When you shoot black powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

When you shoot black powder

Post by perry owens »

in full-house loads, as I was doing today, you get to appreciate why, in old-time gunfights, a lot of ammo expenditure resulted in not much damage...
Couldn't see a darned thing most of the time.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: When you shoot black powder

Post by spaceman spiff »

hard to hit what one can't see.... cool pic 8)
I like the smoke trail from the spent cartridge 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's the reason I gave up with my double barrel, couldn't tell if I needed the second shot!.. :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I shoot BP in Cowboy Action competition..........10 rounds Pistol, 10 rounds Rifle, 4 rounds ShotGun......After about 8 rounds, if the wind isn't blowing, you can't see the targets and you just point and pull the trigger.......Great fun!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kewl picture
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Great image. Black powder can be fun but here in my area most shooters use the subsitute H777 for their muzzleloading applications. You still get a big cloud of smoke.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nothing like true black! 8) :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Great fun for sure! :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

YK, you're right, just nothing like the real thing. I shoot Goex ffg in SASS and it's a hoot. Perry, was that early in the morning? Early and no wind makes for a really slow stage.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What powder are you shooting, that's an awful lot of smoke for most quality bp's. Looks more like the smoke from one of the fakes..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yes. You definitely need superior tactics: Sun at your back, wind off the yardarn!

Don, after the 8th or 9th rapid fire shot from a repeater, and the "right" lighting, that could definitely be me. And, I only use Goex. The above pic is only after about 4 shots fron the sixgun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Grif I've seen smoke hang in front of the firing line on a really calm humid and cool day, but usually nothing that meets the description given by CAS shooters.
Remember I shoot among folks that are torching off anywhere from 60-120 grs of powder at one time. I've seen powder smoke. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also think photography plays a oart in the effect. Range design also, a lot of CAS ranges have their stages shot in a 35-50 yard "box" with 10-15' high walls. It can be a factor. An open faced range doesn't have the same "containment" issue! :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

The load was 80 grains of Swiss FG in a Magtech brass 12g shell. The range is the old gunnery zero range on an abandoned WW2 bomber base. A sunny day after a night of heavy rain - no wind.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup that heavy air will sure hold the smoke. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cool picture Perry 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

It was useful in battle sometimes. One story I read was during the Spanish American War most of the units were still armed with the Trapdoor Springfields shooting black powder loads. They were also used to lay down smoke screens with good weather conditions to hide movements from the enemy units. I guess a hundred or more rifles loaded with Black can make a good cover. I have loaded Black Powder in paper hulls and used them in practice sessions at area trap shots, during the week and in the evenings. I usually asked the other shooters if they would mind me doing this and usually they agreed to it and did appreciate the special effects. Usually after a couple of rounds, the shooting really slowed down, as lighting after dark, reflected off the smoke and obsured the clay birds. Good times. ATB
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

game keeper wrote:That's the reason I gave up with my double barrel, couldn't tell if I needed the second shot!.. :lol:

That's the reason I went to a 10 gauge coach gun for Cowboy shooting.
Makes hitting the second and forth targets a bit easier. You only have to "Sorta aim".

:D
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I have a target bullet trap inside my 60 by 60 foot shop building...I occasionally shoot my .38-55 or Colt 45 rifles INSIDE the shop using Goex 2F black as propellant and in three shots the smoke detector goes off..And the Stink!! I am amused in considering the scenario of a couple cowboys blazing away with six guns in a tiny frontier saloon..Musta had everybody running for the door for a breath of fresh air.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think it was Elmer Keith that wrote that after the first few rounds fired in an indoor gunfight, the smoke would be thick enough it was hard to see. If one got down low, you could see under most of it.

I believe he also said that the first shot would often put the kerosene lamps out from concussion, putting the place in darkness if nightime.

Edit: Funny, we were writing at the same time.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The opening barrage of the battle at Gettysburg had the same affect. The south opened fire and soon the field was covered in smoke, obscuring the vision of the gunners. Little did they know their shots were going over the guns of the north instead of knocking them out. That left the south very out in the open when Picketts charge started and well, the rest is history
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot