Camillus camp knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Camillus camp knife

Post by Old Savage »

Recently received this knife from 336bl as a kind gift, 336bl - what can you tell us about the steel used in Camillus pocket knives?

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Camillus camp knife

Post by Cliff »

All I know it is stainless steel and seems to hold a good edge. I am not familar with cutlery stainless steels. I have had a number of these knives and always liked them. Too bad Camillus decided to discontinue them. Wish had a dozen more of them. Good luck on your search for what type of steel it is.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought that Camillus was "discontinued", i.e. had shut down but there is a web site. :?:

Those military 4-"blade" pocket knives are good knives with a good reputation. As you know, they are stamped with the year of manufacture. I'm not certain of the steel used but it seems to be a "cut" above 440.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is 1987.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Still have mine. Quality steel, easy to sharpen. Nice find.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Camillus is essentially a new company with the old name. High end quality on the one I bought. Made overseas.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

i'm not sure what grade of stainless steel that Camillus Cutlery used...but i have friends that have knives that they received in the military that goes back to 1967 and still carry and use them (i can call someone to find out more)...i also gave this style of Camillus knife to a young Navy SeaBee when he, his unit, and the Marines that he was assigned to invaded Iraq...all i know is that many wanted one and that he had a hard time hanging onto it...he says it's a cherished possession, especially since he did 2 tours in Iraq and recently returned from Afghanistan (he's not married so he keeps volunteering)...

i thought that Old Savage went to hell and back recently and deserved one of these, especially since i knew in advance that he liked the Camillus brand...i carry one all the time...old school... :)

side-note: i grew up in Camillus, NY and we could get those knives for $7.00 each, i had a neighbor who had a relative that worked at the factory--employee discount...Camillus closed in 2007...someone is importing from China using the old name...sad... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Those were popular back in my Army days. Cheap but good - many guys had one in their pack.

Nice!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The USAF issued a knife that was identical. They were in the survival gear on some aircraft. Seems some of the mechanic types had them as well (may be not issued, but obtained). I had one for years, and figure it's still around here somewhere. It will likely show up one day when I'm not looking for it.

As I recall, the blade was stainless, but somewhat "soft" when compared to ferrous knife blades of the day. I figure not rusting away was more important than having to resharpen it from time to time. I can state without fear that the most often used "blade" was the bottle opener. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I picked up mine from the supply room while serving in the army. Camilus uses surgical steel. It is very easy to sharpen but doesnt hold an edge as long as carbon steel.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well 336bl, not quite back, last week the stainless steel plate in the left arm snapped and another surgery is required - so we shall see. ?????

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a new Camillus along with a 60s vintage Model 51

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I picked up mine from the supply room while serving in the army. Camilus uses surgical steel. It is very easy to sharpen but doesnt hold an edge as long as carbon steel.
Surgical steel usually refers to 440C steel, which holds a good edge, but is hard to sharpen. Most knifemakers used 440A or 440B or even 420 since is was easier to sharpen. For example, the kitchen knife maker Cutco used 440A due to its semi-decent edge holding and its great rust resistance. Gerber and Buck have used 420 for years due to its great rust resistance and ease of resharpening. The only Camillus I ever bought was one of the ones with the lever on the side which you pushed and it opened the blade by gears in the handle. It had AUS8 steel in it. Comparable to 420 steel. I have left it on the shelf for several years as it would not hold an edge at all, and instead I carry a Swiss Army knife. The 12c27 steel in them holds a much better edge. I try to stay with stainless knives due to the fact that I have a naturally acidic body pH and tend to rust any steel that is in a pocket or on me. I do have some fixed blade knives of other steels, and the one I like best is S30V, and the next best is 154CM.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I bought this 68 dated one at the big PX in Ben Hoa returning from R&R.... Couldn’t find one up in our AO... Retired it several years ago... but she’s still handy in the thingy we keep our pencils & such in on our table...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mine is a 1960...

I've found the blade to be very "soft" compared to my favorite knives, BUT you CAN hone an edge on it with a hunk of granite.

IMO/IMEX if you are the kind of "sharp knife nut" I am, you will burn out the blade really quickly.

Mine is normally parked in the Knife Collection Drawer.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

This conversation sparked some of my recall. Back when Operation Desert Storm was starting up, the place I worked had a number of reservist called up to go visit there. Everyone was asked to make up some care packages. I donated about four of my Camilus knives to them, along with a pair of combat boot laces to hold on to them. They were well received and used. Unfortunately they didn't come home with the troops. Seemed everyone was given or traded when these guys rotated back stateside. Worth the effort. Now as I cannot get these knives I found some of the Swiss knives are well received. A boot lace through the bail, keeps them from getting lost and will replace a broken lace quite nicely. ATB
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

In Desert Storm, I was issued an orange Camilus switchblade that had a 2nd blade that was a hook designed for cutting parachute line. That knife was awesome. It ticked me off cause when we were clearing customs the MPs were being a bunch of RICHARDS and were adament about ensuring not one of us made it out of there with one of those knifes. I seen one of my buddies drop his knife in the amnesty box and one of the MPS quickly grabbed it dropping it into his pocket. I seen another MP eyeing mine as I got closer to the amnesty box. I loved seeing the look on his face as I pressed the swith that popped the blade open and then snapped the blade off on the frame of the amnesty box. To this day, I still dont like MPs.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think that if you check all Federal Regulations, Uniformed Soldiers are not prohibited from carrying switchblade knives. I had a couple of times when Mud Puppies had the opportunity to be jerks. I don't like them much either. Back on to the topic, a good pocket knife or multi-tool such as Tim Leatherman's company makes is sure handy for a soldier. I sent my younger brother a Leatherman tool when he was deployed to Mesopotamia, and he really liked having one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Savage wrote:Well 336bl, not quite back, last week the stainless steel plate in the left arm snapped and another surgery is required - so we shall see. ?????
wow---hate to hear that...will keep you in my prayers...but i do like your attitude... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a Victornox Swiss Army I have had for many years with aluminum scales.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I must have lost at least three of the fine old Camillus Boy Scout knives. Ha, we used to wear them to school on uniform days. What's that tell you about the current sorry state of these United States?