Re: Anybody have a 375 Ruger? Update W/ Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I just got a smokin' deal on a left handed African Model M77. It should come in by Friday and I have found lots of load data for heavy loads but nothing for reduced loads with cast bullets. I want to do this so I can practice a lot with it (never owned a left handed bolt gun even though I'm a southpaw). The case capacity is slightly larger than a 375 H&H and I was planning on just starting with the cast loads published for the old H&H but would like to hear some input from those who have tried it. Has anybody done any work in this area with this cartridge? Thank you in advance,

Eric
Last edited by yooper2 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody have a 375 Ruger?

Post by Rusty »

AJMD has one he'll chime in before long.

It sounds like a good combo with cast bullets though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hey lucky you on finding the 375! good going

lyman 49th Ed. has some

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Got the 'Alaskan' version, and it is a really nice gun. Another forum member had posted how his .375 H&H was kind of a do-everything gun, and not just a 'powerhouse' one. Traded some other guns and got the Alaskan.

Haven't reloaded for it yet (got 100 factory rounds I'll shoot up first), but I agree that you should be able to find some great low-power cast loads for it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
In the Lyman 4th ed, cast bullet handbook, p196 is dedicated to the .375 Ruger and cast bullets.. 249, 264, and 335 gr.. If you don't have access, let me know and I'll post what's there....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I have no experience with the 375 Ruger. I'm just chiming in here 'cause someone mentioned the .375 H&H, which is my absolute favorite cartridge on the planet for wide-ranging utility. I have a feeling the .375 Ruger is going to prove itself to be like that as well.
My .375 H&H Mauser has been to Africa with me on 3 occasions shooting only jacketed, full power loads. Back on this side of the pond, I've done a bit of research working up cast loads for it and here's what I figured out so far...( Some of this might apply to your Ruger too...):
The Lyman 375248 plain base bullet tends to do better in 375 Winchester and 38/55 applications. The Lyman 375449 gas check bullet has become my choice for the Holland&Holland. (Mine drop out at 276 gns) Since we're talking about 2 different calibers, I won't get into load specifics, just wanted to share some experience with bullet selection.
Good luck with that Savage...I'm also a lefty, and started to drool just a bit when I read your post.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this rifle.

pshort,
If you wouldn't mind posting the data I'd really appreciate it. My copy is the old 3rd edition that my grandfather gave me.

Got a email from Midway this morning saying that brass, dies, gas checks, and lyman mold 375449 have shipped. If all goes well I'll have ammo together when the rifle get here.

Eric
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Lyman 375449 from 4th ed, Lyman Cast bullet Handbook.
24"bbl, 1-12 tw, .375 GR ID... *=rec powder (in book)

Powder // START fps (psi K) /// MAX fps (psi K)
.................................................................................................................
SR4759// 29.7 1767 (28.2) /// 33.0 1894 (34.8
5744 // 33.7 1765 (23.8 /// 37.5 1899 (28.1) *
IMR4198 //33.5 1750 (21.7) /// 37.0 1885 (26.1)
Rx7 // 34 1733 (20.8 /// 38.0 1878 (25.5) **

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks Paul! I owe you one.

Eric
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

guido4198 wrote:I have no experience with the 375 Ruger. I'm just chiming in here 'cause someone mentioned the .375 H&H, which is my absolute favorite cartridge on the planet for wide-ranging utility. I have a feeling the .375 Ruger is going to prove itself to be like that as well.
My .375 H&H Mauser has been to Africa with me on 3 occasions shooting only jacketed, full power loads. Back on this side of the pond, I've done a bit of research working up cast loads for it and here's what I figured out so far...( Some of this might apply to your Ruger too...):
The Lyman 375248 plain base bullet tends to do better in 375 Winchester and 38/55 applications. The Lyman 375449 gas check bullet has become my choice for the Holland&Holland. (Mine drop out at 276 gns) Since we're talking about 2 different calibers, I won't get into load specifics, just wanted to share some experience with bullet selection.
Good luck with that Savage...I'm also a lefty, and started to drool just a bit when I read your post.
I've killed deer with the 375449 in a Marlin chambered for 375 WIN
and I liked it but not as much as I liked the two molds Ranch Dog designed for the 375/38-55 . I like you also have a 375 H&H MAG and like you it's only been a jacketed bullet deal for me in both the Interarms Mark X I had and the Ruger #1H I have now .

I've popped a couple deer with the Mark X shooting the no longer made Nosler 260 grain Ballistic Tip and it did a great job and without much meat loss . Actually there was less meat loss using the 375 H&H MAG then I would normally have with a 7mm REM MAG shooting a Nosler 150 BT handload .

I am thinking anything the 375 H&H can do the 375 Ruger should be able to also !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:I am thinking anything the 375 H&H can do the 375 Ruger should be able to also !
Except those cigar-shaped Holland & Holland cartridges just have an African 'mystique' about them that nothing else quite duplicates...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I am thinking anything the 375 H&H can do the 375 Ruger should be able to also !
Except those cigar-shaped Holland & Holland cartridges just have an African 'mystique' about them that nothing else quite duplicates...
You should be here when I load for my gunsmith buddies "Arkansas Battery" !

His 375 H&H MAG , 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs all look very Afrikanar :lol:

I stopped at the 416 REM MAg myself (the lone 458 WIN MAG I had would literally beat the s...h...i...t outta you ) !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

yooper2 wrote:I just got a smokin' deal on a left handed African Model M77. It should come in by Friday and I have found lots of load data for heavy loads but nothing for reduced loads with cast bullets. I want to do this so I can practice a lot with it (never owned a left handed bolt gun even though I'm a southpaw). The case capacity is slightly larger than a 375 H&H and I was planning on just starting with the cast loads published for the old H&H but would like to hear some input from those who have tried it. Has anybody done any work in this area with this cartridge? Thank you in advance,

Eric
Howdy Pard...........and congrats on the purchase! :D

Just a few words....once you get into that honey of a rifle & cartridge.....you are going to fall in love. I don't see any difference between them, but then, I've only used the H&H for over 35 yrs. As others have written, I can only extol the virtues of the two (peas in the same pod). Here's a load using the "449" that has fed my family in the tough times:

try 24 grs. 2400, #449 lyman (mine cast about 283 grs.) std. rifle primer. No filler & no need to orientate the rifle prior to shooting. It will go thru both shoulders of an Elk & go whistleing down the canyon beyond. Recoil is almost non existent. If the 'boolet is heat treated, it has gone thru an Elk lengthwise. It can't be any better than that.

One thing though...you just might find yourself shooting just that rifle, while the others in the safe mount a protest that you're shootin' it too much. It's totally addictive. There's somethin' real special about them both, it feels like lightning & thunderbolts in both hands. The .416 Ruger should be even better...tarnation!...what a pair! :o

You should be able to use any H&H loaing data published including cast data.

I hope you get it out & nail something with it. A Moose, an Elk, or a biiiiig bear. A deer would be a piece of cake for the cast load. Try some .38-55 loads (velocity) like mine or some round ball loads for small game.

As much of a levergunner as I am, I still adore my old mauser & the .375 H&H. Y'all will find such with your new Rugers.

Back on vacation until spring....

LB
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

LeverBob wrote:try 24 grs. 2400, #449 lyman (mine cast about 283 grs.) std. rifle primer. No filler & no need to orientate the rifle prior to shooting. It will go thru both shoulders of an Elk & go whistleing down the canyon beyond. Recoil is almost non existent. If the 'boolet is heat treated, it has gone thru an Elk lengthwise. It can't be any better than that.
Interesting - that's not all that much more powder needed than my 'Ruger' .44 Mag load, so it is evidently pretty efficient.

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Lever Bob,
Thanks for the info! I will definitely do some hunting with it before I go to wild and wooly place. I'm thinking a black bear and a couple of deer with cast bullets are on the menu.

Eric
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I got the Howa w/ SS 24" barrel. Ive been using a Lee 255 gr 38/55 bullet unsized and Lee a lox tumble lubed. I don't resize the cases and seat the bullets by hand. Final seating takes place when the bolt is closed. LR mag primers and 16gr(unfortunately discontinued powder) AL-7. 100 yd groups run under an inch to about 1 1/4". Leading is almost non existent. Velocity is in the 1400 FPS range. No experience on game- just a practice load. I have used the Hornady 225 interlock on a small whitetail buck at 70 yd and the meat loss was about what you'd see w/ a 308 or 06. Cast bullet has no recoil, and the Howa with the rubbermaid stock really eat recoil of the full house 300gr loads. I think something like 5744 in the 15-20gr range will behave as the AL-7.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've been shooting this rifle a bit and love it! It has a great set of sights and a perfect trigger. Here are a couple of photos.

I've only shot about 80 rounds so far all off hand just getting a feel for it. Haven't bothered with putting it on paper yet but I'm hitting everything I aim at. Next week I'm going to start doing real load development.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's a tough/great looking rifle. Makes a person wanna tromp around Alaska or Africa. Nice to see the bolt on the correct side. How's the recoil? 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

It really is a rifle to make a fella dream. With 270gr. cast loads moving about 1800fps it feels about like an '06. With full boogie 300gr loads you definitely know it went off but it is by no means violent. Ruger put a good recoil pad on it, soft but not sticky. I think most anybody could learn to handle the recoil. However, I haven't shot it from a bench yet. That might change perceptions a bit.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

yooper2 wrote:It really is a rifle to make a fella dream. With 270gr. cast loads moving about 1800fps it feels about like an '06. With full boogie 300gr loads you definitely know it went off but it is by no means violent. Ruger put a good recoil pad on it, soft but not sticky. I think most anybody could learn to handle the recoil. However, I haven't shot it from a bench yet. That might change perceptions a bit.
I read the trajectory of the 270 grain factory loads is about as flat as a .270 Winchester...! 8)

For shooting off the bench, a 'Lead-Sled' helps, or just a coat or bag behind the gun.

I have a home-made 'Lead-Sled' I made from scraps and hardware-store stuff that works real well (made one myself to get the clearance needed to work levers without lifting the gun).
ImageImage

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

AJ,
I've often considered making a sled but for how often I shoot guns from the bench it hasn't been a priority. This rifle might change that though. Offhand it really isn't that bad, just rocks you back a bit like a hot 45-70.

I also got my paws on a paper patch mold today, should be interesting.

Eric
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is a beautiful rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...