An 1886 - and I done it!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

An 1886 - and I done it!

Post by olyinaz »

Oh my! Walked in to the fun shop today and the shelves were more barren than I've ever seen......but over yonder sat a Winchester 1886 on the racks that'd not been there a few days ago. (Yes, my trolling has reached disease levels! :lol: ) Closer inspection revealed a Mirokuchester 1886 in .45-70, 24" (I think) octagonal barrel, full mag, satin finish on the metal and stocks, and marked "Limited Edition 1 of 500".

I've wanted a .45-70 for ages, but I just can't warm up to a Marlin unless it's an 1881 (too expensive), Brownings are like hen's teeth (and too expensive usually), Italian repros have gotten too expensive and I never see them anyhow, and every Winchester I've seen for several years now has been an original (too expensive) or a Lightweight (don't want). This one was just about right (I'd prefer a high gloss finish), priced at $999, and I'd brought along an old rifle that I didn't want for trade. He gave me a good price so BAM! Done.

I can't pick it up until the 11th of Feb. due to background checks on the gun (it's used, with box and papers). Ho boy, am I pleased!! :D

Grabbed a crummy cell phone photo:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An 1886 - and I done it!

Post by jnyork »

Oly, what's the deal on the background check taking so long. Are you in Arizona or PRC?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice. looks like he has a few nice single actions there. What old rifle you trade in ?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great acquisition - a buddy had one we loaded for.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice!!! If you're going to plink all afternoon, wear a padded vest...that steel buttplate will leave a mark :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jnyork wrote:Oly, WTF, what's the deal on the background check taking so long. Are you in Arizona or PRC?
Background check on the GUN - not me. When someone sells a gun to a gun shop, the county here requires 20 days for the serial number to be reported as stolen before they'll let a buyer walk with it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

3leggedturtle wrote:Nice. looks like he has a few nice single actions there. What old rifle you trade in ?
A Mosin with a bore like a sewer pipe! :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats bro, like mine alot but they do hurt the shoulder.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang, Feb 11th... I hope they'll let you visit it between now and then.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Start cranking out some rounds as you will love shooting that one!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:
jnyork wrote:Oly, WTF, what's the deal on the background check taking so long. Are you in Arizona or PRC?
Background check on the GUN - not me. When someone sells a gun to a gun shop, the county here requires 20 days for the serial number to be reported as stolen before they'll let a buyer walk with it.

Oly
20 DAYS!?!?!?!?! :o :shock: GADZOOOOKS when did they change it to that? When I left in 98 it wasn't more than 10 at the most.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly
20 DAYS!?!?!?!?! :o :shock: GADZOOOOKS when did they change it to that? When I left in 98 it wasn't more than 10 at the most.

Joe
Dammit, Joe, Big Brother knows best :twisted: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

That 20 day wait period would be enough to drive a sane man crazy and go hunt down them sums-o-britches and give them a tast of what they thought...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That SHOULD have a gloss finish on the metal. And I still could 16 long gun stocks in that pic. Looks like a good selection of ammo too... if you don't want too much of a particular flavor!

Nice find. Should also be a 26" barrel unless it's been chopped. And you'll like the weight of it with that buttplate. I know I couldn't shoot mine if it wasn't heavy!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man, the Cadillac of 45-70's. :D Your going to have a blast with that baby.

"crummy cell phone pic"??? I've seen your photography and your cell phone pics put my regular photos to shame.

Yes, this board can really cost us some money. :D --------------6

As for the "waiting game", I've been told by my son, who lives in Colorado, where the wait is now 2 weeks is because of NICS being so slow. BS!! Here in Pa, 2 weeks ago when I bought the Uzi, I had to wait a terrible 2 hours. Thats enough to pee off the Good Humor Man. :D --------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

rjohns94 wrote:Very nice. Start cranking out some rounds as you will love shooting that one!
I'm ordering brass and bullets as we speak! :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Oly check out Midstate Cast bullets. They have some real good prices on .458 diameter bullets.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly
20 DAYS!?!?!?!?! :o :shock: GADZOOOOKS when did they change it to that? When I left in 98 it wasn't more than 10 at the most. Joe
I don't know if it's true, but a friend of mine who is a Deputy told me that they bumped it to 20 days after a family returned from two weeks vacation to find their home robbed. By the time the numbers get filed and logged, it can take 20 days or more if the theft is not discovered immediately, but 20 days is about all the local community will tolerate.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:That SHOULD have a gloss finish on the metal. And I still could 16 long gun stocks in that pic. Looks like a good selection of ammo too... if you don't want too much of a particular flavor!

