New Topic, Not Too Old Subject

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

New Topic, Not Too Old Subject

Post by GoatGuy »

Beautiful Fall morning here in these hardwood hills of the Arkansas Ozarks. Foliage glowing bright vivid oranges, reds and yellows, weather crisp, bright, sunny and no breeze a'blowin. Prettiest Fall I've seen here in a number of years. It's just a perfect day to reflect on the blessings of my life. Have to see some good in my part of the world since the election didn't go to suit me, don't you know.

Then, ...looked out my kitchen window just a few minutes ago. About 20 yards from the back of the house, saw a fat grey squirrel climbing up a small, about 5 inch diameter, oak tree. With a smile, thought, there's one more for the freezer. Good to know those particular woods still hold some of the critters. About the time that thought flitted through my mind, I noticed a honkin' big Red Tail hawk, sitting at the top of the tree still as a mouse. He was so big I'm surprised the tree could hold him without bending.

First thought, "that's pretty cool to watch". Second thought, "he--, that's my squirrel". Rushed to the back door, stepped out and made a loud hissing sound expecting the hawk to take fright and flight. No sir, it was so focused it didn't even flinch. Squirrel kept foolishly hop climbing up toward it's doom. Next, hollered and clapped my hands together loud like. Hawk reacting, turned his head in my direction, launched off the top of that oak and scatted pretty quick. It weaved effortlessly through the trees, then I saw him end his hasty flight and light some forty or fifty yards further in the woods on a big shag bark hickory limb. Didn't notice where the fat grey got off to. Hopefully he learned a lesson and headed somewhere a great deal safer than where he's been just seconds before.

On a further note, ... a number of decades back, I'd have first picked up the 20 gauge pump leaning up against the wall by the back door and settled the hawk's hash without a second thought. Didn't even have a thought such as that today, ...in this "enlightened" era. As I wrote in an earlier posted topic here about birds of prey, ... "By the way, fewer squirrels here abouts now, but we've got a plenty of red tail hawks. And the hawks, Bald Eagles during February and Great Horned owls also play hob on newborn kids in goat pastures. Have seen it happen, but fear of the heavy fines nowadays for defending one's property keeps me from doing anything about it."

Yes sir, all in all a great morning. Here's hoping each of you here find something about this day to make it a little brighter for you and your loved ones.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Topic, Not Too Old Subject

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for the post. i enjoyed hearing your thoughts. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have been all over the forum this morning, trying to allivate the doom and gloom members are feeling.
I hope I am having a positive impact.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

You are compadre. God bless you. You too GoatGuy. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rjohns94 wrote:thanks for the post. i enjoyed hearing your thoughts. blessings
+1 :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I was thinking of you guys today, I can feel the feeling of doom and gloom all the way over here! but then looking at our Fall colors, that are nowhere near as brilliant as yours, the woods still looked magnificent in the sun light, so yes, the world has NOT changed, just the murky world of politics has got even more murkier. So get out a smoke pole and bag a squirrel or two.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

That's good advice, GK. Will do! Hey, but a day like today here has put a smile of good cheer on my face. Might not have been that way if overcast skies and blustery winds were to be dealt with. I'm actually enjoying my day and EVEN the outside chores :lol:. Will try to get in a sneak through the squirrel woods later this afternoon with my 10-22.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Good post Goatguy. I have my place in the Missouri Ozarks, unfortunately I don't live there full time. I practically live there this time of year, but have to come home to reality during the week. Anyway, the fall colors have been spectacular up our way as well. Absolutely brilliant colors.

Last year the squirrels were gone from around our place, migrated somewhere. This year they are back, not as thick , but they are around. I love some fried squirrel.

I have noticed many hawks dead on the road, in some places every fifty yards you will see one. I have never seen this before. Hawks and owls are even thick up here in the city. Nature has ebbs and flows , as much as some people seem to think it is completely static.

Kevin