Archery Season Deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Archery Season Deer

Post by 86er »

Some of you won't appreciate this little buck, but this may be the hardest deer I've ever been privileged to take. Our little 97 acres is peculiar. We dont have a lot of deer and they're hard to get a look at. They wont come to feeders as we have a few and cameras show maybe one or two deer photos for the whole year. This summer I scouted for an intersection of different cover and signs of old activity. I cut a notch in the woods and tucked a ladder stand where an open field makes a peninsula, a wide creekbed is 100 yards south and a light woodlot is in front. I also cut a false notch to route the animals and I made a mock scrape with Code Blue Scrape Reaper. My camera showed a fawn on Sept 22 and a small buck on Oct 2nd and none since. On Sept 29th (opening day) it was raining but I sat out there and saw one doe over 50 yards away. I then sat there every morning Sept 30th - Oct 4th without seeing anything. Oct 5th I shot four hogs and Oct 6th I shot another one. Then on Oct 7th I saw two does at 25 yds but had a mechanical failure with my equipment that caused a miss. Oct 8th, 10th, 13th, 15th, 18th, 19th and 20th and 23rd gave me a nice view of a bobcat not 25 feet away one day and nothing more. Then on Oct 24rd, I saw 3 deer cross the open field over 100 yards away. I got fatigued standing on my 16" X 9" platform at 18 ft high, so I sat down. Sure enough, two bucks strolled in right under me. I got busted trying to stand up and that was that. Then, Oct 25th and 26 nothing showed. Oct 27th I saw a skunk just a few feet away that sprayed nearby and stunk up the area. I left the stand at 9:30 for my sons birthday party (both of them). When the party was over, I headed back out and got in the tree at 5PM. At 5:35 I saw a doe and spike in the open field. I used the Lil Can call to coax the spike to 70 yds but he got bored and moved off. I sat down for a few minutes and thought I better stand up and be ready. When I stood up and looked down right in from of me a buck was scratching my mock scrape with his hoof. By the time I reached for the bow he moved off away from me and I couldnt see him. I quickly got out the Lil Can and gave to short Whahhhs. The buck turned left and was on a trail on the other side of the wood patch 30 yards from me. There was one window I remembered from seeing the hogs. It is a 12" X 12" diamond shaped opening. I put the 30 yds pin in the the diamond and when the buck stepped in I released the arrow with a prayer that it would get there. The buck did a 180 and I heard a Whack. After just 7 minutes of waiting I looked for the arrow and found a pass-through was made with solid organ blood on it. Although there was no blood trail, I found the buck just 25 yards down the trail he ran on. After 19 days in the tree in just less than one month I am thankful and relieved. While this is not some huge buck, he is a good one for our property and a real trophy to me based on what I put into finally getting him.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Archery Season Deer

Post by FWiedner »

That's about the size of 90% of the white-tails in N. Texas, LOL.

He's a good looking deer, Joe.

Congratulations! Glad your perseverance paid off.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well done Joe :mrgreen:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

He looks like he'll eat well! Congratulations. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Joe, I went through a period were big bucks were what I wanted but as I age and I have less hunting time and areas I am thankful for every deer I get and count them has a blessing from the Lord. Any deer with a bow is a trophy to me. You did well!
I went squirrel hunting out back yesterday, we have been hearing the neighbors 22 hornet and its not for varmits. Seems like CT wardens are part time the last few years. Sad to say no sign and 4 tree stands later a buck like yours would be very nice come rifle season. I haven't bought my archery lic in CT this year money is a little tight and time tighter. I still shoot the bow three to four times a week though and could still be dangerous :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats Joe

backstraps on the bbq! :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

EdinCT wrote:... I am thankful for every deer I get and count them has a blessing from the Lord. Any deer with a bow is a trophy to me. You did well!
+1! :mrgreen: ImageImage
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks like a fair sized n'. Good for you Joe.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Well done sir, a real trophy is earned. Had it come easy...what value then?
:wink:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice one, congrats 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

What's not to appreciate? Nice deer, good job!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Any deer taken with a bow is a good one in my book. Congrats Joe!
NRA Life Member