Shotshell Progressive, MEC 9000?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Shotshell Progressive, MEC 9000?

Post by Griff »

So... who uses a MEC 9000G? I'm thinking of upgrading from the 600Jr. I don't shoot a LOT of shotgun, and reload 12 ga in both smokeless and BP; and load some 20 ga in smokeless. I broke a part off one of my MEC 600Jrs, so it's either upgrade to a progressive in 12 & continue with 20 on the other 600Jr.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Not Levergun, no 1887 in my Safe

Post by Griff »

BTT.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Shotshell Progressive, MEC 9400?

Post by gimdandy »

Griff,
Can't help with the 9400.However l do have a 20 ga. 9000G and a 12 ga. 9000G and these are VERY GOOD presses.l have 28 ga. GRABBER and a 366 Hornaday in 28&20 presently as well , and the 9000G's surely are my favorite. However l do keep a 600 jr in each ga on my benches because in the event that _______ happens , and sooner or later it will , it's just easier to take offending cartridge out of press and finish it on the jr. then go back to the progressive.
l feel very confident in telling you that you'll never go back to loading them all with a 600 jr if the 9400g is near as good as 9000G is. ATB
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Shotshell Progressive, MEC 9400?

Post by Griff »

Ooops, my bad, it is the 9000G!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shotshell Progressive, MEC 9000?

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have a pair of MEC grabbers in 12 and 20 along with a hydraulic unit to run them at our shop in Virginia for sale !

They belong to a friend that wants to sell them . Next time you bring a load thru Virginia if possible you oughtta come by for a look . As the whole mess can be bought cheaper then a new MEC 9000 in any variation .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if you are just loading for SASS then the mec 650 grabber is a better choice
and a lot cheaper......
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I would recommend the Grabber instead. It's just as fast as the 9000g when you figure boxing time in and when you have a screw up the machine doesn't advance itself and compound the problem like the 9000 does. The 650 is an option if you don't need to size(shooting in same gun or O/U) no good for gas auto's. I use a Grabber for my 390 12 ga auto and a 650 for my A-5 and 625 Citori.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Griff,

I've been using Mec presses since 1967, beginning with a Super 250 (I believe that was the model) then moving to a 600 Jr., then to 650's in 12 and 20 as well as 600 Jr's in 16, 28 and 410. I did a lot of skeet shooting back then.

I've been using a 9000G since 1996, and it's all I could want in a shotshell press. These days I shoot some skeet and some sporting clays, but not enough to justify the 9000G. Still, it's on the loading bench, and I'm not likely to get rid of it, but the 600 Jr. would probably meet my needs today.

I doubt you'll regret buying one. It's a great press!
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy Griff

I have two MEC Jrs, which I love, but I have not had much luck with MEC progressive presses. The problem with ALL MEC progressive presses is that if you somehow get out of sequence, and manage to have no hull under either the powder drop station or the shot drop station, the press will happily dump powder or shot all over the press and all over the floor.

A bunch of years ago I bought a 650 from a friend at my club. Never could get it to work right, it kept crushing hulls. When I adjusted it the adjustment would slip. I finally got so annoyed with it that I brought it to a local store and they gave me $25 for it and I was happy to go back to my Jrs.

Two years ago I bought a 9000G from another guy at my club. There is a spring loaded dohickey that would pop off the press if I looked at it crosswise. Then it was shot all over the floor again.

Finally I bought the press I should have bought in the first place, the RCBS Grand. The Grand is specifically designed so that if for some reason there is no hull at either the powder drop or shot drop station, it will not dump powder or shot all over the floor.

I am a much happier camper now.

P.S. I still use the 12 gauge Jr for my Black Powder CAS loads.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I used one in 12 gA for 5 or 6 years, they are a time saver deluxe, I believe i was turning out a box in 6 or 7 minutes, not racing just going thru the motion's.

I would work up a load on the 600 jr and then run ten or 12 boxes off on the 9000G.

The learning curve is pretty small.

They also hold there value well, i sold mine for $75 more than I paid for it new.

Have fun--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!