Range Report: New 1895 Marlin Cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Range Report: New 1895 Marlin Cowboy

Post by FatJackDurham »

I finally paid off my new Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70!!!!!

The seller had lost the rear sight after mounting a scope for moose hunting, so, I am considering which sight to get, a full buckhorn or one of those Smith Enterprise ladder sights on BuffaloArms.com

At 100 yards, it shot about 2 1/2 inches. I was shooting Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain FTX 45-70 Govt. Man, I forget what a violent round that is after shooting BP and cowboy loads out of my Springfield.

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report: New 1895 Marlin Cowboy

Post by pokey »

pretty nice,,,,,

[for a marlin]. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Thank you!! After starting the long range buffalo shoot at Dalton, NH, earlier this year, I had been wanting a a 45-70 levergun, but only replica's and and 336 Marlins with short mag tubes were commonly available, and I couldn't afford an 1885 replica. However, I saw this rifle listed in the Green Mountain Trading post, and found out it was an octogon barrel, full length mag tube and 45-70!!!! It is the second REAL gun I own, after my Springfield. All my other guns are "replicas", but this is a real hunting rifle, powerful and accurate!!!! Wicked DECENT!!!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice arn`t they, light and balance well, love mine.
Arn`t those bullets pointed and dangerous in a mag tube ?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Great looking rifle

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Could you explain " paid off "?
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Pitchy wrote:Nice arn`t they, light and balance well, love mine.
The point is a soft rubber tip, designed to NOT trigger the primer, but pointed to add just a little aerodynamics in flight.

I have used them in my Rossi, but my twist rate is so slow in the rossi, they didn't stabilize well, so I bagged it. However, as a hunting round in the Marlin, I think its a great feature. Slightly higher BC than a flat point or hollow point, but upon impact, the hollow space behind the rubber tip still expands. Although, I seem to recall hunters should have a through and through shot to improve a fast bleed out, but I am not a hunter.

All I know is my shoulder is sore, and this Marlin is my most accurate rifle at 100 yards. I can,t wait to bring it to the 400 yard range and see how it does....
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Mescalero wrote:Could you explain " paid off "?
Yeah, the seller agreed to take two $200 payments every two weeks, and then a $400 payoff. I took three paychecks for me to buy. I was worried I was making the wrong decision, but after shooting, I know I finally have a real asset.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

At 400 yards...

Do your reading on the .45/70 trajectory...it's not exactly like a rainbow arc but it's darn close.

I don't know if it can be termed a 'violent' round, guess it is if you're shooting the real fire-breather loadings. Even the old 'classic' rounds have proven track record on any critter in North America.

Even with the basic rounds, there's something tremendously satisfying about touching one off. Then swinging the lever open and throwing out a small cigar-sized piece of brass.

And if you're not by yourself at the range, guarantee you're gonna get the attention of those AR shooters a bench or two over!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice shoot'n....nice rifle too....
good look'n wood
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

wecsoger wrote:At 400 yards...

Do your reading on the .45/70 trajectory...it's not exactly like a rainbow arc but it's darn close.

I don't know if it can be termed a 'violent' round, guess it is if you're shooting the real fire-breather loadings. Even the old 'classic' rounds have proven track record on any critter in North America.

Even with the basic rounds, there's something tremendously satisfying about touching one off. Then swinging the lever open and throwing out a small cigar-sized piece of brass.

And if you're not by yourself at the range, guarantee you're gonna get the attention of those AR shooters a bench or two over!
You ain't kidding. I read the Wolf book on the Springfield load, but, I need to work up a separate cowboy load for the marlin.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

That's a beautiful rifle. Congratulations !

If you're shooting from the bench (I'm guessing that's what you were doing with that target) 20 rounds of even the "standard velocity" rounds out of your .45 - 70 will let you know that you've been shooting a real rifle.

I think that, like all rifles, you might just find a sweetheart load that your rifle absolutely loves. Maybe shrink your groups down even more. It is SO satisfying when that happens. :) - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a great levergun and cartridge...nice photos too...i shot the 45/70 for a while, enjoyed it, but sold it to a friend in order to pursue other leverguns and cartridges...have landed on the 30/30, in the end my favorite... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Pitchy wrote:
Pitchy - FYI the Hornady LeverEvolution pointed soft-point/soft-tipped slugs were specifically designed by Hornady for use in tubular magazine leverguns to give better ballistics ( & accuracy ? ) w/o the danger of primer setoff, possible with harder bullet noses.

IIRC, the standard Marlin magazine follower should be switched out for one LE-compatible, to avoid last round FTF's.
FatJackDurham wrote: I was shooting Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain FTX 45-70 Govt. Man, I forget what a violent round that is after shooting BP and cowboy loads out of my Springfield.
FatJack - Just think how much more that puppy would bark, if it weren't as heavy as it is, with that 9lb weight, 26" octagon bbl & full-length magazine, why Marlin (& me) first thought porting a good idea on the 6lb, 18" bbl, 2/3 mag Guide Gun.

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah, that would be pretty loud. The guide gun is a great practical gun, and I looked at it, but since the magazine only holds 4 rounds, I wanted somethiing longer. Plus, the octogon barrel is so sharp!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pete44ru wrote:
Pitchy wrote:
Pitchy - FYI the Hornady LeverEvolution pointed soft-point/soft-tipped slugs were specifically designed by Hornady for use in tubular magazine leverguns to give better ballistics ( & accuracy ? ) w/o the danger of primer setoff, possible with harder bullet noses.

IIRC, the standard Marlin magazine follower should be switched out for one LE-compatible, to avoid last round FTF's.
FatJackDurham wrote: I was shooting Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain FTX 45-70 Govt. Man, I forget what a violent round that is after shooting BP and cowboy loads out of my Springfield.
FatJack - Just think how much more that puppy would bark, if it weren't as heavy as it is, with that 9lb weight, 26" octagon bbl & full-length magazine, why Marlin (& me) first thought porting a good idea on the 6lb, 18" bbl, 2/3 mag Guide Gun.

Ok thanks, i am not familiar with them. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice when a gun shoots that good, AND looks that nice... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I have one and I like it a lot. I shot three white tail the first year. Great gun, well built.

Owen