J P Sauer 45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

J P Sauer 45

Post by pwl44m »

My Dealer (Guns) called Me today ,said He has a couple Guns I might be interested in. One is a nickled J P Sauer and sohns- Hawes western marshall in 45 Colt. Nice looking Gun with Pearl looking grips. Action is pretty smooth but the finish leaves a little to be desired. The polish job is excellent but the parts that don't readily show could have used some more work. The hammer being the worst with milling marks still visible. It is a 1976 gun with supposidly 3 rounds fired through it and it really looks to be true.
I don't recall the quality on these Guns and am looking for input as to whether these were Junk or pretty good pieces. I must say the asking price seems a little out of line at $1100. They are consignment pieces so the dealers hands are pretty well tied.
The other piece is a Mauser Broomhandle with the long barrel not the Bolo. Pretty rough Gun, no blue, pitted, magazine spring is broken at the base plate and something is wrong with the firing pin, I think it is too short and the spring seems too strong. All the #s match except for the barrel and slide (one piece). It has green grips and it seems I remember something about that. Now for the "biggie" He told Me that it is 9mm. (RED Flag), while they did make some in 9 it wasn't many and the grips indicated such. I called Him on it and He said the consigner told Him that. I think they were all 7.63 at least Mine were. He had a 7.65 round handy which slipped in and it was just larger than the bore. So he got out a 9mm to compare and it was way larger than the bore. There aint no way that gun would fire that round without exploding even if the Guy did say He fired it. I flat out told Him that if the Guy said He fired 9mm's in it that He lied. I suggested He call the Guy and have Him take the Gun home. Now for the stickler- He wants $1000 for it. At best it is a $250 gun and that would be pushing it.
Why am I telling U all this, just rambling and letting U know what is out there but I would like some input on the SA 45.
Cheers - Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: J P Sauer 45

Post by Mescalero »

I have one of those (blued) it is a parts gun I obtained.
It needs some replacement parts, but it lived it's life as a gunfighters gun in a old west show at
Rawhide in Scottsdale,Az.
The wear is normal for a gun that gas been through that, it should stand as durability of the gun.
I think the price is way out of line, but I am not as up on things as some of the others
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

The price would be extremely high here. I see them offered for sale in blue finish periodically,
and in excellent condition, they aren't fast sellers at a top-dollar price of $400.

They do appear to be well made (West German quality), but that price is obscene, IMHO.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mescy and John, I wholeheartedly agree the price is way too high. It certainly is not a Collector, it is a 45colt six gun.
The only reason I am remotely interested is that I have 2 Leverguns in that caliber and no six shooters.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

J P Sauer is a good name, it is not a piece of junk.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

J P Sauer did produce a number of high quality firearms, but in my opinion many of the single action revolvers imported into the U.S. weren't their best products. For $1,100 I'd expect at least four of them. I've seen pretty decent ones sell for under $300.