Get a Colonoscopy!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Get a Colonoscopy!

Post by Grizzly Adams »

No one wants too, and we hear lots of jokes and snarking about the "procedure."

For the last decade, I have encouraged friends and family to get it done - don't put it off. Finally, two of my close friends took my advice and went in. Too late.....both have colon cancer. :cry: Chemo starts this month.........

JUST DO IT!

GA
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Get a Colonoscopy!

Post by Blaine »

I've been getting the "Card Test" for twenty years. Later today, I drink my gallon of Go Juice, and get The Big Green Weenie tomorrow at noon. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

BlaineG wrote:I've been getting the "Card Test" for twenty years. Later today, I drink my gallon of Go Juice, and get The Big Green Weenie tomorrow at noon. :lol:
Good man, BlaineG!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

I'm only 47, but believing in preventative maintenance I had one about a month ago. Everything turned out fine for me, but it sure is nice to know there isn't anything lurking. Sorry to hear about your friends, they'll be in our prayers tonight when we put my boys to bed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Martini450 wrote:I'm only 47, but believing in preventative maintenance I had one about a month ago. Everything turned out fine for me, but it sure is nice to know there isn't anything lurking. Sorry to hear about your friends, they'll be in our prayers tonight when we put my boys to bed.
Statistically, the point where the average person was taking a greater risk by NOT getting the test than by getting it used to be around age 50, if they had no risk factors, but those stats were gathered 25 years ago when the scopes were still first generation and none of the endoscopists had more than 5 years experience. Nowdays the screening colonoscopies are much safer, so the age to start probably should be 45 years or so.

The STUPID among us whined and got insurance to 'cover' them, so the cost went from $225 out-of-pocket to whatever share of $5,000 or so they can weasle out of... :(

The OTHER mistakes I see costing people's lives:
  • Getting useless 'cholesterol' tests that don't measure LDL-P particles instead of just LDL-C in milligrams. You MUST get the 'NMR' type lipid particle test or you're just wasting your money. The 'regular' lipid profile shows some people to be in the lowest 20% risk-wise, when in fact they are in the highest 5% or worse.

Getting a 'blood sugar' to screen for diabetes instead of a fasting insulin/glucose ratio; you'll go ten years as an 'almost-diabetic' and kill off arteries the whole time, unless you know what is going on before you start having high or even 'borderline' sugars.

Women relying on a gynecologist for a 'physical'. Too many missed melanomas (likelier to kill them than breast cancer up to age 50 or so) - I've seen several ones that were clearly in areas 'seen' during a Pap smear that would have killed the women prior to their next annual physical had I not found them. I've also seen several ovarian cancers missed on young women whose gynecologists were too 'polite' to do a rectal exam during the pelvic exam.

Women stopping Paps because they haven't had abnormals, or because they had a hysterectomy. Vaginal cancer is less common than cervical, but common enough we've turned up one every couple of years in just our patient population of a couple thousand patients. HPV is extremely common, and many women have not happened to have a Pap during the few-months when it shows up after initial exposure, so are assumed wrongly to not harbor the virus.

Failure of young people to realize that HPV is transmitted by open-mouth kissing, and doesn't require any more intimacy than that, AND failure of all ages to realize that ORAL cancers are vital to screen for annually (by a dentist), and are often also caused by HPV.

EVERYONE should do an every-four-week skin check for melanomas, and should realize that melanomas are NOT like other 'sun-related' skin cancers; they are actually most common in sites that get lesser amounts of sun (mid-low back vs. upper back, breast area vs. necklace area, and genitalia vs. thighs or abdomen).

Women should do an every-four-week self-check for breast lumps, which they will forget unless they pick the best day of the week (least chaotic day), and mark every fourth one of those days on a calendar, then post it on the bathroom mirror. In addition they should have someone actually instruct them how to do it RIGHT; I see many who only go to gynecologists (whose training focuses on pelvic surgery and delivering babies) and have been instructed so poorly as to how and what to check that they may as well not even be doing it.
I guess in summary, get a GOOD family physician (one not on a 6-minute-maximum time limit like most of the hospitals mandate for physicians they 'own'), and see him or her yearly to keep updated as to the best things to do, individualized for YOUR family history and personal risk factors and priorities.

(Good luck finding one under Obamacare. . . :( )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Great comments/advice AJMD429,
My mom died of colon cancer at age 66 so I started at age 40 with the colonoscopy, now I am 58 have had three or four, as I have poyps every time so I am on the every three to five year plan. It is NOT a big deal, heck you will forget most of it withthe happy juice, so go get it done!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I did last fall. My first time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm hoping for a set of 8x10 glossies....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, the timing of this thread is pretty good. I am waiting to schedule a one-two punch, 10-year colonoscopy as I reach 60, and an endoscopy to diagnose H. pylori ulcer or hiatal hernia. They're gonna get me coming and going. I'll have a magnesium citrate on the rocks, please, and watch the Billy Connolly Youtube once more ...

:oops: :| :lol:
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Martini450 wrote:I'm only 47, but believing in preventative maintenance I had one about a month ago. Everything turned out fine for me, but it sure is nice to know there isn't anything lurking. Sorry to hear about your friends, they'll be in our prayers tonight when we put my boys to bed.
Thank you, Sir :) .

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

dkmlever wrote:Great comments/advice AJMD429,
It is NOT a big deal, heck you will forget most of it withthe happy juice, so go get it done!
When I went in for my last one, the fella that administered the "happy juice," said, "Good morning Mr. Adams. I'll be your bartender today!" :lol: I remember that, but no much else!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm assuming the GI docs will go for at least an endo if not the whole pipe thisbtime around.

Seems like I'm getting one every 3 years or so any more... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Yes guys, listen to Grizzly and the good doctor. I had my first roto-rooter about 3 years ago at age 63. I was fortunate in the fact that my cancer was in a place where the worst could be removed with the re-section surgery. Went thru 6 months of chemo that knocked the remaining cancer down to where the doc put me on a maintenance treatment. After a short while the cancer came back in my lymph nodes. Still colon cancer tho. After several more months of chemo it was again knocked down to where I am on a maintenance drug again. Doc said that they cannot kill the cancer now, and that at any time it could flare up again. The treatments are every 2 weeks for the rest of my life. So yes, get it done now. I had no intention to run on like I did, but the sooner these things are found, the better. I was put to sleep for my tests, and the prep is much worse than the scope.
BlaineG, the pics were not 8x10, but they were in color! :shock: :lol:
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

dennie wrote:Yes guys, listen to Grizzly and the good doctor. I had my first roto-rooter about 3 years ago at age 63. I was fortunate in the fact that my cancer was in a place where the worst could be removed with the re-section surgery. Went thru 6 months of chemo that knocked the remaining cancer down to where the doc put me on a maintenance treatment. After a short while the cancer came back in my lymph nodes. Still colon cancer tho. After several more months of chemo it was again knocked down to where I am on a maintenance drug again. Doc said that they cannot kill the cancer now, and that at any time it could flare up again. The treatments are every 2 weeks for the rest of my life. So yes, get it done now. I had no intention to run on like I did, but the sooner these things are found, the better. I was put to sleep for my tests, and the prep is much worse than the scope.
dennie
I pray that you can live with this for a very, very long time.... :(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

BlaineG wrote:
dennie wrote:Yes guys, listen to Grizzly and the good doctor. I had my first roto-rooter about 3 years ago at age 63. I was fortunate in the fact that my cancer was in a place where the worst could be removed with the re-section surgery. Went thru 6 months of chemo that knocked the remaining cancer down to where the doc put me on a maintenance treatment. After a short while the cancer came back in my lymph nodes. Still colon cancer tho. After several more months of chemo it was again knocked down to where I am on a maintenance drug again. Doc said that they cannot kill the cancer now, and that at any time it could flare up again. The treatments are every 2 weeks for the rest of my life. So yes, get it done now. I had no intention to run on like I did, but the sooner these things are found, the better. I was put to sleep for my tests, and the prep is much worse than the scope.
dennie
I pray that you can live with this for a very, very long time.... :(
Amen. :cry:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Had My first one a few years ago- nuthin. I am on the 10 year plan. I know I waited too long for the first one (over 60) but everything was clear.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Brasspounder
Levergunner

Post by Brasspounder »

Grizzly Adams wrote:No one wants too, and we hear lots of jokes and snarking about the "procedure."

For the last decade, I have encouraged friends and family to get it done - don't put it off. Finally, two of my close friends took my advice and went in. Too late.....both have colon cancer. :cry: Chemo starts this month.........

JUST DO IT!

GA
Outstanding advice. I got my first colonoscopy just after my 50th birthday a couple of years ago and had two large polyps removed. Both tested benign, but I hate to think what they would have become had I skipped the test and let them go on growing.

The worst part of the entire test was drinking the liquid necessary to effect a complete purge. Nasty stuff. It tasted as if someone had wrung a wet dog into a cup.