Nice find. Should also be a 26" barrel unless it's been chopped. And you'll like the weight of it with that buttplate. I know I couldn't shoot mine if it wasn't heavy!
It probably is 26", I didn't measure it. What's odd about the matte finish is how well done and absolutely factory original it looks. Does anyone remember a Miroku 86 in matte blue finish? Whatever the case, it sure looked great.

And yes, they still have a good selection of lever and bolt guns. Shotguns too. Anything "tactical" or semi-auto is vapor; compact pistols and ammo also.

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

3leggedturtle wrote:Oly check out Midstate Cast bullets. They have some real good prices on .458 diameter bullets.
Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: DROOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good find and a great price. I know Miroku made some matte finish 86s in 45-90, had one for about an hour. Does yours have the safety and rebounding hammer?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice find, enjoy it.
It is not the critic who counts
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

NICE :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yep, it has the safety and rebounding hammer. Hopefully it wont give me any trouble, but if it does you guys will square me away.

On another note, I was out scrounging for .45-70 ammo today. No shortage of THAT in Tucson. I found boxes of eight different flavors at the local shops. :shock: Brass, bullets and primers too. Crickey, I'm floating in the stuff now. :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

olyinaz wrote:
Griff wrote:That SHOULD have a gloss finish on the metal. And I still could 16 long gun stocks in that pic. Looks like a good selection of ammo too... if you don't want too much of a particular flavor!

It probably is 26", I didn't measure it. What's odd about the matte finish is how well done and absolutely factory original it looks. Does anyone remember a Miroku 86 in matte blue finish? Whatever the case, it sure looked great.

And yes, they still have a good selection of lever and bolt guns. Shotguns too. Anything "tactical" or semi-auto is vapor; compact pistols and ammo also.

Oly
yes Miroku made them with the matte finish,it's a factory finish. Advertised by Winchester as their "Hunter Finish".Here is one for sale Man! you stole yours!
http://www.gunsamerica.com/908058923/Wi ... he_box.htm
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Get yourself some 5744. 30 grains gives bp velocity and you can up the ante for more velocity. Not position sensitive and gives me good accuracy in my Browning 86. Even use it in my 45-90 86 from 1916. My 86s bore is sorta dark so it needs gas checks to really shoot good.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

You certainly got a great buy on a very fine rifle. I remember seeing that low-glare finish on a couple new '86 rifles at a local shop a few years back.
My own Miroku '86 is a gloss finish take-down model, used mostly for NRA Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette shooting. I tried running some handloads with the old standard Lyman 457125 military 520 grain bullet, but they were too long to feed through the action. I was able to fire them by loading singles directly into the chamber, but silhouette rules specify that the cartridge must be fed from the magazine. I really can't recommend this bullet anyway unless you really like heavy recoil. The 405 grain Lyman 457193 bullet feeds very well and is very accurate, but over the course of a 40 round silhouette match recoil is still a bit much. My favorite bullet in this rifle is the RCBS 45-300-FN, a 300 grain gas-checked bullet that has plenty of power with substantially less felt recoil. I am using IMR 3031 powder.
Good luck, and be sure to give us a range report!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly
yes Miroku made them with the matte finish,it's a factory finish. Advertised by Winchester as their "Hunter Finish".Here is one for sale Man! you stole yours!
http://www.gunsamerica.com/908058923/Wi ... he_box.htm
Yep - that's exactly it. Thanks for finding that!

And thanks for the info and load recipes guys. I've got brass and bullets and primers, but no powder to be had locally other than Blackhorn 209. Thankfully I've found plenty of factory ammo to test, but I'm a bit miffed that right when I finally get a reloading shop and something I'd like to load for the whole obamination goes nuts and buys up all the powder to be had. Dag nab it. :evil:

I am going to load some of that Blackhorn though! I'll report. One of about fifty reports promised...one of these days me and my life will be in the same vicinity...not that anyone is keeping track... :roll:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Comgrats
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot