Colt 1903 Pocket 32

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Colt 1903 Pocket 32

Post by pwl44m »

Did a little Horsetrading yesterday. I had a 75 Chevy PU that I have been trying to sell on Craigs List. I put in the ad that I would trade for Guns or related items.
A Guy calls and says He has a Chest Freezer full of Reloading stuff that He inherited from His Uncle I told Him to bring it and We could hash it out. Nothing special - a Mec Grabber for 12 ga in nice shape, an RCBS Rock Chucker New Old in the box, 15 sets of dies (none of which I will use) :wink:, about 16 pounds of new powder (mostly Shotgun), a lot Brass in diff calibers,about 3000 primers (rifle,pistol and Shotgun) some old and some new, basically everything U need to reload. That wasn't quite enough to make the deal so He brings out this Colt. It's a nice little Gun but nothing special.
My aim was to trade for items that I could move and get what I was asking for the Truck and maybe a little more. It will take a little work but I think I can pull it off. I will try to get a list together and offer some stuff here if Anyone is interested. All the Dies are RCBS save for 2 which are older Pacific. Some of the dies look to have never been used.
Enough of that, on with the Pistol, here are a couple pics for Your veiwing Pleasure (if U like Guns that is). As You can see by this and My past aquisitions I am not particular about "what" it is as much as "that" it is. The Mindset of a Gun Nut don't Ya know.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Colt 1903 Pocket 32

Post by mergus »

I think you done good! To me, that pistol is in the perfect condition, complete, non cracked grips, with a patina that would encourage continued usage of the gun.

Mergus

Committed Colt fanatic and fan of old guns.....
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sounds like a deal to me. I love those 1903s. I really regret trading mine away.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad has a couple of those. Great little pistols.

Sounds like a fun trade. I once traded an old boat for a Walther PPK.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

2ndovc wrote:My dad has a couple of those. Great little pistols.

Sounds like a fun trade. I once traded an old boat for a Walther PPK.

jb 8)
I've got an Old Boat ! Wanna Trade ? :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice Perry. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

My Hammerless was made in 1908. I cary it as a SD gun occasionally. Reliable as all getout.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote:I love those 1903s. I really regret trading mine away.
I feel your pain! I had several at one time and let them slip away. :roll: :cry:

I suppose I should be on the lookout for an affordable one again...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great-looking pistol
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

awp101 wrote:
damienph wrote:I love those 1903s. I really regret trading mine away.
I feel your pain! I had several at one time and let them slip away. :roll: :cry:

I suppose I should be on the lookout for an affordable one again...
What's really painful is I had the Colt, a CZ50 (no import marks) and an Armi Galesi (also no import marks). At the time I wasn't really all that enthused over .32ACP so I decided to trade two and keep one. I kept the Galesi because it has a spare magazine and an issue leather holster. As it turns out, it is also the least desirable and valuable of the three.

It is fairly accurate but I wish that I would have kept the Colt instead, or even the CZ50.

1954 Armi Galesi Model 9 - 7.65 Browning/.32ACP
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Good afternoon to you all,

Nice find Perry!!
I inhereted one about 12 years ago from my Father in law.
(He took it in trade for a water pump job on a 37 Plymouth, in 1946.)
There's lots of information on the internet to determine what variation it is, age etc.
Have to agree with what has been said here about the weapons being reliable. The craftsmanship on the little pistols is excellent.
They are sweet to shoot, and really are nice as a carry weapon. (I do think people had bigger pockets back then though :lol: )

Happy shootin to ya,
OkR
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

sounds like a great trade, and a nice pistol to boot, I like them kind of deals

OK is there any 300 H&H things in that box of goodies

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So Who all made these or rather how many vriations ? I've done a little checking on GB and I see one that says Browning patent on the left side, Mine just says patented. Now I will have to get some ammo. I used to give all that I came accross to My Brother. I think I might have 1 box somewhere.
Does anyone have handy reference as to when it was made, ser # 272715. Blue Book doesn't list these. Seems to be a few of them around. And some that a few wishhed they had kept.
Ollogger- nuthin 300 H&H but there is some 375 H&H brass and dies.
While I have some ears, there is a bag of Lead Boolits marked "miked at 460" what would those be?
I will see about separating this stuff and get some pics up. There is a Cute little lead pot with a Cute little dipper.
Perry
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pwl44m wrote:there is a bag of Lead Boolits marked "miked at 460" what would those be
I would think that they would be for .45-70 or similar since they are typically sized .458" or .459"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Cool 8) 8) 8)

Color me green :mrgreen:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Good evening to ya all,

Perry, by the information I have, #272715 was produced in 1918, a year before mine (its around the #318XXX). There were 4 varations, your is the second. The real "hotdog" model was the military version, they can sell for well over $1000.00 in the right condition.

As an aside, haven't found a aftermarket magazine worth buying for the pistol. Only the real thing will function in my pistol.

Happy shootin to ya Perry.
OkR
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Sorry Perry, I mis-spoke, yours is the third variation (made from 1910 to 1926).

This webpage has a lot of information about your pistol, including a downloadable PDF of the owners manual.

http://www.coltautos.com/ModelMci.htm

Happy shootin to ya,
OkR
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Colt/FN 1903 and 1908 are some of the most 'cloned' pistols in the world, they're a simple design easy to mass produce.

A lot of little Belgian and Spanish companies made copies from WW1 to WW2. They also served in a lot of armies.