22 ammo shortage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

22 ammo shortage

Post by azmark »

Is 22 Ammo hard to find everywhere? Even WM is always out. If you find it have prices gone up like everything else?
Mark Dickinson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 ammo shortage

Post by jnyork »

Not a round to be had in Yuma.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I haven't looked for .22 specifically lately, but everything else seems to be dried up. This same thing happened right after Obama was elected the first time. .22 was sold out everywhere for nearly a year, and when you could find it, it was $20-$25 per 500. Eventually things settled down and availability went back to normal, and prices dropped a bit. I imagine the same thing is going on now with the buying craze.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Not here yet. Though I have ........... Enough for this life time I think.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Place near me usually had cases of 5,000 in a stack a couple feet deep, four feet wide, and four feet tall, plus 1500-rounds in 30-cal ammo cans, etc, for usually four or five cents per round, which is cheaper (accounting for inflation) than I paid as a teen in the 1970's, but a week or so ago all they had was a half-dozen boxes of #12 bird-shot in .22 LR, and another half-dozen boxes of 50 shorts.

Everyone freaks out over 223 ammo, but in a real Argentina-style collapse it is the .22 LR that is most desireable, as it is 'universal', inexpensive, kills everything from rats in your food storage to poached angus, and is of course 'tactical' (at least if it comes in a zombie-green box :lol: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I haven't seen any around here in over a month.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote: Everyone freaks out over 223 ammo, but in a real Argentina-style collapse it is the .22 LR that is most desireable, as it is 'universal', inexpensive, kills everything from rats in your food storage to poached angus, and is of course 'tactical' (at least if it comes in a zombie-green box :lol: ).
And most critically, it can't be (easily) reloaded...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

rjohns,
Always keep plenty on hand, here, in N.M. and points in-between.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My brother, you are wise!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Before the election, I bought the makings for my favorite rounds, and a bunch of .22 lr and a few mags. I remember the last time the panic set in and you couldn't find nary a bullet or primer. So, I'm okay for a bit, and the panic will settle down soon, I hope.

On that note, I've been waiting for a Kel-tec KSG for a bit. The shop I usually buy from got one. Price $2500, and the fool behind the counter said Kel-tec had raised the MSRP to $1700. In this day in age when folks have access to the internet, it's really, really stupid to lie to a customer. Kel-tec's web site lists the MSRP at $880. This fool has just lost a customer, I intend to stop by tomorrow and let him know. I wonder how much back pedaling he'll do.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I actually haven't counted it lately, but, I suspect I have more than enough.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jeepnik,
follow through, make sure he knows you made him.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:jeepnik,
I bet the shop owner would be interested as well... :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:
Mescalero wrote:jeepnik,
I bet the shop owner would be interested as well... :twisted:
Yea, I'm kind of wondering what his response will be.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The shop where I work is down to 10 boxes of CCI SGB @$7.99 a box and match ammo. We have .22 WRM, .22 WRF, .17 HMR and that is all. The last box of .22 shorts went out the door this morning and it was an old yellow Winchester box. I am told that NOBODY has any from Harrisonburg to Roanoke. I have enough for myself because I saw this coming. :roll: I believe I might have mentioned it a time or two. :wink:

FWIW we are getting in some firearms but even with re-supply I think we are down to about 30 center-fire pistols and fewer revolvers of any chambering. Since we have no modern sporting rifles the 10/22 is the next thing and every one that comes in leaves pretty much the same day.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Back in the mid 90's I started buying a carton of 22 shells every now and then whenever it was on sale or convenient. I kept pace with my shooting and then some. Over the years my supply grew a brick at a time. I never participated in any of the panic buying or hoarding. I have friends that have done the same thing. We are all pretty much set for life now. I have done the same thing with primers. Pays to think ahead.

A Winchester Collector
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If you beleive a revolution is coming;{I DON"T}, perscription drugs and .22 LRF shells are better than gold :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That's the way I did it too.
My primer storage can is a 20mm ammo can.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

One of the good things about being close to the Mexican border , you can buy Mexican anti-biotics
( American made ) across the counter.
Presciption drugs are cheaper also.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My friend's small gun shop, had sold out of 22's, but got a case in today of Remington hollow points. These now come in bricks of 10 boxes with only 40 rds per box, instead of the usual 50 rounds which means that all you get is 400 rounds per brick. The price? $40.00 per brick.

And green tip brass case .223's he got in are $1.28 each selling price after he figured his cost.

He was out of pistols until today. Got three Glocks in a 17, 23, and 22. I bought the 17 before I left, figured it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.

.22 shells are practically non-existent on the shelves, everywhere, almost. I am glad I was already stocked up before this last panic.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

My local WalMart has been out of .22 LR for at least a month. A week ago they had a few boxes of shorts and rat shot, that was it. Now those are gone. Today they had some .30-06 (several flavors), .270 (same), and a few boxes of .45 Colt. I had never seen the .45 Colt before, so that is kind of strange.

They now have a sign limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes of the same caliber.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

As I am a .22 mag shooter, I also have a good supply of that fodder.
You can plan for components of the centerfire stuff.
But rimfire you must have loaded stuff.
The Corbin jacketed bullet making set up will be good for the 5.7 MMJ set up.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I went nosing around this morning - Midway and CTD are down to individual boxes of high-grade Eley Match ammo.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Checked Armslist, it's going very high just like everything else at this point. Checked my stock the other day and gave some to my son in law when he told me he couldn't find any. He was a bit concerned about taking from my stash, so I let him have a peek at one ammo can and pointed at the others and told him I might squeek by.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I guess a lot of us keep our stuff in ammo cans.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Walmarts around here were low or out BEFORE the school shooting and current rush. Some of it may of been election related but I believe most of it was just do to the popularity of .22's for hunting and Christmas. But to my knowledge not one of the local WM's have received anything since.

That's OK, as soon as I knew WM was out and a rush was on I spent some Cabelas points and ordered up about 3200 federals and CCI's. Add that to the 2000 or so I already had and I'm good for the short term. Still, gun show this weekend and my reloading/ammo guy will be there. He's pretty uncanny about always having things I need even in bad times so I'll be there early and grab some more MiniMags plus powder, primers and bullets if available.

After that I'm probably done till after the rush.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Found some .22lr today but it was mostly expensive target stuff. .22 mag is still available widely here. Still some .223 on the shelf here too, but it was expensive match grade or high end hunting stuff.

The main fun shop owner that I visit here is saying that he can't get any 22lr, 9mm or .223 ammo anywhere. None of his suppliers have it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Us .22 Mag. shooters are a definite minority.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:3855,
That's the way I did it too.
My primer storage can is a 20mm ammo can.
Costs a bit more, but I use one of the Pelican cases. Toss in some silica packs and it keeps things nice and dry.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mescalero wrote:Us .22 Mag. shooters are a definite minority.
Yep sure are, I was never one to go along with the majority anyways. Then again it took me 44 years to finally see the light and get a 22 mag.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Yep sure are, I was never one to go along with the majority anyways. Then again it took me 44 years to finally see the light and get a 22 mag.
I have the 9422M, and the Mag Cyl on the Single Six....I consider them useful defense/hunting tools, not plinkers....I think I have 1500 or so..maybe more...I won't be shooting them up needlessly.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I think like lots of folks, I discovered the .22 mag late in life. Never knew what I was missing. Heck, my little NAA .22 mag pretty much lives in my pocket.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:I think like lots of folks, I discovered the .22 mag late in life. Never knew what I was missing. Heck, my little NAA .22 mag pretty much lives in my pocket.
Don't they have a swing out cyl now?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:
I have the 9422M, and the Mag Cyl on the Single Six....I consider them useful defense/hunting tools, not plinkers....I think I have 1500 or so..maybe more...I won't be shooting them up needlessly.
My Single Six absolutely shoots lights out with the W-W 45gr Dynapoints. They average 1240fps out of the 6.5" barrel. I have about 10 times the amount you do. Every time I parked, I hit whatever stores were close by and bought out their supply of Mags. Sorta went overboard but, its better to have too many. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You are right, can't have too many,
now stay with me on this:
Do not sell any of your ammo.
Then we get good deals on guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

66GTO wrote:They now have a sign limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes of the same caliber.
So you bought three boxes of each caliber they had, right. . . ? :lol:

I never stocked-up much on the .22 Mag stuff, since it always seemed so darned expensive (plus, like many here, I view it as a more 'serious' round, vs. just a plinking/training round). Of course now, the regular .22 LR is about as expensive as the .22 Mag, IF you can find any... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Doc,
I regard it as a serious round as well.
I guess that is why I bought a Rem. 597 to go with my 597 L.R.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I think like lots of folks, I discovered the .22 mag late in life. Never knew what I was missing. Heck, my little NAA .22 mag pretty much lives in my pocket.
Don't know. They made 500 or so top breaks, but never put them into the regular line. Too bad, cuz I even talked to them on the phone about it, I guess my powers of persuasion aren't what they were when I was young and single. Then again, I couldn't buy them drinks over the phone. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Don't know. They made 500 or so top breaks, but never put them into the regular line. Too bad, cuz I even talked to them on the phone about it, I guess my powers of persuasion aren't what they were when I was young and single. Then again, I couldn't buy them drinks over the phone. :wink:
Yup....the Sidewinder, and it has an extra LR conversion included. Me Likey :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV