Sight Mark Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Sight Mark Sight

Post by Pitchy »

I have this sight mounted on my Smith M&P-15-22.
These things must be distance sensitive, i have it sighted in POA at 25 yards but when i shoot it at 5 yards it shoot four inch low.
What the heck?

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hobie

Re: Sight Mark Sight

Post by Hobie »

It is due to the height above bore center... Same thing happens with a scope, iron sights. Ideally you could see down the bore as a sight. Maybe when they put nano cameras in the noses of the bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks.
Took it off and used the factory fixed sights and it shot poa at 25 and 5 yards. or dern close.
I want to use it for my next bullet hole art shoot as it holds more ammo and i have two mags, 50 rounds.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Did a test run with the Smith, going back to the Henry, that has a bead front that shoots real good.
Lever gun wins again. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

You're obviously a true artist, Pitchy, dedicated to you medium. :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Issues like these ca often be improved by incliing the sight.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m going to leave it off, don`t like worrying about batteries anyway.
The factory peep is reliable. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie is right about height-above-bore being the issue, NOT the type or brand of sight.

Think of the bullet trajectory as a big arc, and for practical purposes you will be placing a straight line somewhere on that arc that intersects it in two places. The distance between those intersections will relate to your 'point blank range' - which is the closest and farthest distance you can just aim 'dead-on' and hit your target. The size of your target/tolerance for error determines how far you are willing to have that line (of sight) be from the (bullet) arc at the maximum point.

For 'combat' purposes, the range of 'point blank' shooting may need to be out there a ways - say 100 to 500 yards, for a ten-inch target zone. THAT is accomplished better with a HIGH line of sight, well above the bore axis, because that means the first intersection can be relatively far away, and the second even farther.

For 'hunting' or 'target shooting' purposes, the range of 'point blank' shooting may be better with a far intersection out around a hundered yards or so, which means the close intersection, even for a 4 inch target zone, could be very close, perhaps even at the muzzle. THAT is best accomplished with a very low sight axis, so it's what most of us want on our guns.

In the instances where a hunter or target shooter wants to shoot long range (or if desiring super-precise shots at closer range), often there is time to accurately range the target and adjust the sights, so a low-axis sight can still be useful for 'us' shooting long distances as well as near, vs. 'combat' situations where there is no time for ranging and targets constantly appear at unexpected locations. They should do best with high sight-axis setups. Of course the long-range sniper is more akin to a target shooter, and will individually range and adjust sights, so high-axis introduces more other error-factors than it would be worth for them.

For the purpose of 1/4" or less accuracy needed for Pitchy's project, a low-axis sight might make it easier to put the first shot there accurately, and a high-axis one would require individual re-adjustment for changes in range (even relatively small changes, if close up). With my vision, if I had to try what Pitchy's doing, i'd want a nice bright scope, and I'd have to re-sight-it-in at each new range. Probably 5-10 yards would be the farthest I'd try to shoot that accurately, though I'm sure there are guys who could do it at 50 or 100 yards with their centerfire match guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:It is due to the height above bore center... Same thing happens with a scope, iron sights. Ideally you could see down the bore as a sight. Maybe when they put nano cameras in the noses of the bullets.
This^^^...I try to get the lowest mounts possible...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Who aims at 5 yards? At that range, I'll just give the *** a verticle buttstroke. (yea, sometimes I don't make sense)-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Remember the point was to be able to shoot holes following a line at five yards.
I could of adjusted the red dot to hit right on at that distance but didn`t feel like messing with it.
The factory rear sight adjusts easy but it still wasn`t as easy to keep on the line that the Henry was.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Who aims at 5 yards? At that range, I'll just give the *** a verticle buttstroke. (yea, sometimes I don't make sense)-------6
The Teams @ CQC :idea: Never thought about that before...they must have specialized sights so they have both long and close range ability.....or, different settings?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Same thing happens with compound bows with sights on them. Shooting at close targets for the hunter leagues, you have to use a lower pin. On my bow, I would hold just shy of my 30 yard pin for these shots. Sometimes the target was only six or seven feet away, and all four team mates were trying to fit an arrow into a quarter sized hole.

Kevin
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

Fer a minute there I thought maybe ya had a mouse in the house ya was fixin to blast , talkin 5 yds an all :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hayseed wrote:Fer a minute there I thought maybe ya had a mouse in the house ya was fixin to blast , talkin 5 yds an all :lol:
Naw, shoot them with the shotgun. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.