Screw Politic(s)(ians)... Feel-Good Guns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Screw Politic(s)(ians)... Feel-Good Guns...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Some guns just "feel" better than others. They may or may not work or look as good as (or better than) some, but when held, they simply become an extension of your body (hopefully not a part you need a pill to keep working)...

My 1892s are like that, as is my 1911 and my 1858. So was my FA Casull. Setting them down in the woods, even to take up another Tool is like removing an arm.

I never got that vibe from my HighPower, Glock, P85, GP100, or even my current CCWs, SP101 & NAA Guardian.

In Riot Defense Tools, I never got comfortable with an AR, AK FAL or M14, but a Garand and the G3/HK91 just "fit".

Neither my Savage 99 nor my 1895 GS is as "comfortable" as the 11lb monster I call Erma - even though with the Para stock and German engineering she has the ergonomics of a block of C4...

Anyway, all other considerations aside, what gun(s) could be surgically attached to you and you might not notice it happened untill they were taken away?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Screw Politic(s)(ians)... Feel-Good Guns...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Quite a few of my guns feel good in the hand or on the shoulder... AK's feel fine to me. I like their heads-up sights. Leverguns in general - including my 1895 Winny. My Glock 20SF feels good but probably because it's a 10mm and holds 15 of them, so I feel very well armed with it.

My single action Rugers are probably the most comfortable handguns to shoot due to the plowhandle grips.

Rem 870's fit me very well and feel good when shooting too - they are condusive to proper form for me.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Model 94 winchester fits that description.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My 1911 feels like it's part of my right hand. Strangely enough, so have the S&W M&P 9's that I've been checking out lately. S&W really did a fine job making this pistol feel "right", at least to me. My dad's Remington 700 fits perfectly on my shoulder. My eye always falls in line with the scope just right each and every time. My Marlin 336 30-30 is another that fits me perfectly as does my Garand. I have a Browning Auto-5 that also points like a natural extension of my arm/eye. I seldom miss the clays with that one.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

1911's and pistol grip Marlin leverguns.
NRA Life Member
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My Model 58 with the service stocks fits that description.
It also feels oh-so right in a Simply Rugged pancake holster riding on my hip.

Eric
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have recently bought a CZ 452 magnum and it's taking a while to feel comfortable with a bolt action :oops: but when I pick up my 9422 it just seems so right... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Agree on the Model 92. and 1911. My XDs are good that way too. And my norinco 870 clone with rifle sights and AR type stock. It just feels good. Same with my GS.

My 10" superblackhawk was like that too and made a lot of meat for us.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Win 94, 1911 Colt Auto. 18" barrelled Rem 870.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Forgot the Keltec PM9 :oops:
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

As I was reading your post, my Ruger 44 carbine (first version) came to mind. It is my favorite woods gun and I love to still hunt with it for deer. The grip is worn absolutely to a high gloss from the countless hours I have stalked through the Missouri Ozarks with it in my hand.
I have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt that I did a home round butt job on. It feels like it grew as part of my hand.
The Marlin 336 made in 58 feels just right as well.

Kevin
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All these feel to me just like they're made to carry and shoot:
  • 16" Rossi 92's, of all compact-leverguns
    20" Marlin 1894's, of all mid-size leverguns
    Ruger .375 Alaskan, of all bolt-guns
    M1-Garand (for some reason not quite the M1-A)
    Wide-body 1911's (but not the regular ones)
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley 7-1/2"
    Ruger Redhawk 7-1/2"
    Ruger Single-Six 5-1/2"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have to agree that some are just right. Handgun wise, no surprise, it's the 1911 or Smith 1917. Rifle wise, interestingly enough, the Nylon 66 really works for me. And when it comes to shotguns, well the only southpaw one I've ever used, so the lefty 870.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hands down my Ruger old model Vaquero 44 and either a Win. 94 or my Marlin 95 Cowboy.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Jeepnik said a S&W 1917.
I have a Brazillian Navy S&W 1917 that was brought back into the country in pretty bad shape.
So I did some work on it, put a 6" bull barrel on it, put a BoMar rib on top of it.
Feed it full moon clips, makes me feel " secure "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

M 92 and the M 24 S&W

But OI - one of the top guns I fhave seen here is that 92 you had Nate/Steve do - a pic?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

These come quickly to mind:
-Win 94 20" .30-30
-Rossi 92 20" SRC .44M
-M1 Carbine
-Colt SAA/USFA/Cim' P .44 Sp's
-Re-grip'd New Vaquero .44 Sp.
-SS Vaquerito .32 H&R Mag (and predecessor SS adj sight .32)
Last edited by gak on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Surprised to see nobody, including myself :oops: mention the colt 1851/1873, same grip. With that said, I still prefer the fit of the 1911 .45 auto, even if the Glock is the superior handgun.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

tman wrote:Surprised to see nobody, including myself :oops: mention the colt 1851/1873, same grip. With that said, I still prefer the fit of the 1911 .45 auto, even if the Glock is the superior handgun.
Hey, I did :) (actually pretty simultaneous with you!)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have NEVER shot a Glock.
It is hard for me to concieve that it is a superior handgun.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Krieghoff K32 skeet gun
SKB o/u that was fitted to me
Glock 19 (sorry, but I've got years of carrying it, and a bunch of rounds through it)
Remington 700 243 and 30-06
Rossi 92
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Ted H beat me to it. A 1911 and a pistol grip stocked Marlin 1895 (thank you guys!).

When I went over to "the dark side" with my first polymer pistol a couple years back I fell in love with Springfield's XDM. That's because the XDM grip angle was intentionally designed to mimic the 1911 grip angle.

Whoa ! Almost forgot. My 1990's Blackhawk .45 Colt is a honey of the first order. Just feels so darn good in the hand. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mini-14
M1 Carbine
Remington 1900 Double 12
2.75" Security Six with Hogue Mono Grip
6.5" Ruger Flat Top 44
Winchester 94
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Mescalero wrote:I have NEVER shot a Glock.
IT took me a long time to admit it, the Glock shoots everything ,everytime, no matter how hard you abuse it. The colt 45 still feels better in my hand, but the Glock is the pistol that all others try to imulate, but can't. Gotto try it for yourself. Never bought into their hype, till I bought a 27 and found out for myself.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Any of my pre 1920 Winchesters work the best for me, but I think some of it has to do with the history
behind the gun, like the 32WS made in 1911, that spent 50 years in the hands of Mexican
sheep herders, it aint much to look at, but it talks to me with all the wear & tear that gun has on it
and yes I shoot, hand gun is a ruger vaq. in 45

ollogger
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

gak wrote:
tman wrote:Surprised to see nobody, including myself :oops: mention the colt 1851/1873, same grip. With that said, I still prefer the fit of the 1911 .45 auto, even if the Glock is the superior handgun.
Hey, I did :) (actually pretty simultaneous with you!)
MY appologies :oops:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

With rifles it's all about their balance point and how they come to the shoulder. Slim profiles that can be held in curled fingers with thumb over the top of the action. Winchester 94s, 1892s and 1873s are perfect. The 1886 is also quite comfortable, even if a handfull. My Hawken, Sharps and the new 1885 Winchester also fit this criteria. Some rifles, those with "fat" receivers or scopes feel best when carried in a two handed hold across the chest, such as my Garand, Remington 700 or the Marlin 375. Most Marlins don't meet that "balance" in a comfortable spot; that lever pivot is right between my little and ring fingers. My "project 1894" with it's 17" octagon barrel balances just forward of that. As I suspect other Marlins in the "Cowboy" series do. (Update on the project coming soon).

I like doubles that can be carried draped open, over the forearm. Two shells in the chambers, then it's a matter of how I can bring the left hand up, closing the action while raising the right firearm and sliding the right hand back to the wrist. All my doubles seem to do this equally well. From my Riverside Arms, Stoegers, the TTN clone of the Colt 1878, and yes Sixgun, even Sam Holt antique! :P :lol:

Handguns are all about the ergonomics in the hand. Colts with the 1851/SAA grips are perfect just as they come from the factory. The Remingtons, 1858, 1875 or 1890 just don't point or facilitate weakhand cockimg for me, so those moved down thhe road. I carried S&W mdls 10, 19 & 65, but the factory square butts never were big enough, so my 65 wears a Pachmyer large. It fills the hand without being uncomfortable and I can still reach the controls! 1911s and the -A1 versions are both great, but I need an extended slide & mag releases for one-handed operation. Tho' most of mine don't! Trained in two-handed manipulation, and I believe in stickin' to my training! Tho' I sure wish JMB had put the mag release on the right side!

That's the long and short views from my saddle! :o :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My nighthawk 1911
My Osborne shotgun in 12 bore
My flintlock in 54 cal
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Win. 94, 92
Ruger Bisley
Marlin 39A
Ruger shorty (3 3/4") old model Vaquero
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Not my favorite but what I was most comfortable with and shot tens of thousands of rounds through was a H&K MP5. What an easy and fun machine gun to shoot.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I seem to have noticed a couple expert shooters, with dozens of rifles, tons of knowledge, end up customizing a Marlin 1894 and that's all they shoot.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Colt model P with Frontier Six Shooter on it's 4 3/4 inch barrel. I like this so much that I have 3 of them and a couple more clones. 73 Winchester in 44 WCF, pistol grip and 24 inch barrel. Still looking for the perfect double barrel shotgun. Currently shooting a Baretta sxs that I have tried to loosen up but it is still too stiff. I have an old Ithica with very long barrels that I haven't had the heart to cut off. Yet. It may be the one.

The 1911 is still very comforting even though I retired from being a reserve deputy many years ago. Shot IPSC for many years so became very comfortable with it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Knowing there's no such thing as true perfect this side of Heaven;
This 1907 Parker VH 16 ga. 0 frame weighing in at 5.11 lbs. is darn close. :D

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:With rifles it's all about their balance point and how they come to the shoulder. Slim profiles that can be held in curled fingers with thumb over the top of the action. ...
I didn't mention my Drilling because it's so "non-standard"... being a pair of short chambered 16ga over the euro version of the .38-55 (9.3x72R)

But that gun shoulders & points like no other gun I have. period. It may as well be Bespoke.

BUT... except when actively shooting it, it's not "comfortable" in the way my 1911/1858/1892/HK91 are...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

91s seem to bruise my cheek, my cheek bone comes right against that camel back. I have owned several and they have moved on.
1851s definately have that feel good feel, though i don't own any currently, same with Colt saa in a variety of barrel lengths. THAT feel good feel is critical to whether the gun stays or not. Like a few of you, the garands have that feel too as do many leverguns. nice thread OI
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:91s seem to bruise my cheek, my cheek bone comes right against that camel back.
Agreed, if you use the stock stock. But with the A3/Para stock it's not as bad - especially if you swap for the heavy buffer - which you should do anyway with the para... My stock stock & buffer are in a closet somewhere.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

1892's, 1911's, N frame Smith & Wesson's, Grandpa's 1903 sporter, Bowen/ Ruger SBH and my '95 SRC.
I shoot my Glock 19 really well but it's just not my 1911!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've already weighed in with my list, but of ones I don't have--but wish I did (but have experienced)--two stand out:
- Pre War .30WCF Win 94 round barreled rifle--24"?--so much so that it always at or near the top of my "if you could only have one rifle" (think stranded in the wilderness) list. The apparently more prevalent octagonal gets all the print, but with the smallish bore the round barrel has plenty steadying heft by itself, while shaving un-needed weight for cross country trekking.
- Win 94 XTR 7-30 Waters - also 24" I think..otherwise "Carbine" features (both banded forend and front barrel/tube). It's the gun that speaks to me the most, though The 7-30 chambering is a delight and is one of those great rounds that just didn't find its spot (other than with Contenders). A shame - a flatter shooting .30-30. I don't know if this exact configuration of the 94's XTR era (characterized by AE but still pre safety) came in .30-30 or not--if so I haven't seen one, but regardless of chambering this gun also makes that "one rifle only" short list for the same reasons as the first listed above, plus the ability to better accept glass.

The above two guns are both well-kept secrets, their octagonal and carbine stablemates getting more attention over the years. I've experienced both (a friend's). They have that uncanny, hard-to-describe "just rightness" about the feel and balance I think the OP is driving at. As close to "perfect" as I've come across. Their do-nearly-everything-well utility is icing on the cake.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Rossi trapper in 44 mag and an early security six, I also like my super Blackhawk but I have to shoot the blackwawk. the security six will shoot itself. My 20" rossi in 357 comes close to the trapper.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

For me it is an N frame smith and wesson with Target grips. Fit perfect.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Here are my "Feel-Good" guns - :)

S&W 3" round butt Model 13 w/Tyler T grip (no revolver fits me better)
S&W 6" Model 28 with magna grips and Tyler T Grip (a real shooter)
Full size 1911 .45acp with combat sights, arched mainspring housing and Colt ambi-safety (an old friend)
1100 Remington left hand 12 gauge (love it)
870 Wingmaster 20 gauge (with left hand fire controls)
Ruger 10/22 (wouldn't ever be without one)
Early 50's Model 94 Win. .32WS (sweet)
Marlin 336A 24 inch" rifle .30-30 w/M8 2.5 Compact Leupold (accurate & right on the money when shouldered)
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Feel-Good Gun...???"

I think I'd be happy if I owned one of these...
797px-Vulcan1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:"Feel-Good Gun...???"

797px-Vulcan1.jpg

My Truck agrees. But I'm not Arnie, so I can't personally fathom carrying a 200+lb gun+belt+external Ammo/battery pack...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

797px-Vulcan1.jpg
:shock:
Yeah, I can understand that Doc., but I worry that I'm too old to tote it very long while cruising through the woods. :oops:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, & I know RIGHT where I'd mount it. :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:My Truck agrees. But I'm not Arnie, so I can't personally fathom carrying a 200+lb gun+belt+external Ammo/battery pack...
I think this one weighs way more than that - the picture is of a 20mm cannon version... :mrgreen:
I'd settle for a 60 BMG or a 20mm version; the 50 BMG is a wimp in comparison, let alone the 'plinker' 7.62 NATO... :D

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare. ... 2&xxglbl=1

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

My feel good guns are different depending upon my mood. Recently I've got into my 24" Rossi rifle out at 200yds on 6" targets and my 1911 out to 50yds at pins. My M1a at 300yds on pins is a challenge, however, my scoped Model 88 on pins out at 300yds is a grin and my M1 Carbine at 200yds is just a hoot. If I'm into longer range precision, then I break out my G20L pistol and shoot out at 200yds offhand to feed the ego and of course my scoped AR is good at 2"x3" targets at 300yds. It all depends upon the day.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Mescalero wrote:I have NEVER shot a Glock.
The Glock is probably a superior handgun, in a utilitarian sort of way, but that is not the only way to be superior.

Different people are different, and have different preferences, of course, but I think a lot of the art has gone out of firearm design in modern times.

We see more malfunctions from 1911s in courses than any other pistol, though we would probably see more from some other pistols if they were actually used in the courses. What we see as a general trend (not a hard, fast rule), is the more expensive and custom the 1911, the more finicky it is. Cheaper 1911s tend to run better, which is to be expected, since they are usually closer to the original design and specs. On the other hand, I have seen quite a few Glock malfunctions - some traceable to ammo, some unexplained, and some infuriating, like the time both rear frame rails broke off of my Glock while I was shooting. Still Glocks are very practical pistols.

I have to say that 1911s are superior in that they were designed by an artist when firearm design and manufacture was an art. This is why I respect Glocks, shoot them very well, and feel they are a very practical modern pistol; I trust them and use them, but as a shooter I love 1911s.

I like a lot of modern firearms. It took me a bit to warm up the the M16 (no walnut, you know), but I have become very comfortable with the M4 and can use it naturally, with a lot of time both in training and combat with it.

However, when I pick up a Model 71 Winchester, it is like an extension of my body. A '95 Winchester is the same, as is the '86, '92, and '94. The 71 especially, though. Even the '76 Winchester, which many people say balances poorly, feels pretty good to me. The Marlins come in maybe just a little behind the Winchesters for me, and I prefer the older Marlins, like '93s. The Marlins with pistol grip stocks are nice. I recently got an old (English-made) Parker Hale two-band Enfield replica, and the balance is amazing. I never would have believed a heavy, long muzzle-loader like that could feel so light and well-balanced.

I think a lot has been lost in the emphasis on making firearms not just work, but work with the shooter - I don't know if we will ever see a time again when the making of firearms was such a refined art with the human element ingrained in the design, manufacture, finish, fit, and ergonomics like it was between the civil war and WWII. I think that is why I like so many firearms from this period, and have trouble getting really excited about many built since.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

7.62 - very well put.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Many of the same ones already mentioned...

Pre-war Win '94
Win '92
OM Ruger Bisley
BHP
M1 Carbine
Mini-14

Seems I'm stuck in a time warp....
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail