Revolver question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Revolver question

Post by El Chivo »

I was test firing a couple of revolvers today. Ruger SP101 3" barrel vs. S&W Model 10 with 4" barrel. Both in 38 special.

The Ruger was loud, but not too bad, but what surprised me was the S&W seemed to have more flash and bang - it was annoying... but I expected it to be the other way around.

One of the clerks surmised it might be due to more powder burning in the 4".

The Ruger's barrel is thicker and has a rib, the S&W barrel is a plain pipe more or less. Might have been more of a cylinder gap there also.

Anybody know why the Ruger shot sweeter even with the shorter barrel?

Also, both were used guns that have been shot a lot. The Smith might be older. Accurate though.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Revolver question

Post by Griff »

Are both revolvers CHAMBERED in .38Spl. The S&W mdl 10 is only chambered in .38Spl.? The SP101 is also chambered in .357Magnum. If the SP101 is chambered in .357Mag, the larger chamber would reduce pressures and might also reduce the noise.

If it's a .38Spl chamber... well... I just don't know. :P :oops: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm thinkin' you answered your own question:
... more of a cylinder gap...
:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Every firearm made is a law unto itself. If you have not read it, please read the short article "Why Ballisticians Get Grey"

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ballisticians.htm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm not familiar with that Smith & Wesson, but the Ruger is pretty muzzle-heavy for a small gun, and that seems to make it more pleasant to shoot (not necessarily quieter though).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Might have liked shooting it better because the grip fit your hand better. Funny how one perception affects another.

The early SP101s WERE .38 special with a shorter cylinder. They were then chambered for the .357 Mag (125 gr. bullet only due to COL). THEN they were chambered for the .357 Mag with the cylinder longer to accommodate all SAAMI ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

+1 on cylinder gap.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i have owned a Ruger SP-101 in .357mag (2 1/4"bbl ) for the last eight years...i often carry it as an optional BUG or as a third gun in my "GO-Bag"...i've owned a few S&W's (Model 10, 64,65, 66, 4", 2 1/2", or 2" bbl. length) and in the end i have always gravitated back to the Ruger...mostly personal prefernce...but i would also tell you that they are built and shoot very well...I WOULD BUY THE USED SP-101... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my 2 cents worth, but get the one that fits your hand best.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have SP 101`s in .22 ,.38 and .357 , they all are great shooters and well made. :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

This SP-101 was a 38 special, it belongs to the range, but they were selling a new one in .357 with 3" barrel and so I got curious. Nice guns don't last the week there, I'll have to get it next time around.

I did find it easy to handle, I liked it better than the GP-100 or any of the Smiths I have tried. I also like the 5 round cylinder. I didn't think the recoil was too terrible, and I'm finding I don't like the heavier revolvers.

I particularly noticed the extra flash with the Smith, it wasn't the overall feel of it that was the problem, although I preferred the Ruger all around. It just surprised me because I expected the opposite - next time I'll take a better look at the cylinder gaps.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I will say the cylinder gap too. SP101's tend to have pretty tight tollerances and are built like vaults. Not that a Model 10 is weak...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Chamber dimensions including chamber mouth, gap between cylinder and forcing cone, bullet diameter all play a part, no two guns are the same. Laws unto themselves. Must admit I prefer the Colts over Ruger and S&W revolvers. Especially the pre war revolvers.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET