place with almost no consensus. I already acknowledged this wasn't Ruger's fault.

4. Forget the scope and add a rear peep and front firesight.
Scope was just fine. Stock sights sucked however. Peep and firesights = more money that I wasn't willing to spend or could get better for less on other firearms.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:With good after-market magazines, and certainly with factory ones, the gun goes bang with boring monotony – though to me, it will never be boring.
Didn't "Chief AJ" or someone named like that shoot something like 10,000 hand-tossed wooden cubes in a row without a miss, using a 10/22...??? Seems like the gun had to do its part if that's true...!

I have one of Chief AJ's 10/22's and it will be one of the last guns I will EVER give up! He was a constant figure at the
OGCA show in the '90's a real showman and gentleman.
My 10/22 set up as a Scout Rifle will chew one ragged hole at 50 yds, a bit larger at 100.

My Dad has two custom 10/22s one LR and one MAG. Both are "Tack Drivers" put together by a novice.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Panzercat, sorry to hear of your disappointment. It really sucks when a new gun doesn't meet expectations or even minimum performance. The newer ones seem prone to QC issues.

I bought a used 10-22 decades ago when the little stock was still walnut. I put a WGRS on it and it made a nice little M1 wannabe. It was the fussiest gun for ammo I know. It constantly shaved lead while feeding. Polishing and shaping the ramp helped a bit. In a moment of weakness I recently bought a Timney trigger for it and I'm getting one of those clunky looking pads to lengthen the LOP.

Your plan to get the Browning is excellent. I am waiting to find a beat-up one in good mechanical shape for a truck gun.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I like my Browning Buckmark sporter,lightweight,carries like a dream and will shoot just about anything you feed it

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I currently own 2 Ruger 10-22`s and have owned several more over the years. (I gave several away to friends to train youngsters with).
I have never had an issue with any of them. They take a
licken and keep on ticken. :wink:

Some people can brake a 100 lb. anvil with a rubber mallet.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

There are some older Winchester lever actions in the 150 or 250 series you might want to look at. They are non-traditional lever actions, and the stocks will not win any beauty contests, but they are light, accurate, and point well. They also have one of the best lever action triggers I have ever used. They can generally be had for $200 to $300. If you aren't dedicated to having an auto loader it might be an offbeat alternative that would be fun to play with.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I currently own 2 Ruger 10-22`s and have owned several more over the years. (I gave several away to friends to train youngsters with).
I have never had an issue with any of them. They take a
licken and keep on ticken. :wink:

Some people can brake a 100 lb. anvil with a rubber mallet.
Chuck pretty much nailed it. There is no common problem with the base mounting screws stripping (pretty rare actually) although it does happen and I'm sure a few have left the factory cross threaded or stripped out (They've produced millions, what do ya expect?). I've never seen it and I've installed, removed, re-installed, removed, etc etc more than a few scope bases on 10/22's. Ya also can't blame a weight increase on Ruger. Ya want ta gripe on how heavy the folder was bash on butler creek, leave the 10/22 outta it.

Ruger is hands down the best semi-auto .22lr for those on a budget. Reliable as a brick and reasonably accurate. Best magazine design in the business. What ya ain't gonna get is great finish, great stocks, great sights, etc etc. But hey, they're $200 not $300, not $400, Not $500. Expectations have to be kept in check.

After years of trying different long guns for packin I've come to one conclusion: Pack a pistol.

As for caliber, there is definitely a void in the power department here in the U.S. Not sayin the .22lr is bad (have often "packed" one myself), not saying the .22M isn't better (marginally), but gun buyers here are always looking for the biggest and baddest which means that many great cartridges fall by the wayside. .32 long, .32 H&R, .32-20 and .327F (yet to be determined) name a few. The .32's definitely fall prey to "magnumitis".

In short, if you want long gun capabilities live with the added weight and bulk. If you want packable carry a short gun. If you want something for small game up to deer and SD/HD look into a .357, short gun or lever action. Either will run anything from cat sneeze small game loads to full blow deer slayin magnums all in one gun. Just wanting something to fill the pot with meat? A .22lr is fine.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Chuck pretty much nailed it. There is no common problem with the base mounting screws stripping (pretty rare actually) although it does happen and I'm sure a few have left the factory cross threaded or stripped out ... Ya also can't blame a weight increase on Ruger. Ya want ta gripe on how heavy the folder was bash on butler creek, leave the 10/22 outta it.
Hey now, I've already acknowledged there are thousands of satisfied 10/22 users in the first post. And I wasn't blaming the weight increase on Ruger. Anyway, I've found my own solution. Will post some pics when I (eventially) get it off order :)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've had 2-3 10-22's over the years and they've all been traded or farmed out to kids. They are reliable and accurate but I'm not a 'bolt on' guy and the 10-22's stock and trigger don't suit me at all. I've always preferred the basic Marlin 60 and I shoot significantly better with them.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Sarge wrote:I've had 2-3 10-22's over the years and they've all been traded or farmed out to kids. They are reliable and accurate but I'm not a 'bolt on' guy and the 10-22's stock and trigger don't suit me at all. I've always preferred the basic Marlin 60 and I shoot significantly better with them.

Yep, I have to agree, the Marlin 60 and Marlin 795 are far superior to the 10/22.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The first 22 I seriously messed with as a kid was a 10/22. I never liked the blocky carbine stock and the 50 yd accuracy did not impress me. To be fair, it had a K-Mart branded scope on it.

I lobbied for a 77/22 and got one for Christmas. I bought a Burris mini-scope for it and shot it a lot. The bolt gun is more accurate and has a better stock. My only criticisms are the trigger was heavy and the barrel a bit light regarding balance. I put a Dayton-Traister trigger in it about ten yrs ago and fell in love with it again. It has been my only 22 rifle for over 25 years, although I have been tempted by others.

I shot a friend's 10/22T and liked it. My Dad has a Wal-Mart 10/22 rifle with a SS 22 inch barrel and a slim rifle stock. I like his a lot.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If you want more power than the 22LR for versatility, I would recommend a carbine that fires revolver cartridges. Anything 357 and up would be my pick. I have a 1894 Marlin 44 Mag. With proper loads and range limitations, I'm good from mice to moose.

A trapper length 1892 Win (or clone) or a 1894 Marlin may be what you want or need. There are also old Remington pumps in 44, 38, 32 and 25-20 WCF.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Admittedly, I have not read every post here in detail, but I was struck by one that said, to paraphrase, "the 10-22's still be best for those on a budget. It's $200, not $300, $400..." I'm not one with any issues with my older 10-22 and actuallly quite like it (with.a gen-u-wine walnut stock so delightlfully close to the original GI M1 carbine's quality, you have to look twice - "oh, it's missing the sling slot--that's it!" Ah, the days of yore.)...and I am on a budget...

BUT, out of curiosity and thinking optimistically ahead, what are we talking in terms of the better, more exensive semi-auto .22s "not on a (low) 'budget'"? -- caveat: that have "support" - mags, parts, service, especially in a carbine format. ...OR, would you just super tune a 10-22 for whatever money we're talking to make it that "better." gun (obviously a lot of folks make it a hobby of doing just that).
I'm just not that familiar with "high end" semi-auto .22s.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

gak wrote: I'm just not that familiar with "high end" semi-auto .22s.
Neither am I. I know CZ makes a semi auto, so does TC last time I checked. There's also the pre built, upgraded 10/22s from Volquartsen and Magnum Research. How any of them stack up against a 10/22 with an equal value in upgrades is outta my realm.