Preparing for winter blues...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Preparing for winter blues...

Post by alnitak »

With the weather changing, been thinking about winter indoor activities. Seems like my shooting always takes a holiday for a few months as the days get shorter, the temperature drops and the winds get brisk. Rather than driving 45 minutes each way to get to my outdoor range, and seldom at that given with the decreased daylight hours, I've been thinking of setting up something in my basement.

There have been a couple of threads here over the years that talk of such things as rubber bullets, paraffin bullets, .22 sub-sonics, etc. as being acceptable for indoor use. So was thinking of maybe going the paraffin route driven by just a primer. I believe the reloading method is relatively straight forward...melt the wax in a pan, let it harden and then push the empty shell into the wax. (Do I need to enlarge the flash hole?) My questions are more about the shooting itself.

For example, how loud would they be? What kind of velocity can I expect and what kind of backdrop is needed? Do the bullets just deform, or do they shatter into a million pieces? I assume I'd have to use a revolver; could I shoot them in a semi (9mm) with a reduced power recoil spring? What is a good effective range...10 feet? 20? 40? Any effects from the paraffin on the barrel? Does accuracy suffer (my wife would have my scalp if I started putting holes in the walls!)? Etc?

What do I really need to know before trying this out?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Preparing for winter blues...

Post by Blaine »

My only advice would be to use air powered firearms, unless you have super ventilation, and the ability to filter out particulates with a HEPA filter. It's now known that those shooting byproducts are not at all safe for you. (just my opinion....worth exactly what you paid for it :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Yeah...because of the lead, I've been reading that you need good ventilation. Will just have to open the windows and plug in a fan I guess.

I've also been reading about "gluebits" or "gloolits"...hot melt glue bullets made from a lead mold (first sprayed with PAM). Apparently you can reuse these things...and shoot them out of a semi-auto! Would love to use them in my .45! They seem to have more kick than wax bullets, so will need 3-4 layers of cardboard.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ue-boolits

Apparently CAS shooters have been practicing quick draw with these types of bullets for years. Seems like just the thing for the garage! I may have to purchase a .45 mold.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've done the hot glue bullets before. Fun, but watch out for the ricochet if you're shooting at a block of wood! :oops: That hurt!

I got out my air rifle just the other day for the same reason along with the fact that we've had a lot of crows hanging around.
I rarely shoot a critter anymore just for the heck of it but I've always hated the dirty buggers!

Fun part was, I sighted it in again on a book my former employer gave me. I think I'll send it back! :D

I made a backyard load in .308 Win. with a .310 Round ball and 8 grains of IMR 4064. Was quieter than my air rifle and darned fun messing with the squirrels! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have used the hot glue bullets in my 45 acp. They are reasonably accurate at across the garage distances. They are louder than I thought they would be, and suspect they can be easily heard by any neighbors that might be outdoors.
NRA Life Member
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

TedH wrote:I have used the hot glue bullets in my 45 acp. They are reasonably accurate at across the garage distances. They are louder than I thought they would be, and suspect they can be easily heard by any neighbors that might be outdoors.
Good to know Ted. I live in a suburb community, with 1/4 acre to my name (well, the bank's name). Had planned to shoot them inside, but with having to open the windows/garage doors, I doubt it will deaden the sound much. And if the cops are called, I suspect they would see me in violation of a number of laws -- probably treat me like I was shooting live ammo rather than an air rifle of some sort. There's even laws against them in some places here.

May have to rethink this...
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

When I was much younger, I shot lot's of paraffin boolits. I made mold which consisted of a block of aluminum drilled with several holes, just large enough to accept a .30 caliber gas check. I drilled out the flash holes in some old .30-06 cases and loaded the gas checked, 5/8" long boolits in front of magnum large rifle primers. The gas check kept them from fouling the bore of my, then brand new, DCM Remington 03-A3 for about 6-8 shots before accuracy fell off, IIRC.

We would "butter" a 4" or 5" scrap of 2x4 with peanut butter and place it in the middle of my folks 2 car garage, then go watch TV for a while. After a suitable time period, one of us would shoulder the rifle and the other would flip the garage light switch on. Sometimes there were several large yard roaches feasting on the peanut butter in the dark. The first shot almost always resulted in a splattered roach, but subsequent shots were problematic because sometimes the 03 would chamber the flush seated wax wadcutters and sometimes it would balk.

My BIL holds the record with three confirmed KIA with three shots! I killed two several times. Nothing like "hunting" in your own garage.
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Treetop wrote:When I was much younger, I shot lot's of paraffin boolits. I made mold which consisted of a block of aluminum drilled with several holes, just large enough to accept a .30 caliber gas check. I drilled out the flash holes in some old .30-06 cases and loaded the gas checked, 5/8" long boolits in front of magnum large rifle primers. The gas check kept them from fouling the bore of my, then brand new, DCM Remington 03-A3 for about 6-8 shots before accuracy fell off, IIRC.

We would "butter" a 4" or 5" scrap of 2x4 with peanut butter and place it in the middle of my folks 2 car garage, then go watch TV for a while. After a suitable time period, one of us would shoulder the rifle and the other would flip the garage light switch on. Sometimes there were several large yard roaches feasting on the peanut butter in the dark. The first shot almost always resulted in a splattered roach, but subsequent shots were problematic because sometimes the 03 would chamber the flush seated wax wadcutters and sometimes it would balk.

My BIL holds the record with three confirmed KIA with three shots! I killed two several times. Nothing like "hunting" in your own garage.
That's great!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The place in N.M. I can shoot all I want, if my neighbor comes over the only question he asks is " can I shoot next ".
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The place in N.M. I can shoot all I want, if my neighbor comes over the only question he asks is " can I shoot next ".
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I used to shoot the wax bullets in the basement but it got to be a pain making them. I have a trap in my garage that will stop a rimfire but the smoke gets pretty heavy after 50 rounds. I have switched to my Sheridan Blue Streak. Less noise and no smoke.