Get it done, you won't regret it!
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I don't bother, I've been waiting to check out for years, but I'm still here. :P
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Get a Colonoscopy!

Post by hayabusa »

Well I had my first colonoscopy about 4 months ago. Not anything.
So I guess at 67 I am very lucky. I had to drink the 1/2 gallon of juice. I did not think it was too unpleasant.
After the knock out juice I woke up in time for dinner. Had a very good dinner. A piece of cake if you will!!

hayabusa
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I started having the procedure in my late 30's due to some "possible indicators" that were observed at that time. I was on the every ten yr. schedule. Just had one done a couple of months ago. All clear, but they tell me to start planning on every 5 yrs based on the latest results. Fellas...The first 2 I had were "Au natural"...wide awake with the Doc showing me everything on his screen as he went along. Those weren't bad... Now....they use a VERY mild short acting sedative and you get a 20 minute nap, with NO unpleasant after-effects. The ONLY unpleasant thing is the "prep" necessary and the quality of the results is very dependent on how well you do the "prep".
If you're over 50 and haven't had this...DO NOT Delay.
I'm also going to add....if you're in that same age group, and ESPECIALLY if(as I suspect) you're an outdoor type like most of us here), get a full body screen for skin cancer from a dermatologist. I lost a friend last yr. who didn't know he had melanoma in his 52nd year.. until it was too late to treat. 3 months later he was gone.
Grizz....THANK YOU for bringing this up.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thanx for the well wishes guys, it means a lot! So far, so good. Very little side affects from the maintenance drugs. Having to get treatments every two weeks is just something else to deal with. Not all is bad tho. Most of my regular nurses are cute enough that OS would have his picture taken with them! :lol:
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Blaine,
I got the color prints though they were all on one page and a disc so I can load them up on my computer. Really like the one where he turned the lens around and got a shot of the entry orifice. Nothing like seeing you own A---hole from the inside! I have threatened to make that one the background on this computer.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

M. M. Wright wrote:Blaine,
I got the color prints though they were all on one page and a disc so I can load them up on my computer. Really like the one where he turned the lens around and got a shot of the entry orifice. Nothing like seeing you own A---hole from the inside! I have threatened to make that one the background on this computer.
I was going to say...."That's right up my alley...." :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

BlaineG wrote:I'm hoping for a set of 8x10 glossies....
In my file I have some full color shots from my last colonoscopy. I wonder how much they cost my insurance provider? And no, I will not be posting these.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I agree with Grizzly My brother died 4 years ago from Stomach Cancer but he had Colon Cancer first. He told me to get a Colonoscopy so I did that was probably 6 years ago maybe 7 or 8 cannot exactly remember probably closer to 8 but anyway the first one done found an encapsulated Polyp meaning it had cancer in the middle but it had not spread to the colon wall yet. The Doc said I was a success story to him as he likes it when some one like me comes in and catches it before it spreads. I get a colonoscopy every two years The doc gave me a choice of two or three years my choice. I chose three years just to be safe.

So get one it is nothing to mess with.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Had a great Aunt who died of colon cancer before my time and a father who had three surgeries for the same thing.Had it not been for a sharp Nurse he wouldn't have had the first one and wouldn't have made 54,the Air Force had already rubber stamped him as good to go for retirement as it is he made 90.Don't know for a fact that this had anything to do with it but he drank coffee from sun up to sun down and when he had a steak he ate everything,fat and all.Next Colonoscopy for me is two years out,just part of taking care of ones self.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I had my plumbing scoped from both ends last year March, and was given the all clear. That's when I had insurance but haven't had insurance since July 1st of last year so can't afford any check-ups now. How often is scoping recommended?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I had a routine colonostopy 2 1/2 years ago. Mine turned up some bad news. I had surgery for colon cancer. I was/am lucky, didn't need chemo or radiation, but did have a large section removed. I am due for another exam in the near future. Sure beats the alternative. My Wife refers to them as my "annual trip up the Nile".
Happy Trails!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ji: Normally the interval is 10 years, depending on what is found. If polyps, probably a more frequent procedure.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I saw the color pics, I thought it was an alien.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Mescalero wrote:When I saw the color pics, I thought it was an alien.
......abduction. :shock:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Ji: Normally the interval is 10 years, depending on what is found. If polyps, probably a more frequent procedure.
Thanks Bill :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

JI,
My doc said every 5 years.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Hopefully I have medical insurance in the next 4 years.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh Yeah,
It's big bucks.
They put an iv in me, doc says count backward from 10 to 0
I got to 9, I wake up, it is over.