You Decide: 2013! My next pistol!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Taurus or 1911?

Umarex 1911!
49%
Taurus .454!
16%
I really can't help myself. Both options are equally distasteful and you should be forced to walk across salted glass for even suggesting them *while* listening to Barry Manilow. Backwards. In fact, you should walk backwards across the salted glass as well. With this fitting punishment in mind, I'd like to suggest something else below.
35%

Total votes: 37
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

You Decide: 2013! My next pistol!

Post by Panzercat »

Well, this is a tough one for me, so maybe you'd like to help bring some sanity back to this decision. I have a purchase coming up. It'll either be a 1911 or a revolver and i can't have both. The choices are:

Umarex/Regent R200 1911 5in .45ACP

I've owned a Regent before (r100 model) and have nothing bad to say about them. Neither does Gunblast, ironically. This model will only set me back $550 and I have to admit, it's pretty darn sexy for the price point. Or we could go with...

Taurus Raging Bull 2.25in .454 Casull

What's not to like? Some people malign Taurus, but I've don't hear many bad things about their Raging Bull line (the firearm blog loves it, too). I love the look and it's full of .454 goodness with the option to fire .45 long. Only issue it it will set me back substantially more-- Almost $800 after ffl fees and the like.

On one hand, the 1911 is more budget friendly and won't make my wallet wince like the Taurus will. On the other hand, I can get the 1911- or any 1911 for that matter -at any time. That Taurus is rare. No, I don't have a particular need for either. It's not likely I'll be shooting Laser Zombie Bears popping out of the Alaskan snow or any like activities with the 1911.

Yeah, there's probably half a dozen other 1911s you'd choose first or you'd go with the Ruger Alaskan but these are the guys I'm looking at right now. Hit the poll and tell me what's up.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You Decide: 2013! My next pistol!

Post by ollogger »

Heres my 2 cents
dont like self chuckers
1 for the bull

ollogger
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm betting that 454 puts on quite a show with that short barrel. Do they at least make it in 3 inch?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

At the end of the day, a fellow should get what he likes the most.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

They seem like two completely different pistols for completely different needs .

the Taurus looks like a great self-defense pistol if you're backpacking in bear country while the 1911 is a great plinker
/self-defense/do everything pistol

For 500 bucks you may be able to find a gently used Springfield mil spec as well

Ultimately it's your money but if it were my money I'd go for 1911 because for me the 454 would turn into a novelty pistol after the first couple of cylinders through it and it would likely sit unused for months alongside my 4570 encore pistol, A.R. 15 pistols and other assorted oddities which fall under the realm of "fun guns".
A 45 acp I would get tons of use out of though
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:Ultimately it's your money but if it were my money I'd go for 1911 because for me the 454 would turn into a novelty pistol after the first couple of cylinders through it and it would likely sit unused for months alongside my 4570 encore pistol, A.R. 15 pistols and other assorted oddities which fall under the realm of "fun guns".

A 45 acp I would get tons of use out of though
Yep. Although if I had a few 1911's already, I just might be tempted to get a Casull. Probably a wrist-breaker to shoot with that short a barrel though, but I'd be loading it to match my Rossi .454 - more in the ".45 Colt +P+" range, so it might be bearable.

(...get it 'bear'able - a 'bear' gun :D :roll: - well, anyway, time for bed...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I do like 1911s (alot) but I would go for the 454. I think that it would be a good packing pistol in the woods. Not too many 4 or 2 legged varmints that Taurus couldn't deter.

A plus to the 454 is you can also shoot 45 Colt ammo through it for practice or just plinking.

I have a little Taurus 2" model 85 that has shot a steady diet of 125gr +P and has never given me any problems. I am sure that some have had problems with Taurus products but I really think that through the magic of the Internet they have attained a much worse reputation than they deserve.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I voted for the Taurus, because you can always get a 1911 -- and a good one for that price. However, the Taurus is more one of a kind. However, it really depends on your circumstances. As an earlier poster said...will you shoot it once or twice and then it sits? Or, will you carry it in the woods, perhaps in case Mr. Bear wanders by? If you are looking for a range pistol, or even SD carry, then the 1911 wins I think. However, if you have that niche filled and want something different, or more specialized, then I say the Taurus. Only you can decide...good luck!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I voted 1911.....I'm not familiar with that brand, but, I'll take your word on it. With a good hardcast, flat nose bullet, it should suffice for anything you need to protect yourself from.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't really care for stainless auto-loaders... but if you don't have a 1911, you should!

If you buy the .454, you should really buy one for everyone that suggests it, and make them shoot theirs FIRST!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So far, all of the above opinions above are valid & I agree with...

Ish.

If I HAD to choose between those two specific guns I'd go with the Revolver... if only because it allows "commercial" downloading to .45 Colt CAS Pipsqueek loadsas well as SAAMI .45 Casull Whompums.

I personally don't care for "Full Frame" 1911s, but they are wonderful packages - within their limitations - nonetheless.

Still, in terms of sheer usefullness/broad applicability, the Revolver gets the nod.

PLUS, if you get the hankering, ANY .452 Revolver can have a .45acp cylinder crafted for it.

I had one for my Freedom Arms .454.

My only "gripe" with the Taurus, as with any DA .454, is that it is a DA. I.E. the DA "hump" will HURT YOU when firing "full house" .454 loads.

The .454 Cartridge was developed with the SAA/Birdshead style grip in mind. It is SUPPOSED TO ROTATE IN YOUR HAND ON FIRING. The DA "hump" prevents that... to the extent that the web of your thumb & forefinger can handle it anyway.

Anyway, in the "humble" opinion of a guy who has owned both a full size 1911 AND a 6.5" Casull at the same time - be careful what you wish for. A Snubby Casull is a .45 Colt Shooter that can handle .454 Whompums in a "Holy Bear Poop" situation.

The 1911 is a Self defense gun that can be fun in competitions.

Different guns, different uses. Not really comparable.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

smith and wesson 500!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

but would not mind the 454 in a longer barrel..for hunting..
that snubby isnt good for much else except for self defence
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The revolver gets my vote, I hate picking up brass:D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 2" 454 is like a democrat.......useless. If I'm gonna get another 1911, its gonna be a Colt or a Springfield
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would vote for the 454 between the two choices, but not such a stubby. I had a Taurus 454 with the long 8" barrel a while back, and even it was a handful. I would want a minimum of a 6" barrel. I think you would find it didn't get shot very much just because of how punishing it would be with full power loads. If you download it to reasonable levels, you may as well get a 45 Colt.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

$575 OTD, from my friendly FFL, last Spring.

Made in America ILO the Phillipines or South America counts as extra points for me.

FWIW, A 2" .454 will bite you in the butt, and hand you a piece back...................... :roll:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have two rageing bulls in the "extended" Family out on the Farm.both have seen 1000's of rounds,been loaded with +P loads and still keep on truckin. But.....I....don't want to shoot one with a 2" barrel. NO Way. :shock: .
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Neither, being familiar with both.

I'd get a Ruger for a .454, or a S&W (not sure if Ruger currently makes a .454, they keep changing their minds).

In a 1911, a Ruger, Springfield or Remington for a base gun.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE the looks, history, feel, and performance of a 1911 Colt especially the full size versions. If I had to go smaller I'd probably get a Glock.

As far as big bore magnum revolvers are concerned I'm from the school that anything with a barrel length less than 5 inches and you're just wasting powder, and making allot more noise and muzzle flash. I do appreciate the quality of Taurus firearms, I own several, and my favorite is my stainless model 44 with 6.5 inch factory ported barrel.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

neither! buy a glock model 21 with a double stack mag. Thirteen rds, and managable recoil. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Surprised the margin is so wide in voting.
That said. I literally just realized that I can safely convert a 1911 to .460 rowland. HMMMmmmm... :idea:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Personally, I don't like either one of those guns, much. I love 1911's but don't care for that one, and that I would much rather have a 4 Smith and Wesson 4 inch model 29 or a short Ruger SuperBlackhawk, or hold out for a better 1911.
NRA Life Member, Patron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I voted against both !

Get a REAL gun get a S&W 629 4" :!:

I'm not much on Taurus in anything they make .

1911's are 1911's if you had one ......, need I go on .

454 Casull while intresting ain't all that for shooting alot . I hate picking up brass and a 1911 for me would have to be a reloading affair now .

44 MAG revlover has plenty bite and you do not have to pick up your brass so you can reload .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"The 2" 454 is like a democrat.......useless. If I'm gonna get another 1911, its gonna be a Colt or a Springfield"

I'm with Sixgun!
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Panzercat wrote:I literally just realized that I can safely convert a 1911 to .460 rowland. HMMMmmmm... :idea:
Now you're talkin', sounds like a plan, and much more affordable than buy 2 guns. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Do you gave the hand strength to work the slide?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

If you don't have a decent 1911 in .45 acp....GET ONE.
I've also never heard of "UMAREX" or whatever that name is..If it's a decent clone that will go off every time it should, and shoot at least as good as a std. government model, you'll be MUCH BETTER served than you would by owning a 2.5 in. .454 Casull. I don't often try to tell folks what to do, but since you asked....In my opinion....a 2.5 in. "Raging Bull" .454 Casull is simply a "STUNT GUN". Built for no reason other than "because they could", and because there's a sucker born every minute.
BTW: Any fool that believes that they're gonna use one of those to protect themself from a Bear had better be planning on shoving it down Said Bear's throat before pulling the trigger. Unless they're sincerely training with hundreds of rounds per week, under actual STRESSFIRE conditions....they're gonna be better off buying 2 of them, tieing them together with a piece of rope making a bolo to trip the bear.
That's just my opinion and not worth any more than what you paid for it...but then...you asked.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Mescalero wrote:Do you gave the hand strength to work the slide?
That's what my robot butler is for 8)

Okay, thanks for all the awesome input. Gonna go with the 1911. Like I said, I've got first hand experience with the Regent/Umarex brands and Gunblast likes 'em too. Hell, here's a youtube from hausofguns. The fact that I can throw on a .460 Rowland kit pretty much satisfies the hand cannon urge that has me wanting a .454 as well.

Win/win :D

The final polling tally is:
1911- 49%
Taurus- 17%
Robot butler dragging me behind a Volkswagen via bungee cord- 34%