I usually cast bullets in the winter time when it's too cold to go to the range.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I bought a Weihrauch HW35E airgun for just such planning. We get some winter up here too. 22 Caliber mid power was my choice so I could hunt rabbits and prairie chickens up close. But mainly in the basement and in the shop at work for some extra range. The rifle was a premium price but it has an adjustable trigger better than my powder rifles and a nice walnut stock and bluing better than my Marlin when new! It is also a full size rifle in fit and weight. I also consider it a lever action, the lever is about 20 inches long.

The beauty of airguns is zero grief. A box of pellets and a break barrel spring gun. If a guy is worried about lead they even make plated pellets. Just be aware they are tough on scopes because a double recoil pulse.

For practice many folks like 177 pellets as they are cheaper and good for practice. Pyramid Air has a good blog and articles on airguns.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Have used rubber bullets with the primer only and enlarged flash hole. Revolver only, they are as loud as the primer. There's a little "bulb" sound but it is not louder than the primer. Accurate at 12 yds. Backstop was rolled up carpet in a cardboard box. Did put a little desktop fan in the window for ventilation.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Canuck Bob,
Could you please elaborate about hunting prarie chickens?
How do they taste?
It is my understanding they are very difficult to have permission to hunt them in this country.
How do they relate in size to other birds?
As you can now tell, I am completly ignorant of them.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Once you have tried a GOOD air rifle you'll never go back to wax bullets. Every shot in the same hole at 10 meters if you can hold it that well, ammo so cheap it not worth mentioning. Spend the bucks, get a fine airgun, never dread winter again, might have send the hounds in to get you out of the basement come spring! :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

jnyork wrote:Once you have tried a GOOD air rifle you'll never go back to wax bullets. Every shot in the same hole at 10 meters if you can hold it that well, ammo so cheap it not worth mentioning. Spend the bucks, get a fine airgun, never dread winter again, might have send the hounds in to get you out of the basement come spring! :D
Love it!!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have used the paraffin bullets in training on man-vs-man in one of the schools I went to in the early 80’s using just regular primers in revolvers. Rather loud for what I expected and really hurt when hit breaking the skin if it was not covered. If you hit the wall it is hard to get off without leaving a mark and moderately accurate.
In the State Police we used plastic bullets with primers in plastic cases that Hornady used to sell for decision shooting projected images on a white paper screen and the plastic bullets would go through ¼ in plywood at seven yards. Before we worried about ventilation and lead which before I retired from the military had shut down all indoor ranges in my state that were well ventilated.
GO with the air rifle or pistol much more accurate and quieter.
It is not the critic who counts
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

jnyork wrote:Once you have tried a GOOD air rifle you'll never go back to wax bullets. Every shot in the same hole at 10 meters if you can hold it that well, ammo so cheap it not worth mentioning. Spend the bucks, get a fine airgun, never dread winter again, might have send the hounds in to get you out of the basement come spring! :D
+1 to that. I used to use mine just in the wintertime but the last few years I've been shooting it some even in good weather, just because I have a 20 mile drive to get to a decent shooting spot anymore. Isn't quite as soul-satisfying as a cartridge rifle but as far as the eye and trigger finger are concerned, the shooting is the same.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

anybody try a kid's airsoft gun? shoots the little yellow pellets?

Wasn't there a Win 94 copy that used those?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I used to have a little backstop down in the basement. Tried about everything known to man.......Speer plastic bullets, wax, cb loads, 1 gr. bullseye loads, bb guns. Yea, it all worked but it got boring...........real fast.

When winter comes, I watch the weather reports and as long as its not windy, I'll put on double long underwear, bring along a little propane heater, and head to the gunclub. :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

What is this "winter" of which you speak? It's 77 degrees with 96% humidity here. :(
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Then there is living in Texas. Most winter days are above the freezing mark, and we seldom get snow in the Dallas Area. On of the outdoor ranges in my area, Alpine gun range http://www.alpinerange.com, is open most of the time. They close Christmas day and a few other holidays, but I have never had a difficulty finding them open when I had time to shoot. They are open Sundays, and if our Church is not shooting skeet, I can go to Alpine and shoot rifles or pistols. I have not yet put on a jacket this fall, but if I spent much time outside, then I might need one. The downside of this great warm weather is that we get a bunch of insects most of the year.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

piller wrote:Then there is living in Texas. Most winter days are above the freezing mark, and we seldom get snow in the Dallas Area. On of the outdoor ranges in my area, Alpine gun range http://www.alpinerange.com, is open most of the time. They close Christmas day and a few other holidays, but I have never had a difficulty finding them open when I had time to shoot. They are open Sundays, and if our Church is not shooting skeet, I can go to Alpine and shoot rifles or pistols. I have not yet put on a jacket this fall, but if I spent much time outside, then I might need one. The downside of this great warm weather is that we get a bunch of insects most of the year.
I was just thinking the same thing pillar! Late fall, most of winter and early spring are our "Chamber of Commerce" weather days down here along the SE Texas coast.

We usually have 1-2 weeks of winter which requires me to wear long pants and a jacket. The rest of the year it's shorts, Columbia fishing shirts and Crocs for me. Summers are unbearably hot, humid and looong...

I look forward to each cool front that lowers the overnight temperature into the 50s or 60s, so I can plug in the RCBS pot and spend a few evenings casting without sweating too much. I usually spend some of our 1-2 weeks of winter "smelting" the lead I've scrounged all year into ingots. Tt.
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC