Cold Pizza

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Cold Pizza

Post by El Chivo »

I know single men are supposed to like cold pizza for breakfast, but I don't.

However, I find it makes excellent omelet filler. I cut it into bite-sized squares, arrange them in the frying pan, then pour whipped egg in and around. Cover, flip once, it's the best.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cold Pizza

Post by DixieBoy »

Then it's not cold pizza anymore, is it ? :D - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

With microwaves, why would the pizza need to be cold?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I like cold pizza as well, I'll eat just about any cold left overs for breakfast.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Uhh, I'm eating cold pizza now. Like many foods, pizza is better the next day.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I find reheating in the microwave makes it soft and gooey. I prefer left-over pizza cold, too.
Man food!

:D
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Do not reheat in a microwave. They always make any bread product gooey.

For reheating pizza, put in in the oven, right on the rack. If you're worried about stuff falling off (oh, come on. we're guys. be serious.) then put it on a cooling rack or something else with a fine open mesh. That way the moisture from the crust can escape and it won't be soggy.

I find it makes excellent omelet filler.

Congratulations. You've just made a variant on French toast. Now with pepperoni. (grin)

Edited to add, that also sounds like a po' boy fritatta. Without all the stuffy fancified cooking words.

So saying...for those of you who live near and revere Five Guy's Burgers. All those excellent french fries they give you that you can never eat all of them? Save them. Chop them up. They make the most awesome hash browns the next day.
Last edited by wecsoger on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm not much of a "pizza for breakfast" guy, but do enjoy cold pizza for lunch. But that does sound like a promising recipe there, El Chivo. I'll have to give it a try (if the boss will let me in her kitchen :lol: )
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I always preferred cold, next day, chili - aka: The Breakfast of Champions....... :mrgreen:

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I guess I'm a more traditional guy; either hot menudo, or greasy choritzo and egg burritos. Although cold pizza does have it's mertis...

Lupie's hot truck that stopped on the corner of Alameda and Temple streets in east LA had the worlds best, bar none, choritzo and egg burritos. :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

IMO good pizza is always better fresh but the wife will sometimes grab a couple frozen pizzas while leaving work if she's really not in the mood to cook. I've yet to find a frozen pizza that isn't better the next day and cold.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Think my favorite cold-next-day is the Canadian bacon and pepperoni with pineapple although we sometimes get the white sauce garlic chicken, also awesome on day two, at 7 a.m.!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My big gut is prolly half pizza....I've never found a bad way to eat it... 8) (and, now I have a new way to try :idea: )

FWIW, the Papa Murphy crust seems to hold up good in the microwave, if you don't nuke too long..
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Think my favorite cold-next-day is the Canadian bacon and pepperoni with pineapple although we sometimes get the white sauce garlic chicken, also awesome on day two, at 7 a.m.!
Mine was BBQ chicken with extra cheese. Drizzled in BBQ sauce. Dang, ate the last piece. :(
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I find reheating in the microwave makes it soft and gooey. I prefer left-over pizza cold, too.
Man food!

:D
I heat up my pizza the morning after, in a frying pan; and a healthy serving of Grade A salted butter.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm not sure cold pizza mixed with stirred eggs really qualifies as an omlette. Does sound tasty though.

Back in my iron gut bachelor days I do not recall having any requirement that 'aged' pizza be cold.

Room temperature and 'there' was all I needed. As long as it smelled OK and nothing (visible) was growing.

I guess I haven't changed much.

I think the only rule applied now is that if SWMBO hasn't thrown it out, it must be edible... right?

:shock: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Cold pizza lover here too... However, when I want to reheat some I use a large frying pan...I can control things better than in the oven and wind up with a nice crispy crunchy crust that I love without having the topping all over the place...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

El Chivo wrote:I know single men are supposed to like cold pizza for breakfast, but I don't. However, I find it makes excellent omelet filler. I cut it into bite-sized squares, arrange them in the frying pan, then pour whipped egg in and around. Cover, flip once, it's the best.
Okonomiyaki?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That looks kinda nasty.

Yeah, I'd eat it.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nasty is good....Here's a typical concoction with eggs and whatever is lying around. Heck, it's different every single time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Like bacon, cold pizza is it's own food group. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, the previous mention of chili got to me. Took the wife out for lunch, had a chili size. Lots of cheese and grilled onions, sigh, I'm content.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why are those things called a chili size???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A chili size is an open face burger with chili poured over it.

There was a place in Flagstaff years ago (Crazy Bills Steak House) that did a really good chili size. A buddy and I would go in and get the double, thats double burger meat, and we'd get double jalapenos on it also, enough to have a jalapeno in every bite.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OS, why they are called a chili "size" is a mystery to me. But I've thought that maybe it's a bastardization of chili "side", as in a side of chili with a burger. However the name came about, it's one of man's perfect foods. Meat, bread, cheese, onions and chili. What more could one ask for. Oh, and they scream for a liberal dose of tabasco on top.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Wonder how it would go with gravy? First time I had pizza I asked the waitress for ketchup. She said no, I wasnt going to ruin that pizza! I still use ketchup on it especialy at home.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Booger Bill wrote:Wonder how it would go with gravy? First time I had pizza I asked the waitress for ketchup. She said no, I wasnt going to ruin that pizza! I still use ketchup on it especialy at home.
I hope you didn't tip her. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

El Chivo wrote: ...cut it into bite-sized squares, arrange them in the frying pan, then pour whipped egg in and around. Cover, flip once, it's the best.
Missing: Jalapenos

Otherwise, good to go!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:Why are those things called a chili size???
The story, from a early 20s book called "The Great Chili Confrontation" by H. Allen Smith, goes like this:

There used to be a 24-hour chili parlor called "Ptomaine Tommy's" in Los Angeles. It was the largest and best known chili parlor in town. Ptomaine Tommy served straight chili and a Southwestern variation, a hamburger smothered with chili. He had two ladles, a large and a small. When a customer ordered straight chili, he got the large ladle. When he wanted the other, he usually said, "Hamburger size." So Ptomaine Tommy put up one sign that said Hamburger Size 15¢ and another that said Chili Size 20¢.

That is... "hamburger size" was a hamburger with a small ladle of chili, and "chili size" was actually just a large ladle of chili. The name "size" stuck and became synonymous with the chili itself. Somehow, over time this got switched around, and the "chili size" became associated with the chili plus hamburger. And now a "chili size" is a chili burger. The term is still mostly confined to the chili joints of Los Angeles.

The moral of the story: don't buy chili from a place called "Ptomaine Tommy's".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It actually IS an L.A. thing. Back in the 1920s, there was a chili parlor called Ptomaine Tommy's and he is credited with creating the first chili burger. His beanless chili was served two ways: 1.) in a bowl with beans and other fixins; and 2.) over a hamburger, much like the chili burger we know today. He had two different sized ladles for dispensing the chili, so he hung a sign up that read, "Hamburger size: 15¢" and another sign, "Chili size: 20¢".

If someone wanted the chili burger, he'd get the hamburger size ladle; for a bowl of chili, the larger "chili size" ladle. WELL, somewhere along the way, he began serving an open-faced chili burger with the CHILI SIZE ladle so that it smothered the burger and bun with a bowlful of chili. This is how the CHILI SIZE menu item came to be.

Other restaurants began copying the new creation. I have seen menus with "Cheeseburger Size" and "Hamburger size" as well as "Chili Size" but they all seem to mean the same thing: and open-face chili burger. The biggest mystery is why people began calling chili "size," as in "Gimme a bowl of size!" I guess the two terms just became synonymous for a while.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

El Chivo wrote: There used to be a 24-hour chili parlor called "Ptomaine Tommy's" in Los Angeles. It was the largest and best known chili parlor in town...
[snip]
Thanks for the information. There are some hamburger joints here in the Central Valley, like in Fresno, that offer "Chili Size" meals. I have always wondered about the semantics involved, but then quickly forgot to research it as the stomach urgings overtook the higher reasoning parts of my brain.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, now I know. Won't change my eating habits one bit, but sometime in the future I can whip out this bit of arcane knowledge and impress my wife (yea, like that's gonna happen). :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